Eire Og Annacarty into County Tipperary SHC semi-finals

Éire Óg Annacarty enjoyed a reasonably comfortable five-point win over Portroe at Semple Stadium in the County SHC quaarter final, winning 1-15 to 1-10.

Éire Óg Annacarty enjoyed a reasonably comfortable five-point win over Portroe at Semple Stadium in the County SHC quaarter final, winning 1-15 to 1-10.

Wing-back Brian Fox and midfielder Kevin Fox sparkled while Ronan O’Brien (0-4) and Pádraic O’Dwyer (0-8) did the damage up front.

Following a superb win against Borris-Ileigh in the previous round Éire Óg Annacarty carried their good form into this encounter and dominated right from the start.

Points from Kevin Fox and Pádraic O’Dwyer helped them into 0-2 to no-score lead inside the opening three minutes. John Sheedy responded with a point from play for Portroe, but the north champions were already struggling all over the field.

Éire Óg franked their dominance with a fine left-handed effort from the impressive Pádraic O’Dwyer in the seventh minute before Darragh Mooney’s long-range free broke to Ronan O’Brien in the eighth and Kevin Fox’s men led 0-4 to 0-1.

The West men stretched their lead to four points thanks to a Pádraic O’Dwyer free in the 14th minute. Éire Óg had already driven five wides, but their dominance was rewarded with a goal in the 15th minute - Dónal O’Dwyer attacked the very heart of the Portroe defence, sucked in the full-back line and then picked out Seánie Ryan whose first-time pull left Darren Gleeson with no chance.

Pádraic O’Dwyer put them 1-6 to 0-1. A John Sheedy free cut the deficit to eight points, but the difference between the sides was illustrated in the 18th minute when Dan Hogan won Darragh Mooney’s puck-out and in flash worked the ball to Ronan O’Brien who fired over a great point off his right hand - 1-8 to 0-2.

John Sheedy scrambled home a goal for Portroe but Éire Óg hit back with a Damian O’Brien point to leave it 1-9 to 1-2 at the break.

Port’ hit two early second half points but Éire Óg replied with a Pádraic O’Dwyer free. Portroe hit back to make it 1-10 to 1-6 but the Eire Og resonse was points from Ronan O’Brien and Pádraic O’Dwyer

Brian Fox and Pádraic O’Dwyer worked a smashing one-two before setting up Ronan O’Brien for his fourth from play while Pádraic O’Dwyer had his fifth from play to make it 1-14 to 1-6.

A John Sheedy free cut the deficit to seven points while Michael Sheedy’s second point from play in the 54th cut the gap to six.

With five minutes of normal time remaining Portroe ‘keeper Darren Gleeson made a fine save to deny Eoin Kennedy a goal before a Pádraic O’Dwyer free concluded the scoring from an Éire Óg Annacarty point view in the 57th minute.

Late points from Portroe substitutes Shane O’Brien and Conor Leo closed the gap to five points.

Éire Óg Annacarty: Darragh Mooney, Michael O’Dwyer, Richard Ryan, Philip McGrath, Brian Fox, Conor O’Brien, Tom Fox, Dan Hogan, Kevin Fox (0-2), Dónal O’Dwyer, Pádraic O’Dwyer (0-8, 0-3 frees), Damian O’Brien (0-1), Seánie Ryan (1-0), Eoin Kennedy, Ronan O’Brien (0-4). Subs: (60th) Michael McGrath for Damian O’Brien.

Portroe: Darren Gleeson, Christopher O’Riordan, Noel O’Halloran, Dermot O’Halloran, Michael Creamer, Colm Gleeson, Simon Kelly, Jimmy Creamer, Justin Conroy, James Ryan, Kevin O’Halloran (0-1, 0-1 sideline), Michael Sheedy (0-2), John Sheedy (1-4, 0-2 frees), John Ryan (0-1), Mark Gennery. Subs: (20th) Dinny Hogan for Justin Conroy, (45th) Shane O’Brien (0-1) for James Ryan, (49th) David Gleeson for Mark Gennery, (56th) Conor Leo (0-1) for John Ryan.

Referee: Johnny Ryan (Boherlahan-Dualla).