Ross Doyle plays a captain’s part as Cashel claim title in some style

West IFC Final replay

West IFC Final replay

Cashel King Cormacs 2-8

Kickhams 0-4

Cashel King Cormacs had a substantial victory over Kickhams in the replay of the Rea Clarke Hennessy intermediate football final, played at New Inn on Wednesday evening.

Kickhams had the breeze in their favour in the first half but Cashel were the stronger force, showing greater fitness, skill and combination. They scored the first point, a free from Ross Doyle, who was to be a major contributor to their success on the night.

Aiden Butler replied for Kickhams in the fifth minute but Seamus Reade put Cashel ahead from a free five minutes later. Cashel had a great opportunity to put their stamp on the game in the 18th minute when they were awarded a penalty but Mickey Coleman’s effort was a weak one and the ball was cleared.

There followed a great period for Cashe;l when Ross Doyle scored three points, two from play, during a five-minute spell. Then in the 26th minute Eddie Walsh finished off a great movement, which began with Simon Delaney at midfield, for a goal to put Cashel leading by 1-5 to 0-1 coming up to half-time. Shane Morrissey pointed for Kickhams to reduce the deficit just before the interval.

Kickhams’ best period of play was immediately after the resumption when they ran at the Cashel defence and had two points in as many minutes.

Cashel gradually regained control of the game and a disputed goal by Eddie Walsh, who finished off a high delivery by Jonathan Grogan to the Kickhmas net in the 14th minute, put them in a commanding position.

During the final quarter Cashel had three more points from Ross Doyle, two of them from frees to give them a final score of 2-8 and a convincing victory over their opponents, who failed to add to the two points scored early in the half.

Cashel were well-served by Philip Taylor, whose running at the Kickhams defence in thefirst half was very effective, Adrian Cummins, Ronan O’Donoghue, Ross Doyle, who played a captain’s part, Michael Coleman and Eddie Walsh. Best for Kickhams were Paul Breen, Aidan Butler, Shane Morrissey and Damien McGrath.

After the game the Hennessy Cup was presented to the winning captain, Ross Doyle, by board chairman, Roger Kennedy. Also present was Shay Hennessy, representing the sponsors.

Cashel King Cormacs: Gearóid Slattery, Tony Hewitt, Ronan O’Donoghue, David Delahunty, Simon Delaney, Jonathan Grogan, Lee Burke, Darren O’Dea, Adrian Cummins, Michael Coleman, Philip Taylor, Ross Doyle (capt.) 0-7, Robert Anglim, Eddie Walsh (2-0), Seamus Reade (0-1). Subs: Michael McDermott for Eddie walsh, Eoghan Ryan for Robert Anglim.

Kickhams: Declan Hogan, Danny Carbery, John Slattery, Brian Horgan, Damien McGrath, Derek Breen, Cathal Morrissey, Paul Breen (0-1), Aiden Heney, Michael Shanahan, Shane Morrissey (0-1), Paul O’Dwyer, David Butler (0-1), Richard Horgan, Aidan Butler (0-1). Subs: DeanThompson for Cathal Morrissey, Oisín Slattery for Richard Horgan, Rory Heffernan, for Danny Carbery.

Ref: Richard O’Connor (Arravale Rovers)