Ballybacon-Grange power their way through to final

South u-21 HC ‘A’ semi-final

South u-21 HC ‘A’ semi-final

Ballybacon-Grange 1-15

Ballingarry 1-7

On Saturday last in the first of the Bob Fitzgerald U21HA Semi Finals played in Monroe, Balllybacon-Grange showed why they were top of the league section with a comprehensive victory over 2011 Champions Ballingarry to reach the final expected to be played next Saturday in Monroe.

The game never got going into the free fast flowing hurling that we expect from both teams with frees the order of the day - Ballybacon-Grange scoring nine in the first half with a first class display of free taking from Eoin Walsh, the first coming in the opening minute from 30m out.

Ballingarry pointed from play from John Edward Molloy in the 4th minute with Adrian Cleere adding another in the 5th minute. Ballybacon scored 0-6 (5frees) from the 6th minute to the 18th minute without a reply from Ballingarry who had 3 good attacks saved by the keeper - all Ballybacon scores from Eoin Walsh.

In the 19th minute Jonathan Ivors scored a lone point for Ballingarry with Ballybacon-Grange continuing to push ahead with 3 points from Eoin Walsh frees and an excellent catch and goal scored from by Daniel O’Regan from around 30m out fired into the top corner of the net to leave the half tIme score Ballybacon-Grange 1-10 Ballingarry 0-3

After the interval Ballingarry got their act together for 12 minutes but all they could show for their dominance was 2 points from frees by Adrain Cleere with 3 wides and 2 goal missed chances and their revival never got off the ground with Ballybacon-Grange scoring two points in as many minutes to wipe out Ballingarry’s effort from a free by Eoin Walsh and the other from Daniel O’Regan from play.

In the 48th minute we had an exchange of points from frees from Adrian Cleere and Eoin Walsh with the same player adding a free in the 55 minute from a free. Ballybacon-Grange’s Tom Kirwan rambling from full forward back as a sweeper in defence was the highlight of the second half.

Adrian Cleere got Ballingarry’s score in the 58th minute from a free with their last score of the game on the stroke of full time a terrific goal from Jonathan Ivors but it was too little too late with the final score of the game a great point from the middle of the field by Aaron Cowan.

Best for Ballybacon-Grange were Jonathan Ryan, Billy Hewitt, Aaron Cowan, Aaron Lonergan, Eoin Walsh, Daniel O’Regan, Tom Kirwan whil for a gallant Ballingarry, Jack Fennelly gave of his best supported by Ger Fennelly, Adrian Cleere and Jonathan Ivors.

Scorers, Ballyybacon-Grange, Eoin Walsh 0-13 (11frees), Daniel O’Regan 1-1, Aaron Cowan 0-1.

Ballingarry, Adrian Cleere 0-5(4frees), Jonathan Ivors 1-1, John Edward Molloy 0-1.

Ballybacon-Grange - Eoin Lambert, Michael O’Sullivan, Jonathan Ryan, Jason Coffey, Karl Costigan, Billy Hewitt, Darren Bray, Aaron Cowan, Aaron Lonergan, Philip Murphy, Eoin Walsh, Daniel O’Regan, Christopher Lambert, Tom Kirwan, Michael Goonan.

Ballingarry - Paul Butler, Conor Mangan, Jack Fennelly, Kevin Pollard, Shane Fitzgerald, Sean Doheny, Dara Ivors, John Edward Molloy, Ger Fennelly, Eamon Butler, Adrain Cleere, Mathew Butler, Jonathan Ivors, Sean Maher, Eamon Tuohy, Subs Used Niall Walsh and Conor Maher

Referee - Keith Delahunty (Moyle Rovers).