Wins for Galtee Rovers and Aherlow Gaels in county football championship

All the action from Cashel

All the action from Cashel

County Senior Football


Galtee Rovers 0-10 Cahir 0-5

This first game in the Clean Ireland Recycling County SFC in Cashel last Saturday evening, between near neighbours, was played in warm sunny conditions, but did little to enthuse the small band of loyal supporters from both sides. Both sets of forwards were wasteful from frees and placed balls, but the Galtee Rovers sextet were the more guilty. Cahir too must be asking themselves how the managed just one point from play over the hour in this stop-go game.

However Galtee Rovers were the better side, leading, with points from Shane Egan and Stephen McGrath, to Benny Hickey’s pointed free after ten minutes. Cahir, remarkably, did not raise a flag for the rest of the half despite creating some very good chances. Mid way through the half Shane Egan was put through by Tony O’Brien for a gilt edge goal chance which was fluffed. Further points from Shane Egan, Michael O’Connell and Tony Egan left Galtee Rovers leading at the break 0-5 to 0-1, and in truth they should have been much further ahead.

After the interval Cahir now with wind advantage, made many positional changes and had two pointed frees from Benny Hickey within minutes of the restart. Then followed a string of wides from Cahir before Galtee Rovers struck back with three unanswered points from play by Shane Egan –two, and one from Tony Egan. So at the end of the third quarter Galtee rovers led 0-8 to 0-3. Cahir substitute, Johnny McMahon was put through for a point by Paddy O’Flaherty and then Benny Hickey kicked over a free to leave his side trailing 0-8 to 0-5 after forty minutes. Cahir also had lost their influential centre back and captain, Robbie Costigan earlier. Galtee Rovers added two further points in the final ten minutes from the Egan brothers. However in this period Cahir upped their game and Galtee Rovers had to defend strongly to hold out for victory.

Galtee Rovers; Eamon O’Connell; Robert Doyle, Vinny Murphy, Andrew Morrissey; Damien Bourke, Pa Morrissey, Tony O’Brien; Stephen McGrath (0-1), Mark O’Brien; Niall Daly Denis Peters, Christopher Higgins; Tony Egan (0-5)(0-3f), Michael O’Connell, Shane Egan (0-4)(0-1f). Subs; Patrick O’Brien for Niall Daly.

Cahir; Aaron Wall; Cormac Crowe, Ryan Hennessy, Ger Hally;Sean O’Connor, Robbie Costigan, (Capt), Niall McKenna;Diarmuid Tarrant, Edmund Meehan;Liam Casey, Paddy O’Flaherty, James McGrath;Shane Murphy, Aidan Casey, Benny Hickey(0-4). Subs: Mikey O’Connor for Cormac Crowe, Johnny McMahon (0-1) for Shane Murphy. Eoin Quinlan for Paddy O’Flaherty.

Ref;S Lonergan.

Aherlow Gaels 2-12

Killenaule 2-7

In this second game at Cashel last Saturday the Gaels had to pull out all the stops in the second half to emerge with the victory. In the opening half a seemingly disinterested Killenaule side, playing with a little wind advantage, played very defensively. At times they had only two attackers in the Aherlow Gaels half. As the half progressed it seemed as if they were just going through the motions, and the Gaels led 2-6 to 0-2 at the break. However their second half display showed their true grit and skill as they took the game to the Gaels, but found their first half deficit too much to overcome. Indeed had they settled in earlier, the result might have been alltogether different.

The Gaels had early pioints fromTimmy Byrnes and Bernard O’Brien, before Kieran Bergin set up Michael Doyle for Killenaule’s opener after ten minutes. Mark Russell and Thomas Fahy added points to leave the Gaels ahead 0-4 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter. Killenaule were finding it difficult to cope with the pace of Thomas Fahy and Sean Cunningham and early in the second quarter these players had a hand in two quick goals. The first goal was flicked to the net by Mark Russell following a cross by Sean Cunningham and the second goal two minutes later was finished by Cunningham after good work by Thomas Fahy. So after twenty minutes, the Gaels led 2-4 to 0-1. Despite strong displays from Declan Fanning at full back, Kieran Bergin at centre back and Paddy Codd at midfield and the hard working Kenneth Browne, their forwards were playing too deep and depending on Gerry Kennedy John O’Dwyer and the Doyles to get scores on the breaks. Bernard O’Brien – with two, and John O’Dwyer exchanged points to leave Aherlow Gaels leading 2-6 to 0-2 at half time.

After the interval, Killenaule attacked from the throw in and Shane Leonard saved well from a Gerry Kennedy piledriver. Then Timmy Byrnes increased the Gaels lead with two pointed frees. Killenaule introduced Greg Henry to good advantage. Killenaule were more than matching the Gaels and had three unanswered points, two from frees by Tony Doyle and a point from play by Gerry Kennedy. Thomas Fahy and Mark Russell with points had the Gaels ahead 2-9 to 0-5 at the end of the third quarter. Then a goal shot from Michael Doyle screamed wide, Tony Doyle pointed a free and after a fine combined move involving Stephen Hanigan and Declan Fanning. Thgen Shane Leonard brought off a marvellous save from Kieran Bergin. Timmy Byrnes added a point for the Gaels and following another Killenaule attack, Kevin Prendergast set up Paddy Codd for a well taken goal. The Gaels were leading with seven minutes remaining 2-11 to 1-6. Thomas Fahy pointed the Gaels further ahead before Michael Doyle was hauled down in the square and he cooly slotted home the resultant penalty. Michael Doyle then pointed, to leave the final score 2-12 to 2-7.

Aherlow Gaels; Shane Leonard;Mark O’Brien, Shane Russell, Ed O’Meaara;Sean Mullins, John Hennessy, Mark Hanley;Cathal Dillon, Thomas Fahy (0-3);Brendan Hanley, Bernard O’Brien (0-3, 1f), Laurence Coskeran;Mark Russell (1-2), Barry Sean Cunningham (1-0), Timmy Byrnes (0-3, 1f). Subs; Thomas Hanly for Bernard O’Brien, Anthoiny Leahy for Laurence Coskeran, Lenny Leahy for Brendan Hanly.

Killenaule; Michael Fitzgereald; Stephen Browne, Declan Fanning, Joe Ceaser ;Stephen Hannigan, Kieran Bergin, Daniel Guinan; Paddy Codd (1-0), Kevin Prendergast; Kenneth Browne, Tony Doyle (0-3f), Thomas Keaveney; Gerry Kennedy (0-1), Michael Doyle (1-2, 1-1f), John O’Dwyer (0-1). Subs; Damien McCormack for Thomas Keaveney, Greg Henry for Kevin Prendergast, Paul O’Dwyer for John O’Dwyer, Kevin Prendergast for Gerry Kennedy.

Referee; Derek O’Mahony.