Bansha fightback just falls short against surprise packet Galbally

Clonmel Credit Union Tipperary Cup 1st Round

Clonmel Credit Union Tipperary Cup 1st Round



First Division Galbally United caused an upset in the Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round after overcoming Premier League Bansha Celtic by the odd goal in five at Celtic Park, Bansha Celtic last Sunday.

Bansha Celtic, who are struggling to kick-start their new season since promotion back to the top flight, were facing an uphill battle from as early as the 10th minute when Celtic failed to clear their lines allowing Ciaran O’Callaghan of Galbally toe-poke the ball home from close range following a corner-kick. That was an early setback for Bansha who failed to draw level before the break.

The second half was only five minute old when Galbally made it 2-0. Again it was Ciaran O’Callaghan who scored, lobbing the ball over the keeper from 10 yards. Things got even worse for Bansha on the hour when Jimmy Barry Murphy deflected an attempted clearance from the Bansha ‘keeper back into the net to make it 3-0. Bansha to their credit never dropped their heads and pulled a goal back on 75 minutes when a Brendan McGrath shot from 12 yards beat the keeper to his right. It looked like Bansha might pull this tie out of the fire when James O’Leary scored from the penalty spot in the 90 minute but it was too little too late to save the day.

Slattery hat-tricks sees Cashel Town home after extra time



(After Extra-time)

Premier League Cashel Town had to rely on their ‘get out of jail card’ before eventually overcoming First Division St. Nicholas in extra-time in this Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round at the Community School Field, Cashel last Sunday.

Cashel with the aid of a very strong wind in the first half went ahead in the 16th minute when David Slattery converted from the penalty spot. Cashel failed to add to their goal tally and were lucky not to concede an equaliser as St. Nicholas pushed forward at every opportunity but the home side remained 1-0 to the good at the break.

Within minutes of the restart St. Nicholas made use of the strong wind scoring directly from a corner-kick through Eoin Riordan. St Nicholas were now really putting Cashel under severe pressure and on 58 minutes, Eoin Riordan scored again to put the Solohead side 2-1 in front.  It was looking like Cashel were facing an early exit when against the run of play on 88 minutes David Slattery came to Cashel’s rescue with a good header at the far post to add his second of the day to put the home side level at 2-2 and force 20 minutes extra-time.

Cashel started to make their extra bit of class tell as David Slattery completed his hat-trick with another spot-kick after 6 minutes of extra-time. Shane Stapleton made it 4-2 just after the second half of extra time with a close range after a good counter attack. St. Nicholas were awarded a penalty close to the end, but Phillip Doherty made a great save to deny his opposite number Mark Lowry.

Town overcome Kilbehenny with some ease



Premier League Clonmel Town progressed to the next round of the Tipperary Challenge Cup with a comfortable win against Fourth Division bottom side Kilbehenny Celtic at Cashel Road Complex, Clonmel last Sunday.

In this David and Goliath battle the outcome was never going to be in doubt as Clonmel Town who were on top in the first half were applying constant pressure on the North Cork outfit. It saw Town missing some good chances and Kilbehenny clearing the ball off the line on several occasions. Nevertheless it was not until the last five minutes of the half that David McGrath broke the deadlock when he finished from close range. Then just two minutes later, Barry Ryan slid the ball home from close range to give Clonmel Town a 2-0 interval cushion. 

Kilbehenny to their credit never dropped their heads and kept playing football and it was not until the 74th minute that Town made it 3-0 thanks to a penalty from goalkeeper Evan Comerford. Despite going 3-0 down Kilbehenny continued to threaten their more illustrious opponents goal and were rewarded for their endeavours when Denis O’Dwyer scored in the 77th minute. However, in the 84th minute, Levi Whelan slammed home Clonmel Town’s fourth to book their ticket into the next round.

Buckley bullet enough for Saints ‘B’ in extra time

St. Michael’s advance after extra-time



(After extra-time)

St. Michael’s B had to rely on extra-time before eventually seeing off fellow Second Division outfit Kilsheelan United in this Tipperary Challenge Cup opening round at the Ormonde Stores, Kilsheelan last Sunday.

Former winners St. Michael’s B got the breakthrough after 16 minutes when Kilsheelan failed to clear their lines allowing Ollie O’Driscoll pounce on a loose ball and dispatch it to the net. Despite taking that early lead, St. Michael’s were pinned back inside their own half and were grateful to retain that slender advantage at the halfway stage.

St. Michael’s Reserves regained the upper hand on the resumption and it took a number of important saves from Kilsheelan United’s ‘keeper Keith Madigan to keep the minimum between the sides. Then like a bolt out of the blue, Kilsheelan United restored parity after 75 minutes when Stephen Cloona managed to steer the ball home in a goalmouth scramble. With neither side able to secure a winner it was to take another twenty minutes extra-time to decide the outcome.

Just before the end of the opening period of extra-time, St. Michael’s B regained the lead. A Dave Buckley unstoppable strike from 25 yards left the Kilsheelan ‘keeper rooted to the spot. Kilsheelan tried hard to force a penalty shoot-out in the second period of extra-time, but St. Michael’s B held on to join their ‘A’ team in the next round