County Tipperary Senior Hurling Cups Round Up

There were 12 games played in Senior Hurling Challenge Cup last weekend including the 4 quarter finals for the Sweeper Ryan Cup among the 8 teams which had been unbeaten so far. These games resulted in Portroe, Upperchurch-Drombane, Kildangan and Moycarkey-Borris qualifying for the semi-finals.

There were 12 games played in Senior Hurling Challenge Cup last weekend including the 4 quarter finals for the Sweeper Ryan Cup among the 8 teams which had been unbeaten so far. These games resulted in Portroe, Upperchurch-Drombane, Kildangan and Moycarkey-Borris qualifying for the semi-finals.

Sweeper Ryan Cup Quarter-Finals

Portroe 2-14 Eire Og Annacarty Donohill 0-17

Portroe and Eire Og/Annacarty served up an entertaining and hard fought encounter in the quarter final of The Sweeper Ryan Cup in very cold conditions in Portroe on Saturday evening last. Great credit is due to both teams for the sporting manner in which the game was played and after a close first half the home side went in at half time two points ahead on a scoreline of 0-10 to 0-08. The old maxim of goals win matches was proven true again on this occassion as two second half goals the first a Jack Keating effort and the second an opportunist goal rattled the back of the net by David Gleeson kept Portroe in front. The visitors tried hard to get back into the game which made for an exciting finish. The West side needed a goal to stay in contention, but the nearest they came was when goalie Darragh Mooney blazed an injury-time penalty over the bar to leave a goal between the sides at Johnny McDonnell’s full-time whistle.

Portroe: Darren Gleeson (0-2f), Christopher Riordan, Noel O’Halloran, Dermot O’Halloran, Michael Creamer, Colm Gleeson, Conor Leo, Justin Conroy, Jimmy Creamer, John Sheedy (0-1 f), Michael Sheedy (0-3), Kevin O’Halloran (0-4), James Ryan (0-2), David Gleeson (1-1) and Mark Gennery(0-1). Subs used: Jack Keating (1-0)for Justin Conroy, Dinny Hogan for Mark Gennery, Niall Gleeson for Jimmy Creamer, Paudie Malone for James Ryan.

Eire Og: Darragh Mooney (0-1, penalty); Michael O’Dwyer, Richard Ryan, Richard O’Doherty; Eoin Bradshaw, Eoin Kennedy, Jeremy Furlong; Kev Fox, Dan Hogan (0-1); Pat Aherne (0-3), Ronan O’Brien (0-10, 8 frees & 1 65), Donal O’Dwyer (0-2); Paul Downey, John Quinn, Damien O’Brien. Sub: Michael McGrath for Paul Downey

Upperchurch-Drombane 4-16 Loughmore Castleiney 1-13

Upperchurch Drombane had a comprehensive 12 point victory over Loughmore Castleiney at Drombane on Sunday. Playing with wind advantage in the first half, the home side established early supremacy with industrious midfielder Andy Kinane scoring points from play in the 4th, 20th and 30th minute. Pacey corner forward Colm Stapleton scored points from play in the 6th and 16th minute while Matthew Greene held the ball up well at full forward resulting in scores and frees coming off him. James Barry was impressive in the half back line. John McGrath kept Loughmore in contention with an 18th minute goal but 2 Upperchurch goals before half-time were critical to their eventual success. Colm Ryan scored the first in the 25th minute after getting on the end of a Colm Stapleton pass while a speculative shot from midfield by LJ Ryan just on half time spilled by the Loughmore keeper into the net. This gave the home side a decisive 2-12 to 1-5 lead at the interval. In typical fashion Loughmore fought back in the second half, with some long range frees from Aidan McGrath a notable feature, but left themselves too much to do and had the margin down to 5 points before goals in the last 5 minutes from Seamus Armstrong and Paul Ryan left no doubt about the final result.

Upperchurch Drombane: Ciaran Shortt; Seán Harty, Jack Ryan, Matt Ryan; James Greene, James Barry (0-1), John Ryan (Jerry); Andy Kinane (0-3), LJ Ryan (1-0); Paul Ryan(Jack) (1-1), Colm Ryan (1-1), Paudie Greene (0-6), Colm Stapleton (0-2), Matthew Greene, Owen Shortt (0-1). Subs: Seamus Armstrong (1-1) for Owen Shortt (50), Joe Maguire for LJ Ryan (50), Michael Ryan (Dick) for Paul Ryan (58).

