Cashel Cllr Tom Wood has been told a number of issues need to be addressed before overcrowding can be eased at South Tipperary General Hospital (STGH) in Clonmel.
At the September meeting of the Regional Health Forum held in Cork last Thursday Cllr Tom Wood tabled an official question asking to urgently address overcowding.
He requested that “the 40-bed Modular Unit, at an estimated weekly cost of €60,000 and regarded as an interm solution to relieve the trolly situation at South Tipperary General Hospital - be in place before the onset of winter as expected by the Consultants who met with Minister Harris earlier this summer.”
In a written response he was advised: “Currently STGH is working with the HSE procurement and HSE Estates on a number of options to address the capacity issue in the hospital.
“This includes assessments of cost benefit analysis, procurement issues, planning and construction issues in relation to the options identified.
“Following appraisal the most suitable option is likely to proceed. In parallel the HSE is currently examining the patient hotel type service. At present it is unlikely that this 40 bed modular unit will be in place at the onset of winter. However work regarding all options is currently in progress.”
In responding to the reply, Councillor Wood said that while numerous options are being considered, Hospital Consultants and Oireachtas members are convinced that the modular unit was going to be built following discussions last June with Minister Harris.
He understood the Health Minister was due a visit Clonmel soon and it was expected that he would be the bearer of good news. When asked by Councillor Wood what the projected capital cost of such a unit would be and if it was presently budgeted for,
Mr Gerry O Dwyer, CEO, said that while it was too early yet to know what the overall cost would be, money for such a project was included in the winter programme.