Moyne overcome a game Borrisokane

Clean Ireland Recycling County Under-21B Hurling Final Moyne-Templetuohy Og 2-9 Borrisokane 0-9

Clean Ireland Recycling County Under-21B Hurling Final

Moyne-Templetuohy Og 2-9 Borrisokane 0-9

A stronger Moyne-Templetuohy Og side had enough staying power to overcome a game Borrisokane side in order to regain the Under-21B crown following a well contested final played in testing conditions at Moneygall last Sunday.

The 2011 winners put the issue beyond doubt when Paul Maher’s 57th minute sideline ball went all the way to the Borrisokane net giving his side a two-goal cushion. Borrisokane replied with an Eanna Dooley point, but when the game reached additional time the six point advantage was recovered thanks to a Tom Moloney point.

Wind and rain made hurling conditions difficult but Moyne Templetuohy Og never allowed the conditions to deter them. They faced a stiff diagonal breeze in the first half but took the game to their opponents. In a low-scoring opening quarter Jason Bergin scored after four minutes and his side held the lead until the 12th minute when Eanna Dooley levelled. Two more points from Bergin in the 15th and 18th minutes eased Moyne’s worries and they never lost the lead from there on.

On reaching half time they led 0-6 to 0-4. Seconds after the change over Borrisokane pulled one back through Eanna Dooley, but Moyne made life easy when Martin Kelly was on hand to fire home a goal to make it 1-6 to 0-5. However thoughts of a pull-away victory were quickly dispelled as a hard working Borris side led by their centre-back Shane Stapleton kept hanging on and they came within two points of the winners.

The rain had arrived making scoring opportunities low and when an unmarked Michael O’Meara took advantage from a quickly taken Paul Maher sideline ball, the three point cushion was welcome to the Mid champions. There were five minutes on the clock at that stage. Both sides would welcome a bit of luck and three minutes later it arrived in the shape of Paul Maher’s sideline ball which deceived Borris ‘keeper David Kennedy. Suddenly the lead had expanded to six. It was all over bar the shouting.

There were just two scores in the opening twelve minutes as both defences held the upperhand. Borrisokane defended the town goal helped by the assistance of a strong diagonal breeze. Jason Bergin had his side in front in the fourth minute.

In the 12th minute Eanna Dooley scored after a nice lay off by the supporting Paddy Gavin.

Another Bergin point edged Moyne ahead in the 14th minute and the same player doubled the lead four minutes later. Shane Dooley moved to full forward and took advantage with a nice point from twenty metres out.

However Moyne stormed back with Martin Kelly pointing two twenty metre frees. Borris received a boost when Shane Stapleton bisected the posts with a free. Peter McSherry followed up with a nice point in the 24th minute. Paul Maher steered over a sixty-metre free leaving the half-time score reading Moyne-Templetuohy Og 0-6 Borrisokane 0-4.

Eanna Dooley’s point just twenty seconds into the second half was encouraging for Borrisokane. However, Moyne-Templetuohy Og hit back with a 33rd minute goal. It arrived after Donnacha Dunne’s high ball from the midfield area fell kindly for Martin Kelly to turn for goal before first timing a ground shot past a helpless David Kennedy. In response Shane Dooley cut the deficit to three with a point from play.

Jason Bergin made no mistake to give the mid champions a 1-7 to 0-6 lead. A fine Peter McSherry strike plus Shane Dooley’s free helping bring Borris to within two of the Mid champions.

Dooley’s latest score arrived in the 47th minute as weather conditions worsened by the minute due to the increasingly heavy rain. Concentration was vital and Borris lost there’s when Michael O’Meara’s quick free across the field allowed an unmarked Paul Maher to pop over a vital point in the 55th minute. Two minutes later, Moyne won a sideline ball about forty metres out. Paul Maher took the free puck and the high ball dropped under the crossbar to deceive David Kennedy. It was cruel luck on the Borris net minder.

Borris refused to give in and Eanna Dooley replied with a 59th minute point but as the game continued one could sense that the margin of defeat was too much to haul back. Additional time had arrived and a more confident Moyne side increased their lead with a score from substitute Tom Moloney. The Mid men were safe having bridged a three year gap since Moyne-Templetuohy (on their own) defeated Portroe in the decider.

Moyne-Templetuohy Og: Cathal Sullivan; David Lowe, Robert Larkin, Eoin Ryan; James Moloney, Tossie Hamill, Pierce Meade; Donnacha Dunne, Tom Meade; Tony Cantwell, Paul Maher (1-1, 1-0 sideline, 1f), Michael O’Meara (0-1); Martin Kelly (captain, 1-2, 2f), Jason Bergin (0-4), Eddie Bourke. Subs: Tom Moloney (0-1) for Cantwell (45); Shane Ryan for Bourke (56).

Borrisokane: David Kennedy; Seamus Moriarty, Sean Brennan, Shane Nevin; Brian Dooley, Shane Stapleton (0-1, 1f), Andy Nevin; Brian Davis (Captain), Paddy Gavin; Ger Reddan, Peter McSherry (0-2), Gary Power; Eanna Dooley (0-3), Enda Brennan, Shane Dooley (0-3, 2f). Subs: Sean Harnett (n/r) for Power (55).

Referee: Willie Barrett (Ballybacon-Grange).