Share of the spoils a fair result

Youth League

Youth League


Outgoing champions Clonmel Town had to come from behind to salvage a point against Cahir Park in this Youth League game played in Cahir last Saturday.

Cahir Park enjoyed the early pressure and deservedly took the lead on the half hour mark with Garry Cronin having a simple tap-in. Clonmel Town, who are not going to relinquish their title that easy reorganised their forces and were back on level terms going in for the half-time cuppa.

It was nip and tuck throughout the second half as both sides tried to secure the three points on offer. However, overall it was an evenly fought battle that saw both sides cancelling each other out and in the end a share of the spoils was a fair outcome.

Connolly the star for Celtic


Clonmel Celtic secured their first points of the new Youth League campaign coming from 3-1 down in the dying minutes to beat Two Mile Borris by the odd goal in seven in a highly entertaining contest in Ferryhouse, Clonmel last Saturday.

Two Mile Borris took the following a tap-in from Sean Birmingham when the ball bobbled across the six yard box after 5 minutes. Celtic then won a penalty on 25 minutes and from the resultant spot kick Danny Wyatt coolly sent the keeper the wrong way to restore parity. Disaster struck after 30 minutes when Celtic keeper Jake McDonald had to be substituted due to injury following a fine twisting save. Two Mile Boris regained the lead when James Healy touched the ball home following an error from the freshly introduced John Smyth in goal. The first half concluded with Two Mile Borris 2-1 in front.
The second half began with Celtic pushing forward but on 55 minutes Two Mile Borris extended their lead to 3-1 when Celtic were caught out by a quick counter-attack that ended with Colum Cunningham scrambling the ball home. With time running out the inspired introduction of Kieran Farrell and Corey Connolly by Celtic turned this game on its head. Connolly made an instant impact when he ghosted in at the far post in the 89th minute to pull one back. Celtic saw an unstoppable volley from Danny Wyatt nestled in the top right corner of the net to level it at 3-3 going into stoppage time. With time almost up Clonmel Celtic saw Connolly win possession from the Two Mile Borris restart and it concluded with him bursting into the penalty area to slot the ball under the advancing keeper to snatch a remarkable victory from the jaws of defeat by 4-3.

Clerihan hit for six


Peake Villa produced a second half goal-scoring spree that saw the Thurles side secure victory in the Youth League as they hit a hapless Clerihan FC for six at the Community Sports Complex, Clerihan last Saturday.

Peake Villa got off to a flyer with Garry Dunne scoring after just two minutes. Clerihan settled into the game and restored parity on 16 minutes through Rhys McMurrow. However, Peake Villa, who were creating the better chances, went 2-1 up through Ciaran Maher on the half hour mark.

Once Peake Villa went 3-1 up through the same player after 56 minutes there was only one team in it. Villa completed their scoring with goals from Adam Grant in the 77th minute, followed by own goal two minutes later. Tom Tierney wrapped up the scoring with almost the last kick of the game.

Byrnes earns a point for Bansha


Bansha Celtic salvaged a point with a goal in time added on against newcomers Galbally United in the Co. Limerick village last Saturday.

Galbally United dominated the early stages and opened their account in the 25th minute when Dylan Noonan headed home a David Cussen centre. Bansha Celtic, who last season combined with Donohill, but went alone this campaign managed to stay in touch.

On the hour mark Bansha should have levelled, but were denied by Dylan Noonan getting back to clear a ball of the line. With time almost up Galbally United looked like they might record a victory. However, it was not to be, as Bansha Celtic snatched a share of the spoils well into stoppage-time with a breakaway goal that was finished by Tommy Byrnes.