County Senior Hurling League Round-up

County PRO, Ger Ryan

County PRO, Ger Ryan

Premier Division

Drom and Inch 2-11 Holycross Ballycahill 0-12

Drom and Inch recorded their second successive victory in the county league campaign in the Ragg on Sunday morning last in spring-like conditions. Both sides will be feel the need to improve their accuracy with a wide count of 13 to 11 in favour of the visitors. Drom-Inch had good performances from David Butler (who finished the game with 1-4), Paul Stapleton and David Collins. Best for Holycross Ballycahill were Cathal Carroll, Brian Barrett and Aidan Stakelum.

Clonoulty Rossmore 1-11 Kildangan 3-13

In a tight first half, both teams were evenly matched with both guilty of missing several scoreable chances. The half time score was Clonoulty Rossmore 1-6 Kildangan 1-6, with the goals coming in the 10th minute for Kildangan from the impressive Tadgh Gallagher and in the 14th minute for Clonoulty from a 21m free courtesy of Timmy Hammersley. Clonoulty began the second half strongly and after 6mins lead 1-8 to 1-6. However from this point onwards Kildangan took control all over the field and were dominant in most sectors. They ran out 3-13 to 1-11 winners with the goals coming in the 53rd minute from Tommy Connors and in the 60th minute from Joe Gallagher.

Loughmore Castleiney 3-16 Thurles Sarsfields 0-24

Loughmore Castleiney won this entertaining encounter at Castleiney against local rivals Thurles Sarsfields by a single point after trailing by 7 at half-time. Sarsfields were on top early on and looked to be comfortably in charge as they built up that first half lead. Going in at the break 0-14 to 0-7 up, few would have expected them to lose. However, no Loughmore team has ever been short of determination and they responded gallantly to the challenge. A goal from James Connolly brought them well back into contention and then the turning point came when Evan Sweeney, operating from centre forward at this stage, broke through to set David Kennedy up for Loughmore’s second goal. Sweeney scored the third goal himself and Loughmore edged ahead for a one point victory.

Burgess 3-14 Toomevara 1-12

Burgess secured a good victory over Toomevara at Kilcolman on Sunday afternoon. The home side led all the way and were the beneficiaries of some soft goals conceded by Toome. Burgess led 1-9 to 0-6 at half time. Toome came back into the game at the start of the second half but Burgess’s second goal put them back in the driving seat. The home side’s better scoring power was the main difference and they ran out convincing winners by 8 points with Stephen Murray getting an impressive total of 1-10 from placed balls. Timmy Hogan’s 2 goals were also important for Burgess.

Division 1

Borris-Ileigh 1-10 Éire Óg Annacarty 1-13

Eire Og Annacarty retained their unbeaten run in the County Senior Hurling League by overcoming Borris-Ileigh last Saturday at wet and windy Bishop Quinlan Park in Borrisoleigh. With the elements behind them, Eire Og started brightly with early points from Ronan O’Brien along with pointed frees from Conor O’Brien and Padraig O’Dwyer. The home side kept in touch until 5 minutes before the break a long-range free from Conor O’Brien dropped into the net via the goalie’s fingers. Damien and Conor O’Brien and Kev Fox added further points to give the West side a healthy 1-10 to 0-5 lead at the interval. Borris-Ileigh had an early goal from a Benny Harkin free 3 minutes into the second period to bring them back into the game but it proved in vain as the elements conspired to disrupt the game ensuring that defences dominated and scores were hard to come by. Padraig O’Dwyer (3, 2 frees) and Kev Fox had scores for Eire Og in the second half helping them to a deserved a 1-14 to 1-9 victory.

Upperchurch Drombane 3-15 Kilruane MacDonaghs 2-18

Upperchurch Drombane delivered a much improved performance from last week in a high scoring draw at Drombane against Kilruane MacDonaghs. After playing with a slight breeze in the first half, MacDonaghs led at half time by 2-10 to 1-8, the Upperchurch goal being scored somewhat fortuitously by Mikey Ryan from 60m. Upperchurch came back into the game strongly in the second half and inspired by goals from Mikey Ryan and Owen Shortt and a penalty save by Ailbe O’Donoghue from Ray McLoughney, they led by a point coming near full time. However, a fine equalizing point from Kilruane veteran, Mark O’Leary, with the second last puck of the game after a pass from Brian O’Meara, saw the sides level at the final whistle.

Moycarkey Borris 1-15 Roscrea 2-12

In a hard fought contest there was nothing between the sides on the final gasp of the referee’s whistle on Sunday afternoon in Littleton between Moycarkey Borris and Roscrea.

Portroe 4-15 Killenaule 1-17

Portroe after a draw last weekend registered a 7 point win over visitors from the South Division, Killenaule at Portroe. Two goals early in the first half from veteran Dinny Hogan and David Gleeson provided the platform for the Portroe victory. They led by 5 at half time, 2-8 to 1-6. In an entertaining second half they maintained their supremacy and further goals from John Sheedy and Mark Gennery crowned a good performance and earned the Shannonsiders a deserved win.

Moneygall 1-8 JK Brackens 3-16

Moneygall and JK Brackens met in Moneygall on Sunday afternoon with Brackens winning with some ease.

Templederry Kenyons 1-23 Nenagh Éire Óg 0-20

Templederry claimed two league points at the expense of Nenagh Éire Óg at a sunny Templederry on Sunday last.

Division 2

Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams 2-13 Golden Kilfeacle 1-11

Knockavilla Kickhams recorded their first win in this year’s county league with a comfortable five point win over a disappointing Golden/Kilfeacle side in Dundrum last Sunday afternoon. Kickhams led all through and in truth should have won by more in the finish. After fifteen minutes their dominance began to show when they led by 1-5 to 3 points, Golden were reliant on frees from Paddy Ivors at this stage. The trend was to continue for the remainder of the first half with Kickhams scoring some fine points with Patrick O’Brien particularly impressive. James O’Connell and Paddy Ivors responded for Golden to leave the score at the break Kickhams 1-7 Golden 0-5. In the second half the same trend continued. Kickhams looked much the better side against a very lethargic Golden. They raised another green flag when Richard Horgan finished after a scramble in the Golden defence. After this Kickhams took their foot off the pedal somewhat and Golden made some changes that brought them back in to the game. They managed to scramble a goal of their own when young Christopher Ryan finished well after a high ball was dropped in. However it was never enough and Kickhams ran out comfortable winners.

Ballingarry 1-13 Cappawhite 1-12

Cappawhite were the dominant team throughout a low scoring first half with Jerry O’Neill hitting 4 points from frees. The half time score was Cappa 0-6 Ballingarry 0-4. Inspired by Philip Ivors who came on as a sub late in the first half, Ballingarry improved significantly in the second period, hitting a number of well taken points and followed up with a goal midway through the half to put them in a commanding position. A late goal for Cappa ensured a close finish but Ballingarry held on for a one point victory.