Kildangan 2-14 Killenaule 1-8

Kildangan enjoyed a comfortable 9 point victory over Killenaule last Sunday afternoon in Killenaule. Paul Flynn produced the first goal of the day on the 10th minutes after he ran through on goal from the side of the field and finished with an excellent lob over the Killenaule goalie. Kildangan dominated the half from there with Flynn grabbing his second goal 5 minutes before half time after excellent build up play from Tadhg Gallagher. The half time score was 2-9 to 0-3 in favour of the visitors. The second half was a more even affair even though the pace of the game was rather pedestrian. Points were traded evenly between both sides throughout the with Pat Kerwick putting a gloss on the scoreline after he doubled on a long ball which resulted in a goal for the home side.

Kildangan: Darragh Egan; Fergal Hayes, Hughie Flannery, Eanna Gleeson; Gary Byrne, Dan Hackett, Gerry Slattery; Jack Loughnane (0-2), Martin Minehan (0-1); Eoin Kelly (0-1), Tommy Connors (0-3), Joe Gallagher (0-1); Eoin Gleeson, Paul Flynn (2-2, 0-1f), Tadhg Gallagher (0-4f). Subs introduced: Tom McLoughlin, Paddy Gallagher

Killenaule: Gerry Kennedy; Michael Fitzgerald, Patrick O’Connor, Niall Bergin; Joe O’Dwyer (0-1 f), Declan Fanning, Kieran Bergin; Niall O’Dwyer (0-1), Jonathan Gleeson (0-1); Kevin Prendergast, Michael Doyle, Daniel Guinan (0-2); Damien McCormack, Tony Doyle (0-3, 2f) , Pat Kerwick (1-0).

Moycarkey-Borris 1-22 Borris-Ileigh 0-16 (aet)

Borris-Ileigh travelled to Littleton to take on Moycarkey-Borris in the quarter final of the Sweeper Ryan Challenge Cup on Sunday. Played in Baltic conditions it was always going to be hard to have a classic on display. The first 30 minutes saw very little between the two sides with points being traded evenly throughout and the half closing with 8 points a piece. What was standard for the first half was likewise for the second with neither team stretching the lead to a comfortable position. Moycarkey did manage to pull 2 points clear only to be pegged back by a Benny Harkin point and a David O Connor free. The referees whistle brought to a close normal time with the sides tied on 0-14 each. Extra time beckoned for both sides (Borris-Ileigh also had to go to extra time to overcome Moneygall Wednesday night) and another 20 minutes of hurling was played out before the freezing fans in the stand. It would take until the second period until one side would turn the screw and it was Moycarkey who did so in convincing fashion. Having lead by 2 points after the first period they hit Borris-Ileigh for 1-5 to 0-1 in the second period. The game finished on a score of Moycarkey 1-22 Borris-Ileigh 0-16. A deserved win for Moycarkey who finished very strongly.

Borris-Ileigh: Kieran Maher; Martin Treacy, Philip Maher, Thomas Fahy; Martin Maher, Dan McCormack, Seamus Bourke; Jody Harkin, Sean McCormack; William Donnelly, Conor Kenny, Benny Harkin; Tommy Kavanagh, Aidan Cowan, Cathal Bourke. Subs: David O Connor, Vincent Stapleton, Sean Maher, Rory Kinane.

Jim Devitt Cup Quarter Finals

JK Brackens 0-18 Toomevara 0-9

JK Brackens made a successful trip to St. Michael’s Park in Toomevara and secured a double scores victory over the local side to secure a place in the semi-finals of the Jim Devitt Cup.

Silvermines 1-14 Boherlahan Dualla 1-12 aet

On Sunday last the Silvermines hosted Boherlahan Dualla at Dolla in bitterly cold conditions but both teams put in a huge effort. Silvermines played with a very strong wind in the first half and got off to a great start with Ryan Touhy scoring a fine goal after some good build up play. The ‘Mines continued to push hard to take advantage of the elements and went in at half time 1-6 to 0-2 up. In the second half Boherlahan upped the intensity and began to eat into the Silvermines lead. Boherlahan took some great scores from out the field and made good use of the wind. Heading into injury time, the ‘Mines were still a goal up but Boherlahan showed some great determination to level the game with a goal to take the game into extra time. The full time score was 1-10 apiece.

