02 Dec 2021

Ideas sought for renewal of Thurles Town

Ideas sought for renewal of Thurles Town

Refresh Thurles will host a meeting on Thursday Nov 3rd at 8pm in Hayes Hotel  seeking ideas for the Town & Village Renewal Scheme.

Tipperary County Council is currently making a list and  and would like ideas by November 11th.

This scheme is operated by the Department of Arts Heritage Regional Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs – it is expected to be funded for the next 5 years.  The Department will fund projects to 85% level with the Local authority and/or local businesses community groups providing the remaining 15%. 

The Council are to be commended for the approach of creating a wish list – these ideas can be refined, prioritised and assessed to see how they fit in with Local Development Plans. The Council wishes to have ideas ready to submit to the Department when applications open in early 2017 and in each subsequent year.

  The Council are making a paper list and a strategic list for Tipperary and would like ideas by November 11th.  Tidy Towns Groups and Community Groups have been invited to submit ideas.  To this end Refresh Thurles will host a meeting on Thursday Nov 3rd at 8pm in Hayes Hotel.  We had identified some priorities for the coming year, namely building a welcoming feature at Turtulla Bridge, updating the signage on approach roads, providing seating, having a Mural, creating some wildflower gardens around town and on Jimmy Doyle Bridge.  There is now an opportunity to identify other ideas – art works, a River Walk from Thurles to Loughmore, work on the Castles?

What would you like to see for Thurles?

However, the overall intention of the funding is to:

increase the attractiveness of the town or village as a local commercial and social centre, and as a result increase its sustainability as a place in which to live and work; 

enhance the towns/village environment and amenities in the interests of residents, businesses,  and visitors;

promote the town/village’s potential for tourism and as a centre for culture and local heritage, thus enhancing the sense of identity - physically and socially.”

The document is Town and Village Renewal Scheme and queries can be sent to  The Tipperary list is being compiled by the Economic Development Unit of Tipperary County Council.

Please think about an idea for Thurles that would meet any of the above intentions – attend the meeting if possible but if not please send you idea to or message our Facebook page RefreshThurles or tel 087 270 1689.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.