Cullen/Lattin defeat Ballingarry Albion

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1



Cullen-Lattin got their League Division 1 promotion campaign back on track as they eventually got the better of strugglers Ballingarry Albion by the odd goal in five at Aisling Park, Cullen last Sunday.

Cullen-Lattin, who made club history by reaching this division, got the breakthrough on 15 minutes when a John Russell direct free-kick from 20 yards found the back of the net. Ballingarry Albion, who are in danger of being relegated, were back on level terms on 27 minutes courtesy of Michael Ivors and it remained all square at 1-1 at the halfway stage.

Just a minute after the restart Cullen-Lattin regained the lead when the Ballingarry keeper could only parry a Liam Murphy shot and on hand was John Russell to return the ball into an unguarded goal. Ballingarry Albion recovered from that early second half blow and looked like taking a share of the points when Ian Ivors scored in a goalmouth scramble on 75 minutes. However, Cullen-Lattin, who looked dangerous on the counter-attack, snatched victory with six minutes remaining when Barry O’Dwyer finished off a breakaway goal.

This victory sees Cullen-Lattin go joint third on 14 points with 6 games left. Ballingarry Albion remains bottom on 4 points also with 6 games left.

Killenaule secure vital league points



Killenaule Rovers secured three vital League Division 1 points as they surprised highflyers St. Nicholas at Danny O’Dwyer Park, Solohead last Sunday.

This game that switched to Solohead at the 11th hour didn’t upset a Killenaule side that are at the wrong end of the table from going in front on 12 minutes when a shot by Andrew Hanley from the right side of the penalty area ended in the net. St. Nicholas were thrown a lifeline on 32 minutes when awarded a penalty scored by Mark Lowry to level it at 1-1. However, a Johnny Grace speculative shot on 40 minutes that went in off the underside of the crossbar saw Killenaule go in 2-1 ahead at the break.

Killenaule Rovers extended their lead to 3-1 after 55 minutes with another Johnny Grace unstoppable effort. With St. Nicholas struggling to penetrate a resilient Killenaule back-line, the home side were caught with a typical breakaway goal from James Hickey on 85 minutes to secure all three points on offer.

Whilst St. Nicholas remains joint third on 14 points with 8 games left this victory for Killenaule Rovers sees them move off the bottom rung of the ladder now on 7 points with 7 games left.

Rory Ryan solitary strike seals Borris victory



A Rory Ryan goal midway through the second half secured all three League Division 1 points for Two Mile Borris against Glengoole United at Newhill Park, Littleton last Sunday.

Two Mile Borris looking for back-to-back victories to put daylight between themselves and those at the lower end of the table never looked in trouble. Glengoole who enjoyed plenty of possession struggled throughout the ninety minutes to break down a resolute Borris rearguard and never troubled goalkeeper Gerry Treacy. On the other hand Borris looked dangerous on the counter-attack and were unlucky not to go in a goal up at the break when the width of the post denied Anthony Healy.

It was a similar pattern after the resumption with Glengoole enjoying the majority of the possession but failing to penetrate the Borris rearguard that kept a clean sheet for the second week on the trot. Then with Glengoole looking like they might secure a share of the spoils Two Mile Borris struck the killer blow. It came on 72 minutes when Derek Loughnane produced a solo-run down the left flank before delivering the perfect centre that saw the inrushing Rory Ryan make contact and score from 6 yards. Glengoole tried in vain to get an equaliser as Two Mile Borris went on to secure back-to-back victories.

This victory sees Two Mile Borris move into contention for promotion on 13 points with 8 games still to play. Killenaule Rovers remain just above the drop zone on 11 points with 8 games remaining.