Extra time was a close affair with Boherlahan playing with the wind in the first half. The home side fought hard against the prevailing conditions and both sides scored a point each to remain level on 1-11 each at the interval. The Mines pushed on in the second half of extra time and eventually won on a score line of 1-14 to 1-12. Both teams should be given credit for serving up such a good game, with some fine scores being taken by both sides.

Silvermines: C. Sherlock; M. Leamy, B. Timmons (0-1), D. Boland; D. Keogh, R. Sherlock, N. Quirke; O. Quirke (0-3), K Cunneen; S. Quirke, C. Gleeson (0-2), J. Corcoran; D. Keogh(0-5); Daniel Keogh (0-2), R. Touhy (1-1). Subs: A. Hayden for J. Corcoran. K. Kennedy for R. Touhy. W. Keogh for A. Hayden, G. Steed for Daniel Keogh.

Drom and Inch 1-17 Moneygall 2-7

Drom-Inch came out on top against Moneygall in the Jim Devitt Cup quarter final in St. Flannan’s Park, Moneygall on Sunday afternoon. Moneygall played with a strong wind in the first half and got off to the best possible start playing with the aid of a strong breeze when Willie Greene caught the Drom-Inch backs napping and ran onto a long ball and rifled to the net. Drom Inch replied through points from Hassett and Seamus Butler but at times their defensive unit looked uneasy and unorganised as Moneygall threatened time and time again but on several occasions were not able to put scores on the board. Ger Kirwan was looking dangerous as he scored two of his 3 points in the first half and was causing problems for the Mid men. Ex county man Paddy Fanning tagged on another brace before the half time whistle to leave them 4 points ahead at the interval on a scoreline of 1-6 to 0-5. Drom-Inch got off to a great start in the second half when wing back James Ryan cleared the ball forward and it was taken down by David Butler who finished to the net to reduce the deficit to a point. This was only to last two minutes as Moneygall opened up the Drom-Inch defence once more when Eamon McCormack ran onto a long clearance and crashed to the net to restore the four point lead. This goal seemed to awake the visitors from their slumber and they outscored the hosts by twelve points to one in the final twenty minutes of the game. Michael Everard was near perfect from placed balls scoring 4 in the second half. Points from Seamus and David Butler and another from sub Pat Lupton left the game over as a contest. Best for Drom-Inch on the day were Seamus Butler, Liam Ryan, Kevin Butler and Michael Everard while the hosts were best served by Ger Kirwan, Paddy Fanning and Pajo Troy.

Drom-Inch: Damien Young; Kevin Butler, Micheal Butler, Mike Costello; Liam Ryan (0-2, 1f), Eamonn Buckley, James Ryan; Paul Collins, Jamie Maloney; Paddy Kennedy, David Collins (0-2, 1f), Michael Everard (0-4, 4f); David Butler (1-2), Seamus Butler (0-5, 2f), Shane Hassett (0-1). Subs: Pat Lupton (0-1) for Paddy Kennedy, Matthew Ryan for Paul Collins, Oisin Jordan for Shane Hassett, Eric Woodlock for Michael Everard, Matthew Buckley for Michael Costello

Moneygall: Ciaran Quinlan; Brendan Toohey, Sean Kennedy, Eoin Greene; Jody Troy, Phil Fanning, Pajo Troy; Michael Bergin, Paddy Fanning (0-4); Willie Greene (1-0), Mike Ryan, Conor Ryan; Ger Kirwan (0-2), Eamonn McCormack (1-1), Padhraic Greene. Subs: Liam Carroll for Jody Troy, Eoghan Ryan for Sean Kennedy, Sean Fogarty for Eoin Greene, Padhraic Greene for Conor Ryan, Anthony Devereux for Padhraic Greene,

Dr. Fogarty Cup Quarter Finals

Clonoulty Rossmore 0-19 Templederry Kenyons 1-15

Clonoulty Rossmore qualified for the semi-final of the Dr. Fogarty Cup by virtue of a 1 point win over Templederry Kenyons at Kenyon Park, Templederry. This game was played in artic conditions with a strong breeze blowing into the village end and it needed an injury time point from a Paudie White free to decide this game. The pitch held up well despite the previous 24 hours rain but was not conducive to attractive hurling.

