Kickhams Claim Second Win Over Unlucky Cashel

West SHC Kickhams 3-7 Cashel KC 1-8

West SHC Kickhams 3-7 Cashel KC 1-8

This second round game played in New Inn on Sunday, saw the Kickhams claim their second win over hapless Cashel KC, who are still without a point after two games. Also the loss of Mickey Coleman was sorely felt by the boys from the Rock. This win almost ensures the Kickhams a semifinal spot, and Cashel may end up in the relegation stakes,however much is going to depend also on the results of their upcomoing games and also Golden Kilfeacle’s progress.

The swirling, galeforce gusts of winds made conditions difficult for players and spectators alike. So it was really a tale of two halves, with the team aided by the breeze sending puckouts to the opposing teams large square. In the first half Cashel KC failed to get maximum return from their wind assistance. This in the end contributed to their defeat. They were ahead by only four points at the break and in the second half raised only two white flags. On the other hand Kickhams got the goals in each half which gave them foundation for this important victory.

Strangely neither side raised a score in the opening five minutes. Then Jonathan Grogan pointed a free and Derek Breen replied for the Kickhams to level.Points from a Grogan free, and from play by Adrian Cummins sent Cashel ahead. After seventeen minutes Kickhams struck for their first goal from Davy Butler to go into a point lead. But, Cashel responded, and came back with points, two from Adrian Cummins,one from a free, before a Jonathan Grogan shot went to the back of the Kickhams net, after twenty five minutes. Cashel now led 1-6 to 1-1. Alan Horgan finished the half with a Kickhams point.Cashel held a precarious four point lead, 1-6 to 1-2, at the break.

Kickhams, slowly, began to haul back the Cashel lead after the interval. Alan Horgan had three pointed frees and a Damien McGrath point from play leaving the sides level twelve minutes into the second half. Four minutes later following a Damien McGrath delivery, a David Butler shot was pushed over the Cashel goal line by the evergreen Brian Horgan. Kickhams now led 2-6 to 1-6. Cashel were still in the game and points by Gearóid Slattery and a Jonathan Grogan free had only a point between the sides, eighteen minutes into the half. Kickhams were also down to fourteen men after the dismissal of Aiden Heney. But three minutes later following good work by Padraig Slattery, Davy Butler soloed through and struck a piledriver into the roof of the Cashel net putting his side ahead 3-5 to 1-8. Butler added another point minutes later. Neither side raised a flag in the final eight minutes and Kickhams held on for their four point victory.

Cashel must be disappointed. Again their forwards failed to finish good chances from play and placed balls,with and against the wind. The backs were were overworked but Brian Minogue, Tony Hewitt, Simon DelaneyJonathan Grogan and Ross Doyle never gave up. Gearoid Slattery, Adrian Cummins and Robert Anglim caught the eye in the attack.

It was a pleasing victory from Kickhams, their second in as many weeks.Nigel Hayes,Padraig Hayes and Michael Heelan were solid in defense. Damien McGrath and Paul O’Dwyer were busy over the hour while Padraig Slattery, Alan Horgan, Brian Horgan and two goal hero Davy Butler were most prominent in the attack.

Kickhams: Paddy Ryan; James Shanahan, Nigel Hayes, Michael Shanahan; Aidan Heney, Alan Horgan (0-3) (0-2f), Michael Heelan; Derek Breen (0-1), Damien McGrath (0-1); Padraig Hayes, Eoin Carew. Paul O’Dwyer; Davy Butler (2-1), Brian Horgan (1-0), Padraig Slattery.Subs: Cathal Morrissey for Derek Breen, Daragh Browne for Alan Horgan, Richard Horgan for Brian Horgan,Shane Heelan for Padraig Slattery.

Cashel King Cormacs: Eoin Quirke; Tony Hewitt, Brian Minogue, John Darmody; Simon Delaney, Jonathan Grogan (1-4)(0-4f), Ross Doyle;Michael K O’Dwyer (0-1), Eddie Walsh; Gearóid Slattery (0-1),Darren O’Day, Adrian Cummins (0-2)(0-1f); Philip Taylor, Turlough Bonnar, Robert Anglim. Subs;James Cummins fot Turlough Bonnar,Ronan O’Donoghue for Tony Hewitt,Paddy Morrissey for Darren O’Day.

Referee; Noel Cosgrove.