Back-to-back U21A titles for Kilruane

Walsh’s of Nenagh North Tipperary Under-21A Hurling Final

Walsh’s of Nenagh North Tipperary

Under-21A Hurling Final

Kilruane MacDonagh’s 0-20

Burgess 0-7

Holders, Kilruane outscored Burgess to win their twelfth Walsh’s of Nenagh North Tipperary Under-21 A Hurling final much easier than one had anticipated after the sides met in Dolla last Sunday afternoon.

Pre match favourites, Kilruane dominated the scoreboard and general play with a precision like display of first touch hurling and ability to take their scores. Just like their semi final win over Nenagh they wasted no time in taking charge as they went nine points to nil before Burgess opened their account in the d their opponents scoreless for the opening twenty seven minutes.

For now Kilruane had to contend with a more business like Burgess side who gathered a second point and reaching halftime it was 0-10 to 0-2.

As the second half got under way Kilruane had to meet a stronger Burgess side and six points was the nearest Burgess came. However the ability to create space, find a better placed comrade and find the target stood to the holders and Kilruane finished the stronger outscoring their opponents 0-6 to 0-1 in the final quarter.

There was plenty to admire in this performance with every member of the starting fifteen dominating their sector with powerful hurling coming from Eoin Williams, Niall O’Meara, Justin Cahill, Kieran Cahill, Eanna Hogan and Tomas Hogan.

Kilruane were four points up inside the opening seven minutes. Eoin Williams set the tone closely followed by two Niall O’Meara frees with Conor Cleary making it four. The closest Burgess came to scoring was a decisive run by Eoin Hogan had good written all over it but Jack Peters got is stick in to deny the full forward.

Two more Niall O’Meara scores and one from Justin Cahill stretched the lead to seven. Burgess switched peter Gill to centre forward and Daniel Ryan moved to the left wing. He was Burgess most dynamic but it was scores that mattered and two placed balls, (free and a sixty five) made it 0-9 to nil.

Eoin Hogan got Burgess on the scoresheet in the 27th minute. Conor Cleary replied but Hogan grabbed his second free bringing play to a halt at half time.

There was further evidence that Burgess would stage a comeback. Daniel Ryan enjoyed a good period with Jack O’Flaherty coming more into the play at midfield. Ryan scored inside thirteen seconds thanks to effort coming from substitute Pat Woods. Sixty seconds later, Eoin Hogan grabbed a great point from the left wing. The comeback looked real.

However it was a false dawn as Niall O’Meara’s free from halfway followed by a Justin Cahill score from play. Another Eoin free kept Burgess in touch but Kilruane always had an answer and from the next puckout came another Niall O’Meara point and he added a free.

Burgess refused to give up. Daniel Ryan ventured towards the end line but was tackled by Stephen Cleary and the ball drifted wide.

Back came Kilruane and three points in as many minutes from Thomas Cleary, Eoin Williams and a close in free from O’Meara made it 0-17 to 0-5. Four minutes from time, John O’Dwyer – who moved to midfield at the beginning of the second half- had fired many frees with distance and eventually he managed to get a deserved score from halfway. As the game was all but over awarding frees were common currency and Niall O’Meara and Hogan swapped scores with four minutes to go. The game was well gone as a contest but it finished on a high note for Conor Cleary who grabbed two late points to pull the curtain down on the game.


Kilruane – N O’Meara 0-10 (0-8f 0-1’65); C Cleary 0-4; E Williams and J Cahill 0-2 each; R Austin and T Cleary 0-1 each.

Burgess- E Hogan 0-5 (0-4f); D Ryan 0-1; J O’Dwyer 0-1 (free).

Kilruane MacDonagh’s: David Reddan; Stephen Cleary, Eanna Hogan, Jack Peters; Tomas Hogan, Kieran Cahill, Conor Austin; Justin Cahill, Alan Darcy; Tomas Cleary, Niall O’Meara, Conor Cleary; Robert Austin, Eoin Williams, David Williams. Subs: Aidan Boyle (n/r) for A Darcy [inj] (38); David Mooney for R Austin (58).

Burgess: Brian Sherlock; William Ryan, John O’Dwyer, Tomas Walsh; Peter Gill, Michael O’ Flaherty, Bill O’ Flaherty; Kieran Ryan, Jack O’Flaherty; Tadgh O’Halloran, Daniel Ryan, J P Grace; Paudie Gill, Eoin Hogan, Andy Dunne.  

Subs: Tony Hogan for Dunne (h/t); Vincent Kearns for O’Halloran [inj] (45); Tony Gleeson for P Gill (48).

Referee: Michael Murphy (Toomevara).