Independent Tipperary TD Mattir McGrath has expressed his support for the 31 production staff at C&C Gleeson in Borrisoleigh who are earmarked to lose their jobs.
The staff of over 100 were called to a meeting in The Ragg on Thursday where they were given the news, which, while devastating for the workers and the local economy in Borrisolegh, was not entirely unexpected as there had been speculation surrounding the plant for the past while.
“This is devastating news for the workers and their families as they prepare to face what is going to be a very challenging time ahead. Since I attended the C&C AGM at the start of last month there has been growing uncertainty around the entire C&C operation in Tipperary, both at the Gleeson plant and at the Bulmers site in Clonmel,” he said.
Deputy McGrath said that it now must be made clear by CEO Stephen Glancy if the loss of the supermarket contracts which precipitated this week’s job losses was going to have a knock-on effect in Clonmel.
“I am calling for the immediate intervention of the Minister for Social Protection to ensure that, like the Cleary’s workers in Dublin, all necessary assistance is given to the affected workers in Borrisoleigh, given the proportionate impact of the job losses for the area,” he said.
The Tipperary TD siad that beyond this there must be a real and meaningful clarification given around the viability and commitment of the C&C Group to its entire workforce within the county.
“The remaining workers and their families deserve nothing less given that, quite frankly, it is extremely frustrating at this point for everyone involved to have to repeatedly seek such assurances,” said Deputy McGrath.
In a statement, the company said: “C&C Gleeson confirms that it has engaged with employees regarding the potential reduction of up to 31 roles from our manufacturing site in Borrisoleigh. These proposed changes are a result of the volume loss suffered in our private label manufacturing. Unfortunately, we must realign our fixed cost base to meet the volume level at the Borrisoleigh site.
“Collective consultation with affected employees has been initiated and while these are necessary changes for our business, we recognise that this is an unsettling time for those affected. We also recognise the hard work and commitment our employees have shown over the last year as we have evolved into a brand led multi beverage business model in Ireland. Although trading conditions have been difficult, we remain confident in our position and business model in these core markets.
“Our priority now is to minimise the impact to our people and to minimise disruption to the business and our customers.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.