Clonoulty played with the aid of a strong breeze in the first half and Conor Hammersley opened the scoring after 1 minute. This was cancelled out by a free from the middle of the park by John Kennedy. Tom Butler put Clonoulty ahead only to have it cancelled out by a Paul Murray point for Templederry. Further points from Eanna Murray and Tom Ryan stretched their lead to 2 points after 13 minutes. Timmy Hammersley replied with a point for the West men to cut the lead to the minimum. Templederry capitalised on a goalkeeping mistake, by the otherwise dependable Declan O’Dwyer, and full forward Padraig O’Leary finished to the net after a goalmouth scramble for what turned out to be the games only goal. This put Templederry 4 points up after 17 minutes. Timmy Hammersley came more into the game and scored 5 points which included three frees and a 65 before the break. Paudie White and Conor Hammersley added 2 more for Clonoulty. Templederry had points from Tom Ryan and Paul Murray and a free from John Kennedy to leave the half time score. Clonoulty Rossmore 0-10 Templ;ederry Kenyons 1-7.

Templederry opened the second half account with 2 points from Brian Stapleton and Padraig O’Leary. Clonoulty replied with points from Jason Forrestal and a Timmy Hammersley free. Brian Stapleton, who would finish the half with 4 points from play, began to dominate around the middle of the park. John Kennedy also scored 3 points for the North men which included 2 from frees. Timmy Hammersley scored a point for Clonoulty before retiring with an ankle injury with 15 minutes remaining. Further points from Jason Forrestal, Jimmy Maher, Aidan White, Paudie White and a great effort from Padraig Heffernan from out on the left wing had the game tied and heading for extra time before Paddies White’s injury time point from a free from under the stand sealed the game for the West champions who now head into the semi-final.

Clonoulty Rossmore: D. O’Dwyer; Joey O’Keeffe, N. Shanahan, K.Horan; C. Quirke, John O’Keeffe, P. Heffernan (0-1); J. Heffernan, P.White (0-3); J.Maher (0-1), T. Hammersley (0-8, 4f, 65 ), J. Forrestal (0-2); C. Hammersley (0-2), T.Butler (0-1) J. Molony. Subs used A. White (0-1), L. Devane, S. O’Connor, P. Ryan.

Templederry Kenyons: M. Ryan; P. Ryan (O), T. McLoughlin, E. Hynes; C. Coughlan, T. Minogue, D. Shanahan; J. Kennedy (0-5 4f), T. Ryan (0-2); P. Murray (0-2), B. Stapleton (0-4), E. Murray (0-1); P. Ryan (C), P. O’Leary (1-1), M. Hogan. Subs used: D. McGrath, J Hogan, P. Kennedy.

Nenagh Eire Og 0-20 Ballingarry 2-10

Nenagh Eire Og qualified for the semi-finals with a 4 point victory over Ballingarry at a freezing cold MacDonagh Park, Nenagh on Sunday.

Kilruane MacDonaghs 0-18 Carrick Swans 1-14

This game was played in bitterly cold conditions in Davin Park on Sunday morning. The field was in top shape considering the rain that fell recently and both teams provided a highly entertaining game. Kilruane goalkeeper, Ger Corcoran, made three or four top class saves to deny Swan goals in both halves. Kilruane held a one point half time lead on a scoreline of 0-10 to 0-9 with 4 of Swans 9 points coming from 65s. Poor shooting may have cost Swan this game. Swan only scored 1 free in second half while missing 5 compared to MacDonaghs on the other hand converting 5 frees in the second half and only having 4 wides in the whole game. After Swan scored their goal midway through the second half, Kilruane brought full forward, Ray McLoughney, out the field which seemed to give them the edge and they finished stronger. Extra time seemed on the cards but a late Willie Cleary point gave Kilruane a 1 point win.

Kilruane MacDonaghs: Ger Corcoran; Paudie Kelly, Diarmuid Cahill, Pat Williams; Jack Peters, Willie Cleary (0-1), Eanna Hogan; Alan Darcy, Jonathan Cahill; Kieran Cahill (0-9 7f), Mark O’Leary (0-1), Thomas Cleary (0-2); Conor Cleary, Ray McLoughney (0-3) and Eoin Williams (0-2). Subs: James Williams and Tomás Hogan.

