Mid Bórd na nÓg

Full reports of U-14 and U-14 football finals

Full reports of U-14 and U-14 football finals

Hard to believe it but we are down to the two remaining football finals tonight which brings an end to football at divisional level this year. Since last Friday four other finals have been played and we wish to congratulate Durlas Óg (U14A), Thurles Gaels (U16C), Moyne-Templetuohy (U16B) and Drom&Inch (U16A) on their Mid final success and extend best wishes to all our clubs contesting county semi-finals at various later dates.

Best wishes also to the Peadar Cummins panel and selectors, Kevin Butler (Drom-Inch), Eoin Shortt (Upperchurch-Drombane), Pat Molloy (Moycarkey-Borris) and Jack Fogarty (Moyne-Templetuohy) on Saturday in the annual showpiece tournament. The Mid semi-final against South takes place in the Ragg at 11am with the finals in Borrisoleigh later in the day. 
Templemore Jewellers

U16A Football Final

Drom-Inch 1-18

JK Brackens 1-04

A repeat of last year’s final was the only real similarity this game had with its predecessor as a ruthless Drom and Inch side pulverised what JK Brackens had put up against them as they clinically claimed the title for the second year in a row. Based on the evidence laid out in Holycross they will be a formidable adversary for any team and will be considered by many to go one better than last year and lift the county title. It was a disappointing result for Brackens who had accounted for Drom in the league rounds but on the night they were flat which can happen the best of teams at every level and never got going to their potential.
Drom set to task early and were soon on the board through Thomas Nolan. It was all Drom then in the opening stages as they won all primary possession and were dominant in all sectors with the midfield and half forward line particularly effective. So much so that the bulk of the Drom scores would come from these areas, with Nolan and his midfield partner Ciarán Thorpe setting up scores as well as taking them, Aidan O’Meara and Stevie Nolan profiting from their colleagues work rate.
At the other end Brackens only shot at the posts saw Lyndon Fairbrother’s effort come back off the post in a rare attack. No such problems for Drom as Stevie Nolan found the net in the eighteenth minute after a brief goalmouth scramble.
David O’Shea opened Bracken’s account with a point with five minutes to half time as he collected a ball in from a forty five. Stevie Nolan then kicked over his second having started from midfield and cutting across to the right creating space and the opportunity to score. After Stephen Quinlan had pulled one back for Brackens his side was dealt a blow as they were reduced to fourteen just on half time, which read 1-08 to 02 at the break.
Drom resumed where they left off with Thorpe pointing in the opening minute, with Colm Kinane doing likewise minutes later. Fairbrother trying hard then got his name on the board but Drom scored at will in comparison. A faint glimmer of hope for Brackens came on eleven minutes when Michael Greed blocked down a casual clearance by the Drom keeper and followed up the loose ball to tap it into the open net. Stirred not shaken the Drom response was swift and the scores kept coming. Jamie Bergin stormed forward in customary fashion and set up scores as well as taking one, his closing point one of the highlight scores of the match. In what was a sporting contest, Brackens number was reduced by one again for a player’s second caution when the match was already beyond them. With time just up Emmet Moloney at pace laid off to O’Meara whose point from play was the last action. Drom-Inch; P Bergin, C Kinane 01, E Moloney, K Hassett 01, P Hennessy, J Bergin (C) 01, C O’Meara, T Nolan 04, C Thorpe 02 (01f), S Nolan 1-03, M Connors 04, A O’Meara 02, G Stewart, S Ryan, P Campion, Subs; M Clohessy, A Purcell, L Dempsey, B Ahern, M O’Brien, A Purcell, B Ahern, E Collins. 
JK Brackens; T Morrissey, M Egan, E Kennedy, A Coffey, C Sheedy, E Brophy, T Murphy, S VanDame (C), R Natkaneic, L Quinlan, L Fairbrother 01, S Quinlan 01, J Kennedy, D O’Shea 01, M Greed 1-01, Subs B Fogarty, J Bergin, N Quinlan, D Gleeson, L Kennedy, P Cadell, S Fogarty, B Fitzpatrick, C O’Brien, J Tierney, D Ryan, J Maloney, D Kavanagh.
Referee; L Shanahan (Upperchurch-Drombane).

