Thiobraid Arann Coiste na nOg Scene

All the news from the County Bord na nOg.

All the news from the County Bord na nOg.

Our season got out of the starting blocks last Saturday with the staging of both the U15 & 16 Inter Divisional Football tournaments.

The Bórd officers are grateful to the County Senior Bórd for making Dr. Morris Park, available, to Durlas Og for giving us Pairc na Nog and to Thurles Sarsfield for the use of their pitches. The action commenced in Dr. Morris Park with the two U 16 semi finals. Defending champions played the north while simultaneously the west were in action against the south. The mid v north was a close affair during the first half with the advantage at the interval being with the mid - 2-02 to 1-03

In the second period a single point separated the sides with only five minutes remaining. However the mid had the north net shaking and at the final whistle won 3-03 to 2-05.

In the other contest the south were in commanding form with goals coming from both Kyle Peters and John Lyons while only conceding two points to secure an interval lead of 2-05 to 0-02.

Upon the resumption the west had added 1-01 to their tally to put the score reading South 2-06 West 1-03. However it was to be the last contribution from the westerners as the south marched to the final on a finishing tally of 2-07 to 1-03.

The cup final between defending champions from the mid and the football strong hold division from the south was a very hard contested battle. The south with the breeze advantage in the opening period was dominating matters and enjoyed their superiority in many areas of the park. Their use of the ball was very fluently executed and when within the opposing goal were always a serious threat.

At the interval the south finished with a four point advantage South 0-05 Mid 0-01.To many observers it would appear to be the south’s day however one always has to await the final whistle to be certain sure.

Upon the restart of proceeding Brian McGrath added the opening point from play quickly followed by another from Stephen Flanagan to reduce the mid deficit to two points. Three minutes later Lyndon Fairbrother had another, to put just a single point between the sides. Then disaster struck for the defending champions with the dismissal of Daithi O’Se for a second yellow offence. However being down numerically on the pitch didn’t’ deter the fighting spirit of the mid.

But they were on the receiving side of sustained attack and on the sixteenth minute conceded a point from the south courtesy of Mike Barlow to put his side two point ahead with four minutes remaining. Once again sharpshooter Brian McGrath was the recipient of a lovely placed pass and struck over a brilliant point to once again reduce the difference to a solitary point in the seventeenth minute. As has often been proved such a small lead can prove to be dangerous. The mid with the clock against them made on final raid towards the southern goal and with Lyndon Fairbrother using both his strength and skill had the net shaking for the games only goal and put the mid in front for the very first time. It was heart break for the south boys to see victory denied to them within the closing moments of the contest. But full credit to the mid lads for their never give up spirit and there by secure back to back title in this grade.

Prior to making the presentations county chairman Joe Kennedy thanked all the participating teams for such good displays of football in such conditions. He thanked all concerned for making Dr. Morris Park available. Joe then presented the cup to victorious mid Captain Tomas Butler from Upperchurch Drombane club. The west captain Shane Neville Lattin Cullen Club accepted the shield trophy as the west won their contest against the north on a score of 3-03 to 1-05.

U 15 Football. The two semi finals of the U 15 football commenced @ 3.30pm with both played simultaneously. The mid v north played in Sarsfield pitch with victory going to the mid. The other contest between west and south was played in Pairc na Nog was a very closely contested matter with the west finishing on top by one point.

The finals took place in Dr. Morris Park with the mid v west in the cup final. The mid had the west net shaking after the opening thirty seconds with goal from Edward O’Gorman. On the fourth minute Matthew O’Sullivan put a point on the sore board to put the mid 1-01 ahead. On the fifth minute the west missed out on converting a penalty, but two minutes later Cormac Maher got their opening goal to put the score at 1-01 to 1-00. The west became awake and added four unanswered points to be three points to the good with fourteen minutes gone. 1-04 to 1-01.

The second penalty of the half was awarded to the mid within the closing five minutes which captain Gavin Ryan duly converted to level the sides. Another west point came to give them a single point advantage. Just prior to the half time whistle James Kirby pointed a free to level proceedings 2-02 to 1-05.

Upon the resumption daylight was quickly disappearing at it was 6.08pm. However this did not deter the determination of either side. The west added two points to go ahead 1-07 to 2-02 with ten minutes remaining. On the thirteenth minute Neil Quinlan struck the mid second goal to put the score 3-02 to 1-07 which was quickly followed with a point from Christopher Carew to put the mid with a two point lead. A minute later the games fifth goal was recorded when the west had the mid net shaking and monuments later they had another to put the west ahead 3-07 to 3-03. The replied with a point from Matthew O’Sullivan to reduce the difference to three points and despite a further onslaught into the western goal failed to succeed. Victory went to a jubilant west side on a finishing score of West 3-07 Mid 3-04. Joe Kennedy presented the cup to west victorious captain Conal Donovan Arravale Rovers Club and the shield to south Jack Hayes Killenaule Club whose side overcame the north on a score of South 5-07 North 3-03.