King Cormacs face West Intermediate Final replay

West U16 Hurling

West U16 Hurling

“A” Final

Cashel KC 3-5

Clonoulty 1-20

A valiant Cashel performance was not enough to oust Clonoulty in the West U16 A final on Monday last, at rain soaked Dundrum. Cashel were always chasing this game and trailed by five points with fifteen minutes gone. But to be fair the lads attitude was first class and they never gave up. A fine point from distance from the impressive Aaron McCormack was quickly added to by a Conor Devitt point as Cashel tried to make inroads. But every time Cashel got within distance, Clonoulty found another gear as they rattled over five points to lead at the interval 0-5 to 0-10.

The start to the second half was disastrous with a goal and point within the opening minute, the worst possible start we could have hoped for. But again Cashel responded. Padraig O’Donoghue now operating at centre forward netting the first of his three-second half goal to breath new life into Cashel fight. When O’Donoghue added his second the difference was down to four and Cashel were hurling well. But again Clonoulty upped the gears and a flurry of points saw them pull clear again. Cashel’s third goal in the closing stages was consolation for a tremendous effort but Clonoulty when it mattered had that little bit extra. Nevertheless the team can hold their heads high as they gave it a determined go but it wasn’t to be.

In a year that saw us make three finals in U12, winning two, losing the U14 final after a replay and losing the U16 final, the signs are certainly encouraging going forward, our day will soon come, that you can bet on. Well done to the lads and keep those chins up.

Team: Danny Wade, Brian Fitzpatrick, Cormac Ryan, Jack Browne, Adam Kennedy, Padraig O’Donoghue (3-0), Pat Muldoon, Conor Devitt (0-1), James Cummins, Aaron McCormack (0-1), Thomas Caulfield (0-1), Colin Brosnan, Colin Ryan, Jonathan Walsh (0-2), Patrick Fahy.

West Intermediate

Semi Final Football

Cashel KC 1-12

Rockwell Rovers 2-7

It has been a busy week for our footballers. On Wednesday evening last we faced hot favourites Rockwell Rovers for a place in the West final. Cashel always known for its ability with the big ball certainly opened their opponent’s eyes as they led from flag fall and were never headed in a display of guts, skill and sheer determination. The foundation for victory was laid in the opening half with the movement of Cashels forwards causing all sorts of problems for the Rockwell defence. William Fitzell, Eddie Walsh and Michael Coleman combined to put Philly Taylor through for two points while Coleman neatly dispatched the football to the neat after the Rockwell Defence was again sliced wide open. Leading 1-9 to 1-3 at half time the team had put itself in a very strong position. But Rockwell were never going to lie down and back they. Gearoid Slattery had to be at his best on two occasions saving point blank efforts, while Paddy Morrissey cleared another off the line. Three second points, one fine solo effort from Simon Delaney, a Ross Doyle free and an excellent score from the experienced TJ Connolly was enough to keep Cashel’s noses in front and claim a totally deserved victory. On the night this was always going to be Cashel night with a superb team effort in which Paddy Morrissey was outstanding. And so it was onto New Inn on Sunday evening for the final and a pairing with rivals Kickams.

Team: Gearoid Slattery, Paddy Morrissey, David Delahunty, Tony Hewitt, Simon Delaney (0-1), Jonathan Grogan, Le Burke, TJ Connolly (0-1), Dylan Fitzell, Michael Coleman (1-1), Adrian Cummins, Ross Doyle (0-5), Eddie Walsh (0-1), William Fitzell (0-1), Philip Taylor (0-2). Subs: Michael McDermott for Philip Taylor.

West Intermediate Final

Cashel KC 1-7

Kickams 1-7

Both sides must do it all again as Kickams fought back late in the game to deny Cashel victory in this evenly contested championship final. Under the New Inn floodlights it was an entertaining contest with an exciting finale. The opening minute saw Cashel almost snatch the perfect start with a goal chance wasted. The game was a nervy affair with both teams wasteful in front of goal. Cashel did hold the upper hand however With Philip Taylor again showing his eye for scores knocking over two in quick succession. Kickams replied with two scores of their own before Eddie Walsh coolly slotted between the posts. Kickams then became more of the threat and rattled off three unanswered points to lead 0-5 to 0-3 with the break closing in. bit Cashel finished the half strong, William Fitzell taking a clever pass from Walsh and placing the ball under the keeper with the left peg to give Cashel the half time lead 1-3 to 0-5. The second half was always close and Gearoid Slattery was kept on his toes early making a point blank save. Ross Doyle converted a free, 1-4 to 0-5 but back came Kickams with a point. Eddie Walsh and Simon Delaney then combined for the point of the game Delaney finishing a move that involved several Cashel players, 1-5 to 0-6. The game was real end-to-end stuff with both sides energy levels tested to the max. Another Kickams point in the 20th minute again made it one point game. Dylan Fitzell showed excellent awareness intercepting a Kickams counter attack, soloing the ball towards the Kickams goal and cool as you like kicking a superb point. With four minutes to play Cashel were up two points, when Kickams pounced for a game-changing goal. Cashel now were chasing the game trying to salvage something. In a frantic finish Robert Anglim under pressure kicked the important point to level the game and force a replay. This was a game that Cashel looked like winning for the most part, but will be relieved to have scraped a draw so late in the day. It will take another massive effort from the lads on Wednesday night to overcome Kickams.

At the time writing the replay is fixed for New Inn on Wednesday, September 19, at 7.30pm.

Team: Gearoid Slattery, Paddy Morrissey, David Delahunty, Tony Hewitt, Simon Delaney, Jonathan Grogan, Lee Burke, TJ Connolly, Dylan Fitzell (0-1), Michael Coleman, Adrian Cummins, Ross Doyle (0-3), Eddie Walsh, William Fitzell (1-0), Philip Taylor (0-2). Subs: Robert Anglim (0-1) for Philip Taylor.