St Mary’s survive Cahir fightback to reach final

South IHC semi-final

South IHC semi-final

St Marys 0-19 Cahir 1-14

On Friday last in the first of the Martins Fruit & Veg Intermediate Hurling semi finals played in Goatenbridge, the younger St Marys just about deserved their victory over a gallant Cahir that only got going in the last 15 minutes.

Seamus Kennedy shone for the Clonmel side followed by Liam Glendon, Stephen and Gearoid Buckley, Brian McDonald,F ergal Condon and Emmett Ryan while for Cahir, Benny Hickey, Derek Davis, subs Dean Lonergan and Paraic Whelan gave of their best and could not be faulted

In the 3rd minute St Marys opened their account with a point from play by Emmett Ryan and within a minute Stephen Buckley added another from a sideline free and two from Gearoid Buckley left St Marys 0-4 ahead.

Cahir got off the mark in the 10th minute when Paul Tuohy pointed a free followed by a well taken goal by Derek Davis who burst through the middle to give Keith Browne no chance.

Almost on the puck out Brian McDonald replied with a well executed point for St Marys and this was followed by the point of the half from Liam Glendon from 50m out. In the 16th minute Cahir were awarded a free when Daire O’Brien was fouled and Derek Davis made no mistake pointing the free and added another from play to bring the sides level for the second time, St Marys 0-6 Cahir 1-3.

Fergal Condon got on the score sheet when Brian McDonald placed a good pass in his run through the middle to score a point and when St Marys were awarded a free in the 21st minute 70m out, Seamus Kennedy stepped up to put it straight between the posts to go two points clear.

Benny Hickey set up Derek Davis to pull a point back in the 22nd minute. In the 25th minute Fergal Condon added a point to St Marys tally with Gearoid Buckley pointing a free in the 26th minute to go 0-10 to 1-4 ahead. We then had an exchange of points, the first by Paul Tuohy for Cahir from a free and the final score of the half after a great run up the middle of the field whenSeamus Kennedy pointed for St Marys to leave the score at the short whistle St Marys 0-11 Cahir 1-5.

Cahir were first off the mark in the second half when Paul Tuohy scored his first point from play but ‘this was short lived when St Marys Brian McDonald replied with a point from play and immediately Ger Corcoran added another to go 4 points clear.

Paul Tuohy for Cahir from 30m and Gearoid Buckley St Marys from 60m exchanged points Seamus Kennedy pointed a 65.

In the 12th minute Emmet Ryan scored his second point of the game to put St Marys very much to the fore 0-16 to 1-7. Cahir introduced Paraic Whelan off the bench with almost immediate effect when he won a free that Paul Tuohy scored a point from, Gearoid Buckley pointed a free and Paul Tuohy replied for Cahir. Fergal Condon hit another Clonmel point,

In the final 10 minutes Cahir upped their game and ran at the St Marys defence with 3 points, two from frees from Paddy O’Flaherty and Derek Davis, and from play from Paul Tuohy to leave the score St Marys 0-18 Cahir 1-12.

St Marys pinched a point back when Gearoid Buckley pointed a free after Liam Glendon was fouled on the 60m line, their last of the game. Cahir winning a free in the 27th minute on the 40m line with Paul Tuohy scoring with the final score of the game in the 29th minute from James Swords. St Marys hung on with great defending in the final few minutes.

St Marys - Keith Browne, John Trehy, Noel O’Mahony, Barry Gibbons, Brendan Costello, Seamus Kennedy 0-3(2f), Ciaran O’Connell, Fergal Condon 0-3, Stephen Buckley 0-2(1f), Gearoid Buckley 0-5(4f), Ger Corcoran 0-1, Luke Moore, Liam Glendon 0-1, Brian McDonald 0-2 Emmett Ryan 0-2. Subs Jason Lonergan, Sammy Ryan,

Cahir - David Coffey, John O’Brien, Gavin Queeney, Gerald Hally, Liam Meehan, Paddy O’Flaherty, Edmond Meehan, Benny Hickey, Noel O’Gorman, Aiden Casey, Paul Tuohy 0-7(4f), James Swords 0-1, James McGrath, Derek Davis 1-5(2f), Daire O’Brien. Subs Dean Lonergan, Paraic Whelan,

Referee - Willie Barrett (Ardfinnan)