Clonmel Union of Church of Ireland Parishes (St.Paul’s Cahir, Holy Trinity Fethard, St Patrick’s Inishlounaght, Tullameelan and Old St Mary’s Clonmel) will be running an Auction at Larry O’Keeffe’s store on Davis Road, Clonmel at 2pm on Sunday, November 11 as a major fundraising project. Viewing from 10-6pm Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 from 10am until the Auction.
The proceeds from the auction will be used to help maintain these five fine Churches which are an important part of South Tipperary’s History.
Old St Mary’s Church is Clonmel’s oldest building and was constructed on the orders of William de Burgo before 1204. Under its floor lies are the remains of a Norman knight in full armour. There is an 84 ft. high square bell tower and ornate 16 th century East and West windows. The famous walls of Clonmel form two sides of the churchyard boundary.
Holy Trinity, Fethard was built by the Augustinians in the 13th century. The church grounds contain the medieval remains of the original chancel, chapel and aisle. The current 15th century structure contains the oldest complete and longest oak roof in Ireland dating from about 1489, four years before Columbus discovered America.
St Patrick’s, Inishlounaght was built and designed by Thomas Tinsley in 1818 on the site of a 12th century Cistercian Abbey church. Tinsley also worked on St Pauls Cahir and his son Thomas went on to design North Western University in Cincinatti,Ohio. Its most notable feature is the incorporation of the Hiberno-Romanesque doorway from the original church in the west wall.
Tullameelan Church was the estate church of the Earls of Donoughmore and was built between 1791-1813. The front of the altar is decorated with three wooden statues of our Lord, St Peter & St John. The organ was originally in Knocklofty House.
St Paul’s, Cahir was commenced by architect John Nash in 1804 and consecrated in 1820 by Richard Bourke, Bishop of Waterford and Lismore. St.Paul’s is one of five churches designed by John Nash, the famous Regency Architect of Buckingham Palace and the Royal pavilion in Brighton. The church’s main features are the beautiful plasterwork ceiling and carved pine box-pews.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.