Cashel and Kickhams draw and meet again this Wednesday night

West IFC Final

West IFC Final

Cashel King Cormacs 1-7

Kickhams 1-7

Cashel King Cormacs and Kickhams will have to play again to decide on the destiny of the Rea Clarke Hennessy intermediate football championship. At New Inn on Sunday evening they played a draw, 1-7 each, in an exicting and entertaining final.

David Butler opened the proceedings in the third minute with a point for Kickhams from a free. Phillip Taylor replied for Cashel five minutes later. Richard Horgan responded for Kickhams two minutes later and Taylor had a second point soon after to leave the sides level after eleven minutes.

Kickhams had the better of the exchanges during the next fifteen minutes and had two points from Richard Horgan and Aidan Butler to take a two-point lead.

Cashel came good in the last five minutes of the half. Firstly Eddie Walsh had a point in the 27th minute and then William Fitzell had a great goal two minutes later after receiving a pass from Walsh. It was some consolation for Cashel after missing a number of goal opportunities earlier in the game.

Paul Breen finished the scoring with a point for Kickhams just before the half-time whistle to leave Cashel with a slender lead on a scoreline of 1-3 to 0-5.

The game remained close during the third quarter at the end of which Cashel were clinging to a two- point lead following points from Ross Doyle, Simon Delaney and Dylan Fitzell. Kickhams had two points from David Butler to leave the score at this stage 1-6 to 0-7.

During the final quarter each side was guilty of some terrible whoppers of miskicks and wides. Probably Kickhams were the more guilty having seven wides to Cashel’s two during the period.

However, they did get a goal in the 27th minute to gain the lead at a vital time. Alan Horgan finished off a great running movement for the goal and was so delighted that he burst into dance after it!

Cashel made an all-out effort to get the equaliser and it was Robbie Anglim, who had replaced Philip Taylor during the half, who scored the relieving point in the 29th minute. Soon after the referee blew the final whistle with both sides having scored 1-7.

Cashel may consider themselves lucky to get the draw. Whereas they missed a number of goal opportunities in the first half. Kickhams had a slight edge on the proceedings during the second-half and got the goal at a vital stage. Also Shane Morrissey had a glorious chance just before the final whistle for the winning point but fluffed the opportunity to Cashel’s great relief.

Kickhams got good displays from Damien McGrath, Derek Breen, Patrick O’Brien, Paul O’Dwyer and David Butler, while Cashel were best served by Gearóid Slattery, Paddy Morrissey, T. J. Connolly, Michael Coleman and Eddie Walsh.

Cashel King Cormacs: Gearóid Slattery, Paddy Morrisssey, David Delahunty, Tony Hewitt, Simon Delaney (0-1), Jonathan Grogan, Lee Burke, T. J. Connolly, Dylan Fitzell (0-1), Ross Doyle (capt),(0-1), Adrian Cummins, Michael Coleman, Eddie Walsh (0-1), William Fitzell (1-0), Philip Taylor (0-2). Sub: Robert Anglim (0-1) for Philip Taylor.

Kickhams: Michael Heelan, Daniel Carbery. John Slattery, Rory Heffernan, Damien McGrath, Derek Breen (capt.), Michael Shanahan, Paul Breen (0-1), Patrick O’Brien, Niall O’Brien, Aidan Butler (0-1), Paul O’Dwyer, Alan Horgan (1-0), Richard Horgan (0-2), David Butler (0-3). Subs: Shane Morrissey for Aidan Butler, Brian Horgan for Rory Heffernan, Dean Thompson for Richard Horgan, Cathal Morrissey for John Slattery.

Referee: David Grogan (Aherlow)

P.S. The replay is scheduled for New Inn this Wednesday evening at 7.30 pm with extra time in the event of a draw