Super Platt strike secures first win for Vee Rovers


A goal after eight minutes proved decisive as Vee Rovers secured their first win of the League Division 3 campaign whilst inflicting the first defeat of the season on leaders Redmondstown in Clogheen last Sunday.

Vee Rovers applied the early pressure and top striker Chris Platt was left unmarked on the edge of the Redmondstown box and let fly an unstoppable half volley into the corner of the net. After that early setback Redmondstown gained the upper hand, but despite having plenty of possession never really threatened the Vee Rovers goal. When it did happen, every Clogheen player was willing to put his body on the line to secure that important first victory to kick-start their league campaign.

Clerihan recover from two down to earn a point


Clonmel Celtic B had to make do with a point after sharing six goals with Clerihan in an entertaining League Division 3 game at Celtic Park, Clonmel last Sunday.

Clonmel Celtic B started well and were rewarded when Simon Aherne put them ahead on 12 minutes. However, Clerihan fought back and were level on 26 minutes with a goal from Leo Curtin. Celtic responded well and enjoyed their best period of the game and goals from Paul Kelly and Shane Norris put them into a commanding lead 3-1 lead. Unfortunately for Celtic, they could not maintain that two-goal lead as an unfortunate own goal brought Clerihan right back into the game as the half finished with Clonmel Celtic B 3-2 ahead.

Clonmel Celtic B battled hard in the second half looking for that elusive first win of the season with young Graham Kelly and Stephen O’Keeffe particularly impressive. Nevertheless, Celtic failed to withstand Clerihan’s endless pressure, which saw Alan Campbell scoring an equaliser that in the end left both having to settle for a point apiece.

Landers hits the winner for Ballypatrick.

Paul Landers’ strike seals it



Ballypatrick FC secured their second win in League Division 3 coming from behind to defeat Burncourt Celtic by the odd goal in three under the foot of overcast Slievenamon last Sunday.

In an entertaining contest Burncourt on the half hour drew first blood when an attack down the middle found Patrick Ryan whose great strike from 20 yards beat Ballypatrick keeper Mark O’Brien. But the Burncourt celebration were short lined because only one minute later Ballypatrick were back on level terms when James Geraghty crossed into the danger zone to find Barry Kiely who rattled the back of the Burncourt net to make it 1-1 at half-time. Ballypatrick came out with all guns blazing putting Burncourt under fierce pressure with Phillip Maunsell and Alan O’Reilly crosses putting the visitors defence to the test.

Ballypatrick’s good play paid off on 62 minutes when Stephen O’Reilly, Niall Walsh, Brian Landers and Barry Kiely combined to find Paul Landers who took a superb first time shot into the bottom right of the goal to give Ballypatrick the lead for the first time. Burncourt tried in vain to get an equaliser as Ballypatrick held on for the all-important three points.