Tipperary Co-Op West SHC
Second Half Cappawhite Cruise to Victory

Cappawhite 1-20

Cappawhite 1-20

Kickhams 0-14

Cappawhite dominated the second half of the Tipperary Co-Op Super Valu senior hurling championship game at Bansha on Saturday evening and won comfortably on a scoreline of 1-19 to 0-14,

It was a very different story at half-time as the sides went off the field after a closely-fought first half and the score standing at 1-8 to 0-11. At that stage the game was wide open and very much there for the taking. If there was any difference between the sides Cappawhite possibly had a slight edge having hit six wides to Kickhams three.

It was a totally different Kickhams side that reappeared after the interval. Normally pep talks inspire players to greater deeds but whatever was said in the Kickhams dressingroom had the opposite effect on the players.

Davy Butler opened the scoring with a Kickham point after three minutes and Jerry O’Neill replied for Cappawhite. After ten minutes Cappawhite had a slight advantage with four points to Kickhams three.

Then in the eleventh minute Cappawhite got what was to be the only goal in the game. There was some sloppy work in the Kickhams backline and Kevin Stapleton pounced to get a scrambled goal.

Kickhams responded very quickly with three points from Alan Horgan, Davy Butler and Dan Breen in a two-minute period. Niall Hayes had a point for Cappawhite to leave the score 1-5 to 0-6 at the end of the first quarter.

Kickhams had a bigger haul during the second quarter, scoring five points, three from frees by Alan Horgan, to Cappawhite’s three to leave the sides level at the break, 1-8 to 0-11.

The second-half was a totally different affair. Whether it was a transformed Cappawhite or a Kickhams side overcome by some malignant lethargy, the game changed direction.

Cappawhite hit eight points before Kickhams responded with an Alan Horgan point in the twelfth minute. Jim Carr added another for Cappawhite to put them in front by 1-17 to 0-12 entering the final quarter.

Kickhams plight was aggravated by the sending off of Patrick Ryan with a straight red card in the sixteenth minute. The referee, who had a fine game, consulted his umpires before making his decision.

The last quarter of the game was academic with Cappawhite easing on the gas and Kickhams demoralised by that stage. The winners added three points to Kickhams two to leave the final score 1-20 to 0-14 in Cappawhite’s favour.

After all the drama in the club this win was important for Cappawhite and sets them up as serious challengers in the division. They had some fine performances from Tom Treacy, Jim Carr, Ross Dunne, Eugene O’Neill, Kevin Stapleton and Michael Buckley.

Kickhams find themselves with no points after two games and Clonoulty to take on in their final game. They have a mountain to climb. Nigel Hayes, Davy Butler, Alan Horgan and Paul Breen tried hard.

Cappawhite: Franny Quinn, Ross Dunne, Thomas Costello, Ger Ryan (P), Sean Ryan (W), Michael Buckley (capt.), Tom Treacy (0-1), Mathew Kennedy (0-1), Jim Carr (0-2), Johnny Ryan (P), Eugene O’Neill (0-8), Niall Hayes (0-1), Michael O’Neill, Jerry O’Neill (0-6), Kevin Stapleton (1-1). Subs: Russell Quirke for Michael O’Neill, Donagh Heffernan for Niall Hayes, Matthew Ryan (W) for Michael Buckley.

Kickhams: Paddy Ryan, Johnny Ryan, Nigel Hayes, Paudie Hayes, Michael Heelan, Eoin Carew, Brian Horgan, Michael Shanahan, Patrick Ryan, Paul Breen (0-2), Dan Breen (0-1), David Butler (0-3), Patrick O’Brien, Alan Horgan (0-8), Aidan Heney. Sub: Derek Breen for Dan Breen.

Referee: Michael Hassett (Moycarkey-Borris)