O’Donnell double helps Cahir Park to good win

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1


Cahir Park began the new League Division 1 campaign season on a positive note securing maximum points against Ballingarry Albion in bright sunshine at Ardfinnan Road, Cahir last Sunday.

Dylan Fitzgerald sent a fine cross to youth player David Finnane whose shot was just over. Continuing in such a bright vein, Fitzgerald was again involved on 5 minutes to apply a delicate chip that deceived the Ballingarry keeper but was too high. On 15 minutes, ex-Borris youth John O’Connor, fresh from a great display the previous day in the drawn youth game against Clonmel Town, had a shot on target. The deadlock was to be broken when Paddy O’Donnell aware of the breaking ball to shimmy past the advancing keeper to put Cahir deservedly one up. The pressure piled on a hard-working resolute visiting defence who refused to capitulate. The first shot on target from the visitors came after 28 minutes although Aaron Wall in the home goal was not to be beaten. The last shot in anger came from Cahir’s Pat Fitzgerald’s free-kick that was tipped over the bar by the ‘keeper.

Ballingarry Albion were quicker to start the second half having their best period of the game troubling Aaron Wall’s goal regularly but John O’Connor and Barry McCormack combined well to mop up most of the pressure. On the hour, Paddy O’Donnell’s second did arrive, when a thundering 25-yard effort by the ex-Clonmel Celtic striker that left the keeper rooted to the spot. Cahir Park, who knocked out Shield holders Galbally United the previous week,made it 3-0 when Barry McCormack provided a through ball for Pa Fitzgerald to finish strongly and put the game beyond a Ballingarry Albion side playing their first game of the season.

Cullen-Lattin denied historic victory



Cullen-Lattin were denied an historic victory on their League Division 1 debut when Co. Limerick neighbours Galbally United fought back to share the spoils in Aisling Park, Cullen last Sunday.

Cullen-Lattin hoping to make an impact at this level at the first time of asking scored their first goal in Division 1 when Liam Murphy scored in a goalmouth scramble on 13 minutes. However, celebrations from the home side were short-lived, because just three minutes later Galbally drew level when Conor Hennebry rose highest to head home a corner-kick. Cullen-Lattin didn’t allow that goal to put them off their rhythm and the West Tipp side restored their lead at 2-1 in the 26th minute with a well executed direct free-kick from 25 yards by John Russell..

Cullen-Lattin started the second half as they finished the first, but found a better organised Galbally rearguard hard to unhinge. In fact it was Galbally that almost restored parity on the hour mark only for Cullen ’keeper Ger Ryan produce an excellent save from Danny Frewen. Unfortunately, for Cullen-Lattin they threw Galbally a life-line with eight minutes remaining when conceding a penalty that was dispatched to the net by Kieran Callaghan to salvage the visitors a share of spoils.

Goalkeeper Lowry’s penalty secures points for St Nicholas


St. Nicholas FC with a Mark Lowry penalty got their 2012/13 League Division 1 campaign off to the perfect start as they secured maximum points against Glengoole United at the Community Sportsfield, Glengoole last Sunday.

Glengoole who just missed out on promotion to the top flight last season were well on top in all sectors expect where it mattered most - in front of goal where they squandered a number of opportunities. St. Nicholas of Solohead had done their homework defending in numbers and hoping to hit on the break, but like Glengoole failed to turn them into scores, thus leaving it scoreless at half-time

The second half continued in a similar vein with Glengoole United creating further chances, but failing to covert. Those misses were to prove costly as St. Nicholas living off crumbs were thrown a life-line when awarded a penalty in the 75th minute. The St. Nicholas goalkeeper, and chief penalty taker; Mark Lowry walked the length of the pitch and dispatched the ball to the net against his opposite number. Although Glengoole enjoyed the majority of the possession, but unfortunately left the shooting boots at home gifting St. Nicholas three valuable points.

Promoted Moyglass best in local derby


Killenaule Rovers got their new campaign, back in League Division 1 after a number of years, off to the perfect start coming from behind to defeat neighbours Moyglass United in Killenaule last Sunday.

Newly promoted Killenaule Rovers started the brighter and had a few half chances in the opening 25 minutes, but Moyglass showed composure and caught them with a counter attack where Andrew Yates opened the scoring with a low drive into the bottom corner on 30 minutes. Killenaule continued to have push for an opener but couldn’t convert their chances.

On the resumption Killenaule got their reward when a goal line scramble saw John Paul Doyle convert and within 5 minutes Ger Ivers worked hard to create and finish his chance to turn the this game on its head to make it 2-1. John Paul Doyle then netted his second after 60 minutes with a well taken shot. Moyglass then made some positional and personnel changes and this sparked them into life and they started to push for a goal. This arrived through James Morrissey on the 75th minute when he latched onto a shot after a mix up in the defence. Moyglass pushed for an equaliser but Killenaule finished the scoring when Paul Webster dribbled through a number of tackles and slipped the ball under the keeper to see Killenaule close out the game at 4-2.