Rosegreen twice come from behind to win

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2



Rosegreen Rangers came from behind to open up their League Division 2 account on a positive note overcoming the ten men from Killusty at the foot of Slivenamon last Sunday.

The game was less than a minute old when newly promoted Killusty got the breakthrough. A cross from Tom Conway was finished to the net by Shane Alyward. Rosegreen recovered from that early setback with Darragh Browne restoring parity after 12 minutes. Killusty had a player sent off in the 25th minute, but restored their lead from the penalty spot just two minutes later with Karl Maher dispatching the ball home. It was from another penalty that Rosegreen again drew level with Trevor Downey scoring just before the break to leave it at 2-2.

The second half was just a minute old when Rosegreen took the lead for the first time at 3-2 thanks to David Burke. Although the ten men of Killusty managed to hold out until 86th minute when their numerical disadvantage was badly exposed and Eoin Byrne made it 4-2 to the visitors. Rosegreen wrapped up the three points with Ian Collins scoring their fifth goal in the dying seconds.

Kilsheelan in 
seventh heaven



Kilsheelan United were in seventh heaven opening up their League Division 2 campaign in spectacular form hitting a depleted Kilmanahan United side for seven at the Co. Waterford/Tipperary venue last Sunday.

Kilsheelan United broke the deadlock from a Michael McHugh penalty after 15 minutes, but it was short lived with Kilmanahan United drawing level at 1-1 after 20 minutes through Andy Hickey. McHugh restored Kilsheelan United’s lead in the 35th minute, before Ross Larkin made it 3-1 just before the break.

Kilsheelan took control and made it 4-1 in the 50th minute through Jamie Cronin and Ross Larkin then made it 5-1 shortly after the hour mark. Kilsheelan United added further goals from a Conor Murphy deflected shot in the 70th minute, before Kevin Gunne fired a low shot into the corner of the net with five minutes remaining to complete the rout.

Tipperary Town lose 3-0 lead and are denied historic win



Newly promoted Tipperary Town blew their chance of an historic opening day victory on their debut in League Division 2 blowing a 3-0 half-time lead as the ten men of Clonmel Town B salvaged a share of the spoils in this game played at the VEC Grounds, Tipp town last Sunday.

Tipperary Town who has won promotion every season since their foundation in 2009 looked well in control of proceeding as they scored their first goal at this level after just four minutes. Stephen Quinn had the honour heading home a Mark Flannery centre. It was 2-0 to Tipperary after 24 minutes when good approach work ended with top striker Michael Ellard ending the move. Tipperary Town had a let-off after 32 minutes when Clonmel Town B missed a penalty, but the home side went in for the half-time break with a comfortable 3-0 cushion when Vincent Godfrey finished off a well-weighted pass from Mark Flannery.

Whatever was said by the Clonmel Town Reserves mentors it saw a rejuvenated side take to the field for the second half and reduced the leeway in the 49th minute when Jimmy Pollard with the a slight deflection found the back of the net. Clonmel Town B continued to probe for openings and reduced the leeway to a single goal in 62nd minute when a low shot from Thomas Kennedy through a crowd of players saw the ball find the back of the net. Kennedy turned from goal-scoring hero to villain shortly afterwards. Despite this setback, Clonmel Town B refused to press the panic button and completed their recovery in the 75th minute when Jimmy Bullard dispatched a spot-kick to the net for a share of the points.

Lowry goal wins it for Saints reserves


St. Michael’s B secured the opening three points in this opening game in League Division 2 overcoming the gallant challenge of Glen Villa in a game played at the Canon Hayes Complex, Tipp town last Sunday.

Glen Villa will feel justifiably aggrieved that they didn’t get anything from this game. They hit the woodwork three times and found stand-in keeper Timmy Dalton a tough nut to pass on other occasions. Early exchanges were even with Kevin Stapleton and Jason Collins going close. Glen Villa’s Collins headed straight at Dalton in the 11th minute from a Paddy Hennessey cross. Saints got what proved to be the winning goal on 13 minutes when Brian Lowry got on the end of a John O’Brien corner-kick to score from six yards. With Glen Villa chasing an equaliser Jason Collins hit the post on the half hour. Saints too had chances to extend their lead when a Neil Hassett free-kick from the right went invitingly across the box and out for a corner-kick on 33 minutes. Cathal Ryan failed to connect with a Shane Penderville pass on 37 minutes and Glen Villa’s Michael Peters headed off the line for Glen Villa on the stroke of half time.
St. Michael’s opened the second half brightly with Cathal Ryan’s shot hacked away off the goal-line. Timmy Dalton did well to smother the ball at the feet of Dean McCool on 61 minutes. Jason Collins hit the crossbar after a corner on 70 minutes. Kevin Stapleton’s goal bound shot was blocked on 73 minutes and Villa again hit the crossbar through Liam Phelan. In the end it was Glen Villa that were left cursing their luck as a delighted St. Michael’s B held on to secure maximum points.