Darmody Fencing

U16B Football Final

Moyne-Templetuohy 4-08

Loughmore-Castleiney 0-12

The first match of an U16 double header in Holycross on Sunday evening saw Moyne-Templetuohy eventually overpower an eager Loughmore-Castleiney side in a very entertaining encounter. It would however take Moyne until the final third of the second half to see off the Loughmore challenge and as the cliché says, “goals win matches”, with Moyne netting two in that period to seal victory. However, neither of those goals could even come close to their opening goal from Jamie Morrissey, which would win goal of the year at any level and one that will be talked about for years to come. Moyne-Templetuohy got off to a flier and were on target in their first attempt at the posts, as Morrissey kicked over with his right boot having been picked out from a placed ball inside the opening minute. 
The Loughmore response to Morrisseys great goal was swift and when Matthew McKevitt was brought down in possession, Loughmore’s talisman Brian McGrath dispatched the placed ball over the ball for their opening score. Geraóid O’Connor did likewise for Moyne when Morrissey was fouled to keep the four point margin. But from then on it was all Loughmore as the midfield partnership of McGrath and Peter Nyland cleaned up all possession as Loughmore went on a scoring spree. The four point deficit was altered to a two point game in a ten minute spell with McGrath accounting for three of them and two assists as he set up Nyland and Michael O’Connell with Michael Ryan instigating this period of dominance with his point following good interplay with Eoghan Ryan. 
Moyne lifted the siege though and Morrissey put one between them with two minutes to the break. With time just up Colm Ryan saw his fine shot well blocked by Brian Laffan but the breaking ball came out to Seán Moloney, who despite being surrounded by Loughmore backs somehow kicked in a low shot which found its way to the net leaving Moyne ahead rather unlikely at the break by two points, 2-03 to 07.
Upon resumption O’Connor kicked over another free before Moloney added a point to his goal as Moyne pushed on. Colm Ryan too for his entire endeavour got on the board as Moyne opened a five point lead. 
But McGrath was not gone away and a brace of frees despatched over the bar left three between them midway through the half. That was soon down to two when introduced substitute Conor Ryan kicked over a gem of a point from a tight angle on the right, quickly down to one and then level as Nyland and McGrath worked off the shackles and set up an exciting finish. But they were to be Loughmore-Castleiney’s last scores as the Moyne lads raised their game for one last surge.

Moyne-Templetuohy; L Tierney, M Ryan, C Lawlor, S Ryan, D Ryan, S Moloney 1-01, E Gorman, D Walsh, D Morrissey, D Leahy, C Ryan (C) 02, D Cantwell 1-00, S Troy, J Morrissey 2-03, G O’Connor 03f, Subs; C Bowe, A Kiely, E Keyes, A Kiely, E Campion.
Loughmore-Castleiney; B Laffan, D Sweeney, D Meagher, L Meade, S Maher, A Ryan, M O’Connell, P Nyland (C) 02, B McGrath 07 (05f), M Ryan 01, E Ryan, M O’Connell 01, C Connolly, M McKevitt, D Leahy, Subs; J Doyle, M McGrath, C Ryan 01, J O’Reilly, J Ryan, JLaffan.
Referee; J Kelly (Thurles Gaels).

John Ryan Bus Hire U14A Football Final

Durlas Óg 2-09 Moycarkey-Borris 2-04

In a rematch of this year’s Féile Peil final, Durlas Óg and Moycarkey-Borris set to battle in the John Ryan Bus Hire U14A final in Kickham Park last Friday night, with the Durlas Óg boys reversing that earlier season setback by securing the U14A title with a more even and consistent performance throughout. The initial stages were even enough, but the more purposeful Durlas Óg side were first to the ball in key areas and dictated the play. As a result Daniel Moloney registered his side’s first point after four minutes. As Durlas Óg drove on Philip Ryan made a great interception in the heart of the Moycarkey defence and his resultant drive and clearance downfield led to James Dillon tying up the match after ten minutes. That though was to be Moycarkey’s only score of the half as Durlas Óg took control. Aidan Butler put over a free before Hickey fed the roving Purcell who with a lot of work to do found Christopher Carew on the edge of the square, Carew making no mistake from close range to raise the first green flag of the night. Purcell himself was on the score sheet soon after, when collecting a ball in from a free turned nicely to point; one way traffic for Durlas Óg or so it seemed.
Still though Moycarkey plugged away and Ryan yet again stormed out of defence with another clearance as he and Hackett covered acres of ground. But despite their efforts it was Durlas Óg who tagged on the scores with Stakelum kicking over a brace of points in quick succession from off the left. A glimmer of light for Moycarkey near half time as Rhys Shelly’s looping effort almost beat the keeper which would have certainly buoyed his side going in at the break but the Durlas Óg rear-guard held strong, half time score 1-05 to 01. 
Midway through the second half the game seemed dead and buried when Purcell’s shot at the posts came back off the left upright and with the Moycarkey backs already heading outfield, the ball fell kindly for Carew who punched it home for his second goal of the game.
That though seemed to be the impetus Moycarkey needed as in their next foray downfield they were awarded a twenty metre free. With nothing on his mind other than goal, McKelvey made no mistake as his pin point strike hit the roof of the net, the revival was on. Almost immediately Jack Hackett’s ball in was fumbled by the keeper into the arms of the Kieran Kearney and as he too netted from close range it was all to play for. With tension building two further points for the ‘Borris men from McKelvey and Jack Fallon left four between the sides with four minutes to play. But that was as good as it got for Moycarkey as the bridge too far.

Durlas Óg; L Power, P Moloney, C O’Hagan, A Martin, A Derby, S Barrett, E Moore, W Creedon (C), A Hickey, M Stakelum 03, A Cooney, M Purcell 03, D Moloney 01, A Butler 01f, C Carew 2-01, Subs; J Bambrick, J Croke, S Doyle, P Bowden, B Shanahan, S Dunne, P Ryan.
Moycarkey-Borris; A McKelvey 1-02 (1-01f), P O’Sullivan, C O’Brien, C Dunne, K Kearney (C) 1-00, P Ryan, S Maher, J Fallon 01f, DFitzpatrick, R Shelly, J Hackett, J Kirwan, J Dillon 01, M Murphy, R Darmody, Subs; PJ Tunstall, S O’Meara, D O’Donnell, P Blake, D Flood, M Hackett.

Referee; T McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney).