Round-up of South Tipp under 21 football games

South u-21 FC ‘A’

South u-21 FC ‘A’

Hewitt and O’Regan star in comfortable Ardfinnan victory

Ardfinnan 1-13 Ballyporeen 0-4

On Sunday last in Cahir the O’Donoghues Motor Factors game did not live up to expectations as Ardfinnan cruised to an easy win against a Ballyporeen side that never got off the ground and when they lost centre back William English in the 10th minute things went from bad to worse. Ardfinnan were in control from the back with Colin Nugent in goal particularly effective; Jonathan Ryan at full back gave no exchange to Danny Barrett while Ml O’Sullivan, Jonathan Murphy, Billy Hewitt, Tom Kirwan and Daniel O’Regan all had their moments, picking off some great points in the first half to lead at the short whistle 0-9 to 0-2 .

The game was only 2 minutes old when Danny Barrett scored a point from a free for Ballyporeen. In the 5th minute Ardfinnan equalised with a point from play from Michael Goonan. Ardfinnan scored a long range point from Tom Kirwan. Ardfinnan went 3 up when Billy Hewitt scored two point from frees. Adfinnan added another point from play by Daniel O’Regan. Kirwan added another point from play. Bally’ scored a point from play with Fionan O’Sullivan getting on the end of a passing movement. Ardfinnan were in control and added 3 more points O’Reagan (2) and Hewitt.

Hewitt and John Carey exchanged points early in the second half. Ardfinnan added two more points from Darren Bray and O’Regan. Bray added another point and then a goal from Hewitt in the 53rd minute.

The final score of the game went to Danny Barrett.

Scorers, Ardfinnan, Billy Hewitt 1-4(4f), Daniel O’Regan 0-4(2f), Darren Bray 0-2, Tom Kirwan 0-2, Ml Goonan 0-1.

Ballyporeen, Dannny Barrett 0-2(2f), Fionan O’Sullivan 0-1, John Carew 0-1.

Ardfinnan - Colin Nugent, Sean Nagle, Jonathan Ryan, Oisin Flynn, Aaron Cowan, Ml O’Sullivan, Darren Bray, Philip Murphy, Gerry Cronin, Tom Kirwan, Billy Hewitt, James O’Mahony, Daniel O’Regan, Shane Fagan, Ml Goonan. Subs Used, Dean O’Mahony, Owen Lambert, Aaron Lonergan, Christopher Lambert.

Ballyporeen - Mikey Sweeney, John Carey, Bobby Breedy, Seamus O’Callaghan, Owen Morrissey, William English, Shane Lynch, John Martin, John O’Callaghan, Niall Barrett, Tommy Sweeney, Anthony Crotty, Noel Vaughan, Danny Barrett, Fionan O’Sullivan. Subs Used Liam McEniry, Kieran Cahill, Ben Mackin, Colm O Callaghan, Aaron Mackin

Referee Brian Tyrrell (Commercials)

O’Dwyer inspires Killenaule to victory

Killenaule 0-11 Mullinahone C.J.K. 0-9

Killenaule were on top in the early stages and two frees well kicked by Joe O’Dwyer gave them an early lead. Gary Cronin scored Mullinahone’s first point from a free. The next two points came from play first from Daniel Guinan (K) and then from Cathal Horan (M). In the 10th and 11th minutes Joe O’Dwyer scored two more Killenaule points, the second one from a free awarded when Eoin Fennelly was yellow carded. At this stage things looked bad for Mullinahone with O’Dwyer who was playing very well at centre forward being very mobile. Gary Cronin from a free and from play hit two points to keep Mullinahone in touch.

Scoring dried up for 13/14 minutes until the 26th minute In the interim Jack McCarthy made a fine save, but Mullinahone also shot three wides in a row. Micheál Dunne who tried very hard all day to win possession was rewarded in the 26th minute with the equalising point. Tony Treacy put Mullinahone ahead, but another Joe O’Dwyer free levelled. Half Time, 0-6 each.

With the elements in their favour in the second half it was to be expected that Mullinahone would pull away and a Gary Cronin point from a free when Jimmy Feehan was yellow carded in the second minute seemed to indicate this. However, Mullinahone did not push on and spectators were puzzled when all of their half forward line drifted back to defend in their own half even to the extent of taking frees awarded in that sector. With the breeze behind them the tactics didn’t make sense and Killenaule getting their second wind came back into the game as well as defending well.

They levelled the game with a point after 12 minutes and went ahead two minutes later when Mark Doyle pointed. Two minutes later Rory Loughman pointed to open up a two point lead. Joe Hogan pointed for Mullinahone in 17 minutes but yet another John O’Dwyer point in the 22nd minute opened up the gap again. Cathal Horan pointed in 26 minutes to reduce the lead to a point, but in the last minute a final O’Dwyer free gave Killenaule a deserved victory.

