The 2011 Heritage Week takes place from Saturday 20 to Sunday, August 28, and there are numerous sites, parks, castles, monuments and gardens within a twenty five mile radius of Carrick on Suir to visit and enjoy.
Locally, the main focus will be in Tullahought where the Parish Committee has arranged an attractive programme this weekend including a talk about ongoing conservation works at Knockroe Passage Tomb, sports events, a nature walk and photograph exhibition.
Ormond Castle in Carrick on Suir contains the only Tudor House in Ireland and will be open daily from 10am to 6pm with free admission and access by guided tour only. The last tour on any day commences at 5pm.
Cahir Castle is open daily from 9.30am to 7pm and free admission as there is to Swiss Cottage on the Ardfinnan Road.
The Rock of Cashel is a spectacular group of Medieval buildings set on an outcrop of limestone and is open daily from 9am to 7pm.
The Main Guard in Clonmel was built by James Butler, Duke Of Ormond in 1675 as the Courthouse for the administrative area of County Tipperary.
The Famine Warhouse in Ballingarry opens Wednesday to Sunday from 2.30pm to 5.30pm. During the Great Famine, the Warhouse was the scene of the 1848 Rebellion.
The Reginald’s Tower in Waterford is a restored 13th century circular tower originally part of the town’s defences and later used as a mint, a prison and military store. It is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Dungarvan Castle consists of a polygonal 12th century shell keep with an enclosing curtain wall, a corner tower and a gate tower. Admission is free, access by guided tour only and open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Jerpoint Abbey in County Kilkenny is an outstanding example of a Cistercian monastery with magnificently sculptured cloister arcade and is open daily from 10am to 6pm.
Kilkenny Castle has been restored to 1830’s splendour and is set in extensive parklands. It is open daily from 9.30am to 7pm.
St. Mary’s Church in Gowran is a late 13th century structure and includes an aisled nave, a chancel, a tower and features high quality stone carvings. It is open daily from 9.30am to 7pm.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.