Opening day wins for Eire Og, Galtee Rovers, Arravale Rovers, Golden/Kilfeacle

West u-21 FC ‘B’

West u-21 FC ‘B’

Late points seal victory for Eire Og

Eire Óg 1-9 Rockwell/Rosegreen 1-7

Eire Óg and Rockwell/Rosegreen kicked off the West G.A.A. championships with a first round game in the McGrath Oil under-21 B football championship at New Inn on Saturday night.

In a dramatic end to the game Eire Og scored two points in the final minute to grab victory on a scoreline of 1-9 to 1-7.

It wasn’t the best of evenings for football and the state of preparation of both teams left a lot to be desired but the game was interesting enough and swung in favour of each side in the course of the hour.

Rockwell/Rosegreen had the best of the opening exchanges and appeared to be very much in control but got only one score during the period, a pointed free from T.J. Ryan. Eire Óg then came into the game and scored three unanswered points to lead by 0-3 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter,

Rockwwell/Rosegreen got a great break in the 17th minute when Robert Briody finished off a good attacking movement with a goal to put them in front. During the remainder of the quarter each side added a point to leave the half-time score 1-2 to 0-4 in favour of Rockwell/Rosegreen.

The combination resumed strongly and added three points to Eire Óg’s two during the third quarter to extend their lead to 1-5 to 0-6.

Then in the 17th minute the Rockwell/Rosegreen goalkeeper was penalised for being too near one of his own players for the kickout. From the resulting free Dinny Crosse finished to the net to put Eire Óg in front and Daragh Mooney followed up with a free to give them a two-point lead.

In a great burst of energy Rockwell/Rosegreen got back on level terms with frees from Killian Ryan and T.J. Ryan. With minutes to go a draw seemed the likely result but John Ryan and Seanie Ryan had points for Eire Óg in the final minute for a two-point victory.

Eire Og: Gearóid Lukeman, Mike Fox, Cathal Coughlan, Peter O’Dwyer, David Breen, Eoin Bradshaw, Sean Breen, Daragh Mooney (0-3), Tom Fox (0-1), Thomas Kinane, Donal O’Dwyer (0-1), Michael Bradshaw (0-1), John Ryan (0-1), Seanie Ryan (0-2), Dinny Crosse (1-0). Sub: Josh Quinn for David Breen.

Rockwell/Rosegreen: Brendan Lonergan, Daniel Hayde, Robbie O’Donnell, Jack Moloney, Danny Fanning, J. J. Cooney, John Keating, Killian Ryan (0-1), Aidan Barron, Alex Purcell, Robert Briody (1-0), Eoin Ryan (0-1), T. J.Ryan (0-5), Michael Healy, Mikey Barron. Subs: Mark O’Brien for Alex Purcell, Nicky Ryan for Michael Healy.

Referee: Phil Ryan (Kickhams).

West u-21 FC ‘B’

Goals see Galtees Rovers through against Kickhams

Galtee Rovers 2-5 Kickhams 1-6

Galtee Rovers defeated Kickhams by 2-5 to 1-6 in the McGrath Oil under-21 B football championship at Cashel on Sunday afternoon.

This was a fine game of football and for much of the game it appeared to be going Kickhams way.

Galtee Rovers went 1-1 in front early on, the goal coming from the boot of Sean Daly, but Kickhams pegged them back with an unanswered 1-4 to lead by 3 points at the interval. Davy Butler got the goal.

Kickhams went further ahead on the resumption but Galtee resurrected their act and gradually got on top, scoring 1-4 to win by two points. Kickhams did have a few chances to stop the rot in the final ten minutes but didn’t avail of them.

Galtee Rovers: Philly O’Mahony, Liam Kavanagh, Emmet Ryan, Pat Kavanagh, Peter Carroll, Conor O’Sullivan (0-2), Ian O’Brien, Damian Burke, Kevin Power, Darren McGrath (0-1), Niall Daly (0-1), David Finane (0-1), Eoin White (1-0), Sean Daly (1-0), Mossy Crowe. Subs: Brendan McGrath for Mossy Crowe, Christopher O’Halloran for Kevin Power.

