Kilfeacle too good for Clan in absorbing derby

Clanwilliam F.C. 0

Clanwilliam F.C. 0

Kilfeacle and District R.F.C. 15

Kilfeacle beat Clanwilliam 15-0 away to qualify for the Garryowen Cup final

Kilfeacle were having the better of the early play and were in the ascendency and were pushing for the break through that finally came in the 19th minute. Forwards Simon Barry, David Farrell, Stevie Flood (Vice-Captain), Sean McGrath, Diarmuid O’Donnell, Ger Luby (Pack Leader), Leon Tholand, Sean Compton, Alan O’Mahony, Jack Sullivan and Ricky Barry earned their team a foothold in the game and created the space for the hooker Sean Compton to sprint the last 5 metres in a run that eluded the last defenders and touch the ball down for a try. From an acute angle Shane Luby saw his conversion miss its target.

From the restart Clanwilliam won a penalty which they were unlucky to miss. Clanwilliam ended the half on the offensive but were unable to convert their possession to scores, in fact if Clanwilliam had been able to convert the scoring chances they created in the half they would not have finished the half with a five point deficit but with a sizable lead.

Winning by 5 points to 0 and with the advantage of the breeze in the second half, the Kilfeacle squad knew that their discipline and hard work during the first half had now presented them with a realistic chance of achieving a win. Although trailing by 5 points at half time Clanwilliam were still very much in the tie and were still matching their opponents stride for stride. The Kilfeacle supporters were hopeful that they would see more of Cathal Donovan, Shane Luby, Charles Walshe, Diarmuid Carr, Pat Ryan, Josh Featherstone, Darren Lowry and Packie Burke as an attacking force in the second half. They hadn’t long to wait. Whatever was said to the Kilfeacle squad during the halftime interval worked and the team started the second half with renewed gusto. However it was the home side who had the first scoring opportunity with a penalty which they narrowly missed.

With 14 minutes of the second half gone, Shane Luby kicked a fine penalty and Kilfeacle now had an 8 point lead. Luby was playing the Captain’s part with aplomb and leading by example, when he blocked down an attempted clearance kick and won the race to touch the ball down for a try. He saw his conversion sail over the bar and Kilfeacle now had a 15 point lead.

The next 5 minutes were cagey, as both teams knew that the next score was vital. Both teams built good phase play but the defences on both sides held tough. The Clanwilliam team now knew that their position was a desperate one and they summonsed every ounce and mounted an inspirational assault on the Kilfeacle line and earned themselves penalty after penalty which they either ran, kicked for touch or scrummed down. However, try as they might Clanwilliam’s best offensive endeavours fell short on the day as they met with a stubborn Kilfeacle defence that would not bow down and concede an inch. This win came at a price with some injuries sustained during this bruising yet sporting encounter. Vice Captain Stevie Flood sustained a broken bone in his ankle which will see him sidelined for a considerable length of time. This is a big loss to the team as Stevie has been a loyal and constant servant to the club and his presence and leadership will be missed both on the pitch and in the dressing room. We wish Stevie a quick recovery and look forward to seeing him don the blue again in the near future.

There are some stern tests on the horizon for the side, none more than the first round of the Challenge Cup against Richmond at home on Sunday, September 16 at 2.30pm. This promises to be a very exciting and challenging game as Richmond, last year’s league winners, have added to their squad and are chasing senior status.

Seconds training returns

Seconds training resumes at Morrissey Park, (the Hill), in Kilfeacle on Friday, September 14.

Congratulations to one of our own Óisín O’Mara.

Munster started their Under 19 Interprovincial campaign with a hard earned victory over Ulster at Ravenhill. The committee and members of Kilfeacle and District RFC are delighted that one of our own, Óisín O’Mara, made the starting 15 for the game and would like to congratulate him and wish him the very best for the future.