Cashel come from behind to beat Old Crescent for second time in two weeks

Cashel 29

Cashel 29

Old Crescent 16

For the second time in two weeks Cashel lined out against Old Crescent at Spafield, this time in the All Ireland League.

As happened two weeks ago Cashel had to come from behind to beat these gallant opponents.

Conditions were excellent and the sun shone. Cashel drew first blood with a penalty after 4 minutes when Pat O’Connor converted. However from then until half time Crescent were the better team. They dominated up front and took the game to Cashel. On 10 minutes they dropped a goal and two minutes later they scored a fine converted try caused by poor defending by Cashel. On the 15th minute Pat O’Connor kicked another penalty but Crescent had one of their own on the 20th minute. Crescent were dominant at this stage and Cashel were finding it difficult to get into the game.

Pat O’Connor kicked another penalty on the half hour and five minutes later after some good forward pressure Emmett Hall scored a try which O’Connor converted. On the stroke of half time Crescent dropped another goal.Half time score Cashel 16 Old Crescent 16.

A different Cashel team came out after half time. The uncertainty was gone and they started to run the ball. The forwards got on top and they forced their way into the Crescent half. After 2 minutes O’Connor kicked a penalty to put Cashel ahead again. At this stage they were playing great rugby with the forwards gaining the hard yards and the ball going from side to side. When this team is in full flow they are a joy to watch.

On the 60th minute Brendan O’Connor, Sean Walsh, Cian O’Donnell and Philly Ryan carried deep into Crescent territory. Scrum Half Michael Hickey fed Conor Quinlan to Brian Silke who drew his man to put Rory O’Connor in for a try in the corner. Rory showed a good turn of pace to get there.

Cashel were now on top and they went to seal the win. On the 70th minute after some excellent forward play Brendan O’Connor drove over the line for a great forwards try. Crescent did not give in and attacked the Cashel line again. The defense held solid with Brian Silke putting in a try saving tackle in the corner. This was the last score of the game.

It was a tough hard game played in a good spirit. Cashel can be happy with the win but they there will be many more tough battles before the season is over. So far this team is not out of its depth in this division.

Cashel: H Stanley, M Kelly, D Lambe, S Walsh, R Ryan, E Leamy, J E O’Connor, B O’Connor, A Kelleher, C Quinlan, R O’Connor, B Silke, G Boland, K Leamy, P O’Connor, E Hall, C O’Donnell, A Downey, M Hickey, R Mullane.

Munster Senior 
Seconds League

Cashel 10

Cork Con 15

Cashel fielded three teams last weekend and this was the only one to lose but they did put in the best performance of them all against last year’s Senior Seconds League Champions, Cork Constiution. Played in Con’s own back yard the game was teak tough from start to finish. Cashel played with a strong breeze in the first half. The game went from end to end with both sides giving it their all. Some slack defending allowed Con in for a try after 10 minutes to put them 7 points ahead.

Both sides had penalty chances but missed. On the half hour Andrew Wallace caught a ball on half way. His kick ahead was followed by the dynamic Cian O’Donnell who, when tackled, offloaded to Pat O’Connor who scored under the posts. Ollie McGilnchey con-verted and Cashel were level.

A feature of the game was the penalty count particularly against Cashel. Two minutes before half time Con kicked a penalty and led at half time 10-7. Cashel faced the breeze in the second half but put in a thunderous performance. They defended brilliantly and attacked at every opportunity. They were rewarded on the 62nd minute when Alan Downey made a break into the Con half. He offloaded to Darren McGrath who made another 25 yards They were awarded a penalty and Ollie McGlincey levelled the game at 10 points each.

This team really stood up to everything Con threw at them. Deep in injury time they were on the Con 22 when Con robbed the ball. It was kicked to touch but the referee called play back and awarded Con a penalty which they kicked deep into the Cashel half with the aid of a strong wind. Con won the lineout on the Cashel 22 but Cashel defended and looked as if they would hold out. However it was not to be. Con were awarded aother penalty for a high tackle on the 22. They took a quick one and drove to the corner. The ball carrier was tackled short of the line but at his second attempt got the ball over the line.and a try was awarded. This put Con 15-10 ahead.

There was one more play and Cashel once again drove deep into Con territory. They were almost over put they could not get the try they needed. It was a cruel defeat for Cashel but they did get a valuable losing bonus point and did put in a wonderful performance. They play UCC in Spafield on Sunday next and deserve all the support we can give.

Cashel: E Hall, C O’Donnell, I Stanley, K Gleeson, A Dwyer, P Maher, K Murphy, A Downey, D McGrath,, O McGlinchey, M O’Connor, C Morrissey, A Wallace, P O’Connor, R Mullane, T Flynn, C O’Donnell, K Sweeney, R Thornton, J McGinley .

Junior 2 League

Cashel 36 Dungarvan 12

Cashel’s 3rd team started out on their league journey on Sunday with a convincing win over Dungarvan at Spafield. They fielded a blend of youth and experience and were most impressive. They play Waterford City away on Sunday next.