Carrick Swan: Tom Kennedy; Darren Murphy, Alan O’Sullivan, Darren Fahy; Jack Walsh, Martin Russell, Johnny Grace; Gerry Walsh (0-1), Colin Loughman; Bill Walsh (0-1), Kevin Lanigan, Danny O’Hanlon (0-9, 5f); Dwaine Fogarty (1-2, 1f), James Waters, Alan ‘P’ Ryan (0-1). Subs: Jamie Sweetman, Darren Waters.

Burgess 2-18 Golden Kilfeacle 2-13

Burgess got the better of Golden Kilfeacle in this highly entertaining league match played in Golden last Sunday afternoon. Burgess were the better team throughout but Golden gained a lot of credit for pushing them all the way to the final whistle. Burgess raced out of the blocks with some fine points and a cracking goal after five minutes by Kevin Nealon. Christopher Ryan from frees and Sean Hayes kept Golden in touch. Golden stayed in touch until the keeper picked the ball off the ground which resulted in a Burgess twenty one yard free which resulted in a goal from a blistering Stephen Murray shot. Again Golden replied with some fine frees from Christopher Ryan to leave the score at half time Burgess 2-6 Golden 0-7. With the wind behind them in the second half Burgess began to show some lovely touches and began to pull away. However Golden still put some fine scores on the board with points from John Colohan and Kevin Moloney. As the game entered its final 5 minutes Burgess were well in control but Golden never gave up. Josh Keane came on for Golden and his long ball into the square resulted in James Casey getting a flick to the net. Again both sides exchanged points but when Shane Stapleton was fouled in front of the goal Josh Keane buried the resulting free. Burgess added a final point to take a deserved win but Golden will be pleased with their spirited performance

Burgess: Niall McGrath; John Hogan, Damien O’Brien, Jack Flaherty; Willie Ryan, Johnny Mullqueen, Paddy Ryan; Noel Gleeson, John O’Dwyer; Eoin (Tossy) Hogan (0-1), Shane Maher (0-2), Eoin (Leahy) Hogan; Kevin Nealon (1-1), Brian Hogan, Stephen Murray (1-12, 1-7f). Subs used: Garrett Howard, Johnny Ryan, Cian McDonnell (0-2) and Robbie Cremin.

Golden Kilfeacle: Declan Donnelly; Gerald Fogarty, Aiden O Connell, Ronan Hayes; Shane O’Connell, Brendan Moloney, Cathal Hayes; Daithi Bargary, James O’Connell; John Colohan (0-2), Shane Stapleton, Christopher Ryan (0-8); Seanie O’Halloran, James Casey (1-0), Sean Hayes (0-1). Subs used – Kevin Moloney (0-1), Matthew Ryan, Alan Wade and Josh Keane (1-1).

Plaque / Shield Quarter-Finals

Roscrea 3-19 Borrisokane 3-6

Roscrea had a comfortable 13 point victory over Borrisokane in Roscrea on Sunday last following a dominant second half performance. Roscrea lead by just 1 point at half time 1-8 to 2-4 following 2 first half goals from the visitors both courtesy of Andrew Austin. Wind assisted in the second half Roscrea scored 2-11 to Borrisokane’s 1-2 to secure advancement to the semi-final

Borrisokane: WIllie Brooks; Seamus Moriarty, Kevin Gleeson, Shane Nevin; David Kennedy, Enda Forde, Brian Davis; Paddy Gavin, Seosamh Cleary (0-3, 2f); Graham McMahon (0-2), Colm Larkin (0-1), Rob Davis; Andrew Austin (2-0), Cathal Dooley, Shane Stapleton. Subs: Brian Dooley (1-0) for Shane Stapleton, CJ Gavin for David Kennedy, Ger Reddan for Colm Larkin.

Draw for Semi-finals

The draws for semi-finals for the county senior hurling challenge cups were made on Monday night and are as follows:

Sweeper Ryan Cup

Portroe v Moycarkey Borris

Kildangan v Upperchurch Drombane

Jim Devitt Cup

Thurles Sarsfields or Holycross Ballycahill v Drom and Inch

J K Brackens v Silvermines

Dr Fogarty Cup

Kilruane MacDonaghs v Nenagh Éire Óg

Burgess v Clonoulty Rossmore


Carrick Davins v Roscrea

Cashel King Cormacs or Cappawhite v Lorrha Dorrha or Mullinahone

First team out has home venue. Dates for games will be advised later.