Best for Killenaule was Joe O’Dwyer. He received most assistance from Aidan Leahy, Jimmy Feehan, Daniel Guinan and Mark Doyle. For Mullinahone who had no obvious leader, Luke Mullally, Jamie Gahan and Eoin Fennelly in the later stages and Stephen Quirke, Joe Hogan and Michael Dunne tried hardest.

Killenaule: Stephen Ryan, Conor Maguire, Aidan Leahy, Eoin Butler, Dominic Blake, Jimmy Feehan, Adam O’Connell. Daniel Guinan. Rory Loughman, Mark Doyle, Joe O’Dwyer, Conor Van Dikkensburg, Eoin Doyle, Thomas Heaveney, Robbie Blake.

Mullinahone C.J.K.: Jack McCarthy, George Browning, Richie Walsh, Stephen Quirke, Sean Walzer, Eoin Fennelly, Luke Mullally, Jamie Gahan, Diarmuid O’Halloran, Joe Hogan, Gary Cronin, Cathal Horan, David Walzer. Michael Dunne, Tony Treacy.

Referee: Michael O’Donnell (Clerihan).

All too easy for Moyle Rovers

Moyle Rovers 5-13 Anner Gaels 0-6

Moyle Rovers enjoyed a big win over Anner Gaels (Fethard & St Patricks) in Ned Hall Park. Cathal Hurley opened the scoring for Anner Gaels with a point from a free within the first minute. Rovers wing forward Rian Boland opened their account with a fantastic goal.  Shane Lonergan, Rian Clancy and Liam Boland added three more points. Ciaran O Meara scored Anner Gaels first point from play. Rian Boland replied with his second goal for Rovers who were completely on top at this stage.

Liam Carey and Rian Clancy added further goals with 3 more points from Liam Boland while Anner Gaels’ Cathal Hurley and Mark Mullally score 4 more points. Half time score, Moyle Rovers 4-5 Anner Gaels 0-5.
Despite Anner Gaels best effort the Moyle Rovers defence was very strong in the second half and only Cathal Hurley got through to score a single point in the closing minutes of the half.  Clancy scored another goal, while Liam Boland, Rian Boland, Conor Conneally and Shane Lonergan scored a further eight points.

Moyle Rovers: James Cahill, David Mulcahy, Eoin O’Connor, Michael Delahunty, Luke Boland, Cathal Quigley, Kevin O’Donnell, Craig Condon, Ross Mulcahy, Shane Lonergan, Liam Boland, Rian Boland, Conor Conneally, Liam Carey, Rian Clancy.

Anner Gaels: Mathew Fitzgerald, Kieran O Connell, Ronan Fitzgerald, Eamon Needham, Frankie O Donovan, Brian Delahunty,  Robert Meagher, Cathal Hurley, David Hayes, Mark Mullally, Eoin Fitzgerald, Brian Healy, Ciaran O Meara, Gerard Maher, Mark Slattery
Referee P Ivors (Ballingarry)

South u-21 FC ‘B’

Clerihan/Clonmel Og combo gell

well together

Clerihan/Clonmel Óg 2-10 Cahir 1-5

When Michael Tobin pointed for Cahir after 20 seconds the signs looked ominous for the Clerihan/ Clonmel Óg side and although the score was well taken it was easily achieved. Apart from an unsuccessful 45 it took 7 minutes for the winners to draw level with a Dean Kelleher free. Another 6 minutes passed before the same player pointed from 30 meters from play. Cormac Looby received the ball on the edge of the square and finished to the back of the net to put Cahir 2 points in front 1-1 to 0-2.

Surprisingly that goal inspired the combination side to play their best football of the game and they scored 2-5 to no reply from Cahir in the last ten minutes of the half. Dean Kelleher started it off with two pointed frees in the 20th and 21st minutes. Conor Arrigan added a point in the 22nd before Kelleher scored a fine goal in the 23rd minute after good work by Leo Curtin in midfield. Darragh Kearney was also having a big influence on affairs and he helped to set up points from Kelleher and Eddie Power but the defining moment of the game happening in the 28th minute with a move involving 10 players started by full- back Aaron Arrigan and finished to the net by his brother Conor to leave Clerihan/ Clonmel Óg 2-7 to 1-01 in front at half time.

The second half was a much tamer affair although Cahir scored the first four points of the second half from Michael Tobin (2), Niall McKenna and Dean Lonergan but unfortunately for them it took them 25 minutes to do so and although the winners were not performing as well as they did in the first they did not look to be in any danger and in fact they finished the game with three points, a free from Dean Kelleher and two fine points from play by Stephen Early and Michael Lynch to leave the final score Clerihan/ Clonmel Óg 2-10, Cahir 1-5.

Although they started slowly the Clonmel Óg/ Clerihan combination showed enough composure and had enough match winners to outdo their opponents. In defence Aaron Arrigan was outstanding and was well supported by Mark Duggan. Midfield was well contested with Darragh Kearney particularly influential ably assisted by Leo Curtin. All the forwards contributed to the victory but Dean Kelleher was the jewel in the crown scoring 1-6 and county recognition must be only around the corner for this talented young player. Conor Arrigan and Stephen Early also caught the eye.

Cahir will be naturally disappointed after the bright start that they made but Liam Howard, Michael Tobin, Conor Casey, Niall McKenna, Dean Lonergan and Cormac Looby did not leave the side down.

Clerihan/ Clonmel Óg - Sam Hahessy, Mark Duggan, Aaron Arrigan, Paddy Power, Declan Bennett, Marc Ahearn, Shane Fehilly, Darragh Kearney, Leo Curtin, Eddie Power, Stephen O’ Connell, Stephen Early, Conor Arrigan, Dean Kelleher, Michael Lynch, Shane Murphy, Dan Walsh, Michael O’ Rourke, Jack Kennedy, Kieran English, Adrian Conway.

Cahir - Evan O’ Dwyer, Gavin McCarthy, Oisín Maloney, Eoin Farrell, Liam Howard, Eoin Doheny, Conor Casey, Daniel Maloney, Michael Tobin, Niall McKenna, Dean Lonergan, Michael O’ Connor, Cormac Looby, Ciarán O’ Donnell, Eoin Quinlivan.

Referee- Mr Martin Doyle ( Ardfinnan).

Swans look good in puttinig up huge score

Carrick Swans 7-13

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s 0-5

This was the first match of the year for the South Board and Carrick Swans couldn’t have asked for an easier workout to get their championship campaign started. They arrived in Monroe last Saturday well prepared, well organised and well up for the challenge.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s, on the other hand, turned up understrength, missing players to a college hurling match and injury, unfocused and disjointed. While the combination outfit tried hard and even got off to a bright start, once Swans got into their stride they struggled to match their intensity and teamwork.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s did start well, dominating possession for the first ten minutes, but lack of penetration and poor finishing meant they were only level at one point each by the time Dean Murphy put Swans ahead for the first time with a goal in the tenth minute. It was downhill from there for Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s as Swans choked off their possession with Dale O’Mahony, Dean Murphy and particularly Bill Walsh controlling affairs around the middle, and Evan Hogan and Danny Fitzpatrick leading the line up front. Swans set about building up a commanding lead with two more goals from Fitzpatrick and Hogan along with two points each from Dale O’Mahony, Mikey Loughman and Dean Murphy which left them 3-7 to 0-2 ahead at half time. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s points coming from Robert O’Brien and Dan Morgan.

A Swans goal from Danny Fitzpatrick within a minute of the restart ensured the second half was played out in the same vein as the first. Swans controlled the game, scoring almost at will and pressurising Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s into mistakes and turnovers and restricting them to just three points in the half. Swans had all their substitutions made early in the second half and even that didn’t disrupt their dominance. More goals from Bill Walsh, Bill Barrett and substitute Derek Burrows and points from Dale O’Mahony (2), Bill Walsh, Dean Murphy, Jack Walsh and Gavin O’Halloran left them easy winners on a final score of 7-13 to 0-5. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s points coming from Sean Flynn, Dan O’Riordan and a particularly delightful score from Seamus Burke.

For Carrick Swans this was a first game of the championship but based on this performance it could be a long campaign. Although the opposition were under-strength this was a very impressive display of power, skill and teamwork. Indeed one of the most impressive parts of their performance was their determination to continue playing for each other even though the game was won long before the final whistle. Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s have a job of work to do to pick themselves up for the next round. But at full strength and with a little more cohesion added to the undoubted abilities of Robert O’Brien, Dan Morgan and Sean Flynn, which were on display here, the future in this competition might not be all bleak

Swans: Sean Dowley, Colin Waters, Sean Dunphy, Jamie Torpey, Colin Loughman, Jack Walsh (0-1), Lee Wall, Dean Murphy (1-2), Dale O’Mahony (0-4), Mikey Loughman (0-3), Bill Walsh (1-1), Martin Griffin, Bill Barrett (1-0), Danny Fitzpatrick (2-0), Evan Hogan (1-1). Subs used; Gavin O’Halloran (0-1), Derek Burrows (1-0), Scott Hogan, Dale O’Hanlon, Sean Boland.

Ballylooby/Fr. Sheehy’s: Gary Condon, Thomas Sampsom, Kevin Watson, Kieran King, Rouaire Joyce, Stephen O’Driscoll, Shane O’Brien, Dan Morgan (0-1), Robert O’Brien (0-1), John Ferguson, Sean Flynn (1-0), Eamonn Gleeson, Shane Lowry, Dan O’Riordan (0-1), Seamus Burke (0-1). Sub used Adrian O’Brien.  

Ref: Keith Delahunty Moyle Rovers.