Kickhams impress to retain senior status

County SHC Relegation

County SHC Relegation

Kickhams 0-14 Aherlow 0-6

Kickhams survived this all West relegation battle in Sean Treacy Park, Tipperary last Sunday evening. The form book pointed to this victory as when both sides met in Golden last June in a West SHC playoff game, Kickhams won with an eight point margin and the repeated the feat on Sunday in a game that never rose above the mediocre. Aherlow will now play Upperchurch Drombane to decide which team will be relegated to Intermediate status for 2013.

Nigel Hayes was a Kickhams absentee. Aherlow lined out without Gordon Peters, Cathal Dillon, Thomas Fahy, Seamus Grogan while Sean Dillon was injured and Barry Grogan was stateside.

Kickhams had wind advantage in the first half and clearly were on top. However after seventeen minutes, they led 0-4 to 0-1. Three of their points came from frees, Paudie Slattery slotting over one and Johnny Ryan with two. Patrick O’Brien scored one from play. Aherlow’s only reply was a Cathal O’Shea free after ten minutes, their inside forward line showing a distinct lack of experience.

Kickhams then struck a purple patch and lofted over five points in the final eight minutes of the hallf. Cathal O’Shea again replied for Aherlow. These Kickhams scores came from Patrick O’Brien, David Butler, Paul Breen, Johnny Ryan and Paul O’Dwyer. Kickhams could not translate their overall superiority onto the scoreboard and were were guilty of wayward shooting from play and placed balls. They could afford the luxury of twelve wides in the first half.

Credit too must go to the resolute Aherlow defence. Ed O’Meara, Mark O’Shea and Mark Hanley and Brian Moroney for their efforts to contain the lively Kickhams attack where Davy Butler, Paul Breen, Patrick O’Brien and Paudie Slattery caught the eye. Kickhams led at ther break 0-9 to 0-2.

Aherlow started well in ther second half and Liam Richardson pointed from the throw in. Paddy Hennessy added a further two points. So three minutes into thr half, Aherlow trailed 0-9 to 0-5. However this was aabout as good as it was going to get for Aherlow. They managed only another poiint in the second half, this was a fine solo effort from the ouitstanding Thomas Hanley. Paudie Slattery had the first flag of the half after forty minutes. Kickhams then were held scoreless until the final ten minutes where they finished the stronger. During this period Paudie Slattery pointed two frees, Corner back Cathal Morrissey pointed after a foray upfield while Alan Horgan added two sweet scores. The introduction of Alan Horgan helped upfront, the move of Eoin Carew to full back and Johnny Ryan to the defence was also significant for the Kickhams in the second half. Kickhams ran out deserving winners, and Aiden Heney, Michael Shanahan, Damien McGrath and Brian Horgan also did well. Aherlow also had good performances frrom Sean Mullins, Cathal O’Shea, Paddy Hennessy and Danny Noonan.

Kickhams: Paddy Ryan(Capt.); Cathal Morrissey(0-1), Aiden Heney, Michael Shanahabn; Paul Breen (0-1), Eoin Carew, Brian Horgan; Derek Breen, Paul O’Dwyer(0-1); Patrick O’Brien(0-2), Darrragh Browne, Johnny Ryan(0-2f); Davy Butler(0-1), Damien McGrath, Paudie Slattery(0-3f). Subs: Alan Horgan(0-2) for Darragh Browne, Shane Morrissey for Paul O’Dwyer.

Aherlow: Steve Chapman; Ed O’Meara, Mark O’Shea, Mark Hanley; Bernard O’Brien, Brian Moroney(Capt), Laurence Coskeran; Cathal O’Shea (0-2)(0-1f), Sean Mullins; Thomas Hanley(0-1).Paddy Hennessy(0-2), John Moloney; Seanie Peters, Danny Noonan, Liam Richardson(0-1). Subs: Josh O’Brien for Seanie Peters, Peter Moloney for Cathal O’Shea.