Tipperary Co-Op Super Value West Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship
Cappawhite edge a lively affair with Cashel

West Tipperary Senior

West Tipperary Senior

Hurling Championship

Cappawhite 1-11

Cashel King Cormacs 1-10

In contrast to the game between Eire Óg and Kickhams, there was very much at stake in the Tipperary Co-Op SuperValu senior hurling championship game between Cappawhite and Cashel King Cormacs at Golden on Sunday afternoon. For the winners there was a place in the semi-finals of the West championship, entry into the Dan Breen Cup and qualification for the A competition of the senior hurling championship in 2014. In contrast the losers were destined for the O’Riain Cup, possible relegation and for uncertain senior status in 2014.

The result was a lively, interesting game even if the quality of the hurling was poor at time, helped in no way by the slippery conditions. Each side played with great purpose and intention even if their execution didn’t always live up to their expectations.

Cashel had a great start when Dylan Fitzell touched home a cross from Lee Burke for a goal in the opening minute. Ger O’Neill responded with a point for Cappawhite immediately and then the game settled down with no further scores for ten minutes.

In a four-minute spell between the eleventh and the fifteenth minutes Cashel had three points to go into a 1-3 to 0-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Then following a high ball into the Cashel goalmouth which was blocked out by the Cashel goalkeeper, Timmy Cranley latched on to it and sent it to the back of the Cashel net.

In the remainder of the half Cappawhite added two points and Cashel one to leave the King Cormacs just ahead by 1-4 to 1-3 at half-time. Neither side had succeeded in established supremacy over the other even though Cappawhite probably regretted some of the six wides they had during the period.

As he had done at the start of the game Dylan Fitzell opened the proceedings with the first score on the resumption. Then followed a period of Cappawhite dominance during which they scored five unanswered points to go three points in front after ten minutes. It appeared as if they were headed for victory.

However, Cashel rallied and they hit five unanswered points during the next eight minutes to go two points in front on a scoreline of 1-10 to 1-8 after eighteen minutes. It looked at this stage as if they had the game in hand.

Whether they lost their momentum or Cappawhite rallied it was the latter who had the better of the exchanges during the final thirteen minutes. Cashel failed to score during this period as their supply of ball was cut off by a very effective half-back line, where Tom Treacy and Michael O’Neill very particularly effective.

In contrast Cappawhite scored three points to clear the deficit and go one point in front by the final whistle on a scoreline of 1-11 to 1-10.

Whereas a draw would have given them a semi-final place, Cappawhite were very happy with their victory and were well served by Tom Treacy and Michael O’Neill, already mentioned, as well as Matthew Kennedy and Ross Dunne.

In the context of some of their recent displays this was a fine performance by Cashel and they were unfortunate to lose their momentum in the last quarter after going two points in front. They had fine displays from Brain Minogue, John Darmody, Robert Anglim and James Cummins who came on as a sub.

Cappawhite: Franny Quinn, Ger Ryan (P), Sean Ryan (W), Cathal McCarthy, Michael O’Neill, Tom Treacy (0-1), Ross Dunne, Donagh Heffernan, Paddy Julian, Matthew Kennedy (0-4), John McGrath, Russell Quirke, Timmy Cranley (1-1), Thomas Costello, Ger O’Neill (0-5). Subs: Kevin Stapleton for Thomas Costello, Pat O’Neill for John McGrath, James Bradshaw for Timmy Cranley.

Cashel King Cormacs: Owen Quirke, Tony Hewitt, Brian Minogue, Paddy Morrissey, John Darmody, Jonathan Grogan (0-5), Ross Doyle, Eddy Walsh, Robert Anglim, Dylan Fitzell (1-1), Simon Delaney, Adrian Cummions, Philip Taylor (0-1), Michael Coleman (0-2), Lee Burke. Subs: James Cummins (0-1) for Adrian Cummins, Darren O’Dea for Philip Taylor, Gearóid Slattery for James Cummins.

Referee: John McCormack (Kickhams).