League and cup glory for Carrick juveniles

Under 13 A League

Under 13 A League

Southend 0 Carrick United 2

On Thursday last our Under 13 A squad went to Southend knowing a win would secure a fourth league title in a row. Win the boys did with sometimes great style and later in the game some very nervous play. From the start Carrick got the ball down and played some lovely football with some good chances coming from play, Billy Power, Graham Holloway and Dean Kiely all coming close. Then Billy Power got a wonderful first goal, great play down the left wing ended with a cracking cross into the box which Billy rifled to the net. We continued to play some good football, the second goal came from great play all round. Billy put in a great a great cross that was headed home by Holloway. We started the second half as we finished the first with hard work and good football. Credit to Southend who never gave up, both sides created more opportunities but there was no more goals.

There was great joy at the finish as the boys, management, parents and supporters celebrated a great win. These are simply a wonderful group of boys who just don’t know when they are beaten. In fact they have lost just one league game in four years. Congratulations to all the boys and the management team of Wack and Mick. Thanks also to the parents and grand parents for their support all season taking the boys to and from games and training. The boys return to Southend this Thursday night for the opening round of the cup.

Carrick United - David Power, Martin Power, Josh Ellis(Capt), Dean Kiely, Joseph Keogh, James Whelan, Darragh Walsh, Graham Holloway, Sean Martin, Jack Lyons, Billy Power, Seamus Burke, Steven Curry, Sam Barry, Jack Walsh, Jimmy Russell, Ethan Farrell.

Best of luck to Seamus Burke who has a trial for the Irish schoolboy golf team shortly.

Under 11 A Cup Final

Tramore 1 Carrick United 2

Tramore shocked league winners Villa in the semi final so everybody knew this final would not be easy. We started the game brightly, playing our usual passing game. The three boys at the back, Tom, James D and Ian looked comfortable and knocked the ball around well. Zach did not have too much to do in the opening stages and dealt with anything that came his way in his usual calm manner. Mark bossed things in midfield, ably helped by Christy, while James P on the right was causing lots of problems for the home team. Dillon on the left was excellent again and he was unlucky not to put us ahead in the first couple of minutes. Mikie did great work up front and he too was unlucky not to find the net in the first 15 minutes. Tramore were restricted to long balls up the field and from one of these one of their players went tumbling to the ground in a race to the ball with Zach. The referee, perhaps a little harshly, pointed to the spot and the Tramore player made no mistake, blasting the ball to the net. The young Carrick stars did not panic and continued to play good football. We forced a series of corners and went close on a couple of occasions with Tom and Christy unlucky not to score. We then got the breakthrough we deserved when that goal machine, Mikie, won a great header and put the ball in the net, again from a corner. This could only be seen as justice done, as a short time earlier we seemed to score but the ref deemed the ball to have not crossed the line. Half time found us at one all with Carrick now to play into a stiff breeze in the second half. The second half was more even in terms of possession with Tramore putting more pressure on the Carrick defence. Eoghan came on to give Mikie a well deserved rest up front and caused problems with his height and pace. Luke and Ronan came in to the middle while Sean and Jamie provided fresh legs on the wings. Adam came on in goal and made some vital interceptions when Tramore might have broken through. It became a real battle and Luke showed the way with some thunderous tackles on the Tramore dangerman. Carrick got a new lease of life in the last 10 minutes and were unlucky not to score having one goal ruled offside. However, with only 3 minutes left on the clock, Jamie made a break and played a lovely ball to Mark. Mark controlled brilliantly and, with ice cool nerve, passed the ball in to the net beyond the despairing dive of the home keeper. For the next 5 minutes, including additional, Carrick defended like their lives depended on it. At the final whistle the Carrick players celebrated wildly and jumped for joy after an exciting victory...their first “A” medal, the first of many we are sure for this talented bunch of stars. It was great to see Joey joining in...we wish him a speedy recovery from injury- he had an outstanding season this year. Captain for the day, Zach, lifted the cup aloft and the boys managed to find the energy for a lap of honour! Well done to all!!!