Great team effort sees impressive Kilfeacle win again

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 32

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 32

Newcastle West R.F.C. 8

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. cemented their position in the league on Sunday with a win at home against newly promoted Newcastle West RFC. Within the first five minutes, with the strong breeze at their backs, Newcastle West had declared their intent and their very sizeable pack were causing Kilfeacle’s forwards, Simon Barry, James Ryan, Diarmuid O’Donnell, Sean Compton, Cormac O’Donoghue, Ger Luby (Pack Leader), Leon Tholand, Alan O’Mahony, James Mullane and Ricky Barry, loads of problems.

Kilfeacle looked shell-shocked and Newcastle West looked menacing. In the 11th minute Newcastle West were awarded a penalty almost on the halfway line. The subsequent attempt had the distance but not the accuracy. This close miss coupled with the realisation that unless Kilfeacle raised their game that they could be on the wrong side of a bad, bad result finally sunk in and Kilfeacle began to perform better.

With 18 minutes gone Kilfeacle, after some fine teamwork, saw themselves camped outside their opponents 22, however once again they lost possession and the opposing out-half went to clear his lines and Kilfeacle would lose the ground they had so bravely gained. Cometh the man cometh the hour, Packie Bourke, who was in sparkling form on the day, led by example and first blocked down the attempted clearance and secondly touched it down under the posts. This try was converted by Shane Luby to bring the score to 7-0 which was also the half time score.

Newcastle West started the second half in the manner in which they started the first and a well worked lineout and subsequent rolling maul saw them awarded a penalty which they converted to reduce the deficit to just 4 points after just three minutes. Kilfeacle bounced straight back and went on the offensive but were not having it all their own way.

After 5 minute Cormac O’Donoghue intercepted a pass and 30 yard surge for the line to touch down to heap more woe on a gallant Newcastle West side. This was to be captain Shane Luby’s day with the boot as he watched this conversion sail over followed by two more very impressive penalty kicks in the 12th and 15th minutes to leave the score 18-3.

What was great to see in this game from a Kilfeacle point of view was the way the team and individuals grew as the game progressed, and the backs Shane Luby, Gavin Heuston, Brian Nugent, Diarmuid Carr, Pat Ryan, Josh Featherstone, Packie Bourke, Keith Bourke and Aidan Noonan grew in confidence. Kilfeacle weren’t finished yet and once again, the brothers Ger and Shane Luby led the way to present the evergreen Alan O’Mahony with the opportunity to finish off an excellent team effort which Shane Luby converted.

Newcastle West were under severe pressure and defending well but Kilfeacle went further ahead after a well-worked passing move saw an impressive Pat Ryan finish in style, having seen an earlier try disallowed for a foot in touch. The conversion attempt from the boot of Shane Luby was on the mark. The score line now read 32-3 and the bonus point was in the bag. When yet another of Kilfeacle’s attacks broke down with only seconds remaining, no one expected Newcastle West to run the ball. It was a brave decision and ultimately the right one. They caught the opposition off guard and never allowed them time to reset their defence before they went over for a try. The conversion kick was successful. Our next outing is away in the league against Waterpark RFC on Sunday, November 4 at 2.30pm.

Seconds draw with Galbally

Galbally 3

Kilfeacle and District 3

The seconds team were called into competitive action this weekend away to Galbally. Recent games and performances have been of great benefit to the team and they continues to make steady improvement. Kilfeacle were delighted with the attitude and endeavour displayed by our players on the day. Recent encounters between these sides have all been close with either team capable of winning.

The game was played with great spirit, commitment and at a fantastic pace, with a lot of free flowing moves and running of the ball. The homeside owned the ball for large portions of the game and Kilfeacle were defending constantly but they defended well. Both teams showed their intent and how important the game was to them by the manner in which they approached the game. Selectors and the backroom staff were buoyed by many of the performances on the day.

Aidan Gennery said - “Some of the first choice players, on the first team, should be aware that there is a wealth of upcoming talent in the club and these players are starting to push for places on the first team”.

Training still going strong.

We are delighted to announce that the training for the underage/younger teams continues every Friday. If you missed last week’s training do not fear as the place to be is Morrissey Park, Kilfeacle, every Friday night. If you enjoy team sports in healthy surroundings with experienced coaches, great facilities and loads of fun then Morrissey Park is the place to be Friday nights!!