All too easy for Clonmel Celtic in Munster Junior Cup

Munster Junior Cup 5th Round

Munster Junior Cup 5th Round


An impressive second half display from Clonmel Celtic saw the TSDL side come from behind to comfortably get past NTDL neighbours Nenagh Celtic and book their place in the Munster Junior Cup quarter finals for the second successive season at Celtic Park, Clonmel last Sunday.

It was a lively start by both sides with Brian Waters having his effort charged down on three minutes while a minute later at the other end Enrico Casey’s effort deflected wide. Clonmel Celtic looked dangerous when they got in behind the visitors defence and Nenagh keeper Aidan Herlihy got down well to push away Evan Maguire’s effort. Although the home side looked the more likely to open the scoring in the early stages they had a let-off on 13 minutes when they prevented the ball crossing the line in a major scramble in the Clonmel Celtic six yard box.

As play swung from end to end David Joyce broke clear on 14 minutes but his effort struck the post. The visitors hit the front on 28 minutes when Craig Connolly broke through some weak challenges and smashed the ball past Richie Ryan to the delight of the visiting fans. Their joy didn’t last too long as Clonmel Celtic were back on level terms just 6 minutes later. Seanie O’Hara with a fine pass picked out David Joyce in the box but Joyce still had a lot to do as he held off a challenge before firing the ball into the corner to make it 1-1.

Celtic were well on top for the remainder of the first half with Kevin Waters, Darren Burns, Mark Power and Craig Condon all coming close to turning this game on its head.

Clonmel Celtic started the second half as they finished the first pinning Nenagh back as they searched for the lead goal. On 48 minutes a good move culminated with David Joyce setting up Seanie O’Hara who slid the ball past Aidan O’Herlihy to make it 2-1. The visitors almost hit back immediately when Richie Ryan failