With a deadline for the recruitment of seven senior registrar posts at South Tipperary fast approaching, the Minister for Health has been asked to act immediately.
Deputy Mattie McGrath has called on Minister James Reilly to act on assurances he gave him in the Dáil last week regarding the posts.
Deputy McGrath said the posts had to be filled as a matter of urgency and he pleaded with the Minister to makea move before the July 8 deadlline expires.
“These are senior positions for real decision-makers working under consultants. These are vital posts but the hospital and regional management seem to be unable to recruit people to fill them. We do not have anything like a full complement of staff, being short of five registrars. We will be short of the full seven by 8 July 2013. It is a serious situation. I hope it is not a question of sabotage and that we will not be closed by stealth or through something happening behind the scenes. The Minister gave a commitment to keep our hospital. These positions must be filled. I demand that these posts be filled, even temporarily, with registrars from Cork, Limerick and other hospitals in the group to maintain vital services and safety” he said.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.