NSHC Templederry Hand Borrisokane a Heavy Defeat

Kenyons 5-28 Borrisokane 0-5

Kenyons 5-28 Borrisokane 0-5

It was absolutely devastating to see such a proud club like Borrisokane suffer a 38-point beating at MacDonagh Park, Cloughjordan on Saturday evening. Vincent McKenna’s men lost their way early in this contest and struggled to contain a rampant Templederry team. And, while Borrisokane looked well off the pace Templederry have emerged as a real force in this year’s north championship.

On Saturday evening Christy Coughlan, Pádraig O’Leary and especially Adrian Ryan were outstanding on an individual basis, but collectively Templederry were highly impressive - the ball was moved smartly into the danger zone, their defending was terrific and more often than not the ball was worked into the hand of the guy in the best position. Indeed, it will be extremely interesting to see how this Templederry team get on against Borris-Ileigh in their next outing.

Borrisokane responded to early points from John Kennedy (free), Pádraig O’Leary and Adrian Ryan with efforts from Seosamh Cleary (’65) and a superb shot from Brian Davis to leave just a point between them (0-2 to 0-3) by the sixth minute.

Templederry upped their performance considerably thereafter with points from Pádraig Ryan, Brian Stapleton (two), Gearóid Ryan, John Kennedy and a seventh minute goal from Pádraig O’Leary (created by John Kennedy) helping the Kenyons into a 1-8 to 0-2 lead by the 15th minute.

Gordon Harding responded for Borrisokane and although Vincent McKenna’s men managed to respond once more to a brace of John Kennedy frees with a superb left-handed effort from Cathal Dooley in the 23rd minute (0-4 to 1-10) the signs were ominous for a side who had to face the wind in the second half.

Before the break Templederry added five points to their tally thanks to the efforts of John Kennedy (free), Brian Stapleton, Éanna Murray, Pádraig O’Leary and Adrian Ryan.

Half-time: Templederry 1-15 Borrisokane 0-4.

Mere seconds had elapsed in the second half when Éanna Murray swept home Templederry’s second goal. Gearóid Ryan and Adrian Ryan then added points before the Kenyons plundered their third goal in the 37th minute - once more John Kennedy was prepared to take a tackle before sending Pádraig O’Leary through on goal; O’Leary beat William Brooks with a clever flick.

Then, straight from the resultant puck-out, Templederry gathered possession and worked the ball into the hand of Gearóid Ryan who made no mistake with a rasping left-hand shot.

Gearóid Ryan followed that effort up with a point before a fifth Templederry goal materialised in the 39th minute. This time Pádraig Ryan was responsible for the three-pointer. Borrisokane had now shipped 4-3 in nine minutes of second half action and trailed 0-4 to 5-18.

Templederry continued to pour forward with points from Adrian Ryan (two), Paul Murray, Pádraig O’Leary (two), Pádraig Ryan (two), Éanna Murray (free) and Mathew Hogan helping their side into a 5-28 to 0-4 lead. It is worth noting that Templederry also fired 15 wides (Borrisokane five).

All Borrisokane could offer in terms of token resistance was a 21-yard free from Seosamh Cleary which Mathew Ryan saved (albeit at the cost of hand injury).

Ironically enough Borrisokane had the final say in the matter when Seosamh Cleary tapped over a free right on the hour mark following a foul on Conor Forde. Despite the fact that there had been a number of stoppages and nine substitutions referee Michael Cahill had the good sense to blow for time in the first minute of injury time.

Templederry Kenyons: Mathew Ryan, Pádraig Ryan, Tadhg McLoughlin, Eddie Hynes, Timmy Minogue, Thomas Stapleton, Christy Coughlan, Tom Ryan, Adrian Ryan (0-5), Éanna Murray (1-2, 0-1 free), Brian Stapleton (0-3), Gearóid Ryan (1-3), Pádraig Ryan (1-3), Pádraig O’Leary (2-4), John Kennedy (0-5, 0-4 frees). Subs: (39th) Paul Murray (0-1) for Brian Stapleton, (40th) John Harkin for Eddie Hynes, (43rd) Mathew Hogan (0-2) for John Kennedy, (48th) Dan Shanahan for Tom Ryan, (51st) John Kennedy for Mathew Ryan.

Borrisokane: William Brooks, Patrick Gavin, Enda Forde, Graham McMahon, Brian Davis (0-1), Shane Nevin, David Kennedy, Seosamh Cleary (0-2, 0-1 free, 0-1 ’65), Robert Davis, Andy Austin, Conor Forde, Cathal Dooley (0-1), Gordon Harding (0-1), Kevin Gleeson, Shane Dooley. Subs: (9th) Séamus Moriarty for Colm Larkin, (HT) Shane Stapleton for David Kennedy, (41st) Brian Dooley for Brian Davis, (45th) Ger Reddan for Kevin Gleeson.

Referee: Michael Cahill (Kilruane MacDonagh’s).