Cashel seconds lose in Cork but losing bonus point could be crucial

UCC 23 Cashel 17

UCC 23 Cashel 17

Cashel Senior Seconds travelled to Cork on Saturday last to play UCC in the Munster Senior Seconds League at Curraheen.

Played in good conditions it ended in disappointment for Cashel but not without a good battle.

UCC started well but Cashel responded and gradually gained field position. On the quarter hour after a good attacking spell by the forwards, Conor Quinlan dropped a neat goal to put them ahead. UCC responded but missed two penalties on the 20th and 24th minute.

However a minute later a sweeping backs movement resulted in a fine try for UCC in the corner which their out half converted.

Once again Cashel responded and put pressure on the UCC defence inside their 22. Fate then played a part. The UCC out half kicked the ball into touch on the UCC 22 but it hit an over hanging tree (that side of the field is lined with large over hanging trees) and squirted back onto the field of play and down to the Cashel 22 where pressure was put on the Cashel defender who put the ball into touch.

UCC got and won the lineout and scored a try which they converted to go 14-3 ahead. The referee was not aware that the trees are out of play.

On the stroke of half time UCC went 17-3 ahead with another penalty. The score did not truly reflect the Cashel effort in the first half as the scrum and lineout were good. A few mistakes were costly.

The second half would be important for both teams. Cashel upped the pace and the forwards began the exert pressure on the larger UCC pack. After 7 minutes following a very good scrum the UCC pack was driven back and Kieran Murphy touched down for a try. Conor Quinlan converted.

The game continued at a good pace. On 50 minutes the UCC out half kicked a penalty and followed up 14 minutes later with a fine drop goal. The game had drifted away from Cashel at this stage but they continued to press forward.

The pick of the backs were Darren McGrath, Conor Quinlan and Alan O’Donnell. Up front Ian Stanley, Michael Kelly, Cormack O’Donnell, Niall Fitzgerald and particularly Kieran Murphy were excellent - Murphy was one of the best forwards on view. He carried ball right through the game and it was fitting that he got Cashel’s and his own second try of the game when he dived over on the 80th minute. Conor Quinlan converted to bring the final score to 23-17. It resulted in a losing bonus point for Cashel which keeps them in the hunt for a quarter final place.

Cashel: I Stanley, T Flynn, M Kelly, K Gleeson, A Dwyer, N Fitzgerald, A O’Connor, K Murphy, D McGrath, C Quinlan, A O’Donnell, R Mullane, S Walsh, A Wallace, Ger O’Sullivan, C O’Donnell, K Sweeney, D Davern, R Thornton.

We congratulate Ed Kelly, a product of the Cashel under age academy and Rockwell College, who played for the Ireland Clubs Team against England at Templehill Cork on Friday night. Ed now plays with UL Bohemians where he is captain. He is a brother of Cashel players Michael and James. It was a proud night for Ed and his family and we know his parents Tom and Anne are very proud of him. Ed had a fine game and Ireland beat England 30-20.

Cashel thirds played a very competitive and entertaining friendly game with Fethard on Saturday night at Spafield. It resulted in a 17-5 win for Cashel who had tries from PJ Freaney and Fergal McCormack, a conversion by John Prior and a conversion and drop goal from veteran Dermot O’Brien.