Kickhams: Dean Kelly, Brian Hand, Oisín O’Meara (0-1), Jamie Quinn, Oisín Slattery, Eoin Carew, Stephen Griffey, Johnny Ryan, Cathal Morrissey, Fionn Hogan, Pa Ryan, Paudie Slattery, Gary Healan, Davy Butler (1-3), Brendan Ryan (0-1). Subs: Thomas Hayes for Fionn Hogan, Elliot Thompson (0-1) for Pa Ryan, Conor Butler for Gary Healan.

Referee: Fergal Hickey (Golden-Kilfeacle)

West u-21 FC ‘A’

Arravale Rovers dominate in second half for comfortable victory

Arravale Rovers 1-15 Aherlow/Lattin-Cullen 0-8

Arravale Rovers had no difficulty in defeating Aherlow/Lattin-Cullen in the McGrath Oil under-21 A football championship at Bansha on Sunday afternoon and fully deserved their ten-point victory on a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-8.

The game was even enough in the first half when Aherlow/Lattin-Cullen were favoured by the breeze and kept in touch with Arravale so much so that there was only a point between the sides, 0-6 to 0-5, at half-time.

In the second-half Arravale dominated, attacking with pace and menace and should have put more scores away. They hit five points without reply during the third quarter and substitute, Eoin Lonergan’s goal in the 18th minute really wrapped the game up.

Arravale Rovers: Paul O’Connor, Pearse Richardson, Gary O’Callaghan, Michael Ryan, Tom Byrnes, Paddy Dalton, Shane Leahy, Ciarán Lowry, Emmet Fitzpatrick, Conor Kissane (0-4), James Hogan (0-7), Johnny Lowry (0-1), James Kinane (0-1), Diarmuid O’Donnell, Donagh Leahy (0-2). Sub: Eoin Lonergan (1-0) for Michael Ryan

Aherlow/Lattin-Cullen: Eoin O’Connell, John Valance, John Moloney, James Carroll, Thomas O’Donoghue (0-1), Ed O’Meara, Seanie Cunningham, Mike Hanly, Mark Russell (0-1), Arthur Dunne, Thomas Frewen (0-5), Danny Noonan, Liam Cunningham (0-1), Liam Richardson, Peter Moloney.

Referee: John Ryan Bob (Cashel King Cormacs)

West u-21 FC ‘A’

Golden/Kilfeacle impress in win over Cashel

Golden-Kilfeacle 2-15 Cashel King Cormacs 2-5

Golden Kilfeacle were too good for Cashel King Cormacs in their first round game in the McGrath Oil under-21 A football championship at Golden on Sunday afternoon and well deserved their ten-point victory.

The winners played some very attacking football over the hour backed by a very impressive half back line which started many of their attacks.

Fine points from Sean Hayes, Stephen Ryan and a well taken goal from Liam Nagle had Golden well in command by half time when the score stood 1-9 to 0-3 in their favour.

Although Cashel came back into it with two goals after half time Golden kept the scoreboard ticking over with points from Seanie O’Halloran, Josh Keane and sub Keith Landy.

A goal just before the end from full forward Thomas Byrnes sealed a very impressive win for Golden.

Golden-Kilfeacle: Niall Fogarty, Matthew Ryan, Paddy Ryan, Alan Wade, James Casey. Aiden o Connell, Shane O’Connell. Ger Barlow, Sean Hayes (0-3), Liam Nagle (1-3), Stephen Ryan (0-2), Josh Keane (0-3), Seanie O’Halloran (0-2), Thomas Byrnes (1-0). Ian Collins (0-2). Subs: Keith Landy for Seanie o Halloran, Daniel Currivan for Ian Collins, Dale Collins for Matthew Ryan. Brian Hosford for Alan Wade, Pakie O’Connell for Liam Nagle

Cashel King Cormacs: Gearoid Slattery, Niall Anglim, Paddy Morrissey, Cathal Minogue, Simon Delaney (1-0), Jonathan Grogan, James Cummins, Dylan Fitzelle (0-1), Andrew Wallace (0-2), Eoghan Ryan (1-0), Seamus Reade (0-1), Robert Anglim (0-1), Adrian O’Dwyer, Brian Quinlan, Michael McDermott. Subs: Aaron May for Adrian O’Dwyer, Michael K O’Dwyer for Cathal Minogue, Thomas Grogan for Brian Quinlan.

Referee: David Grogan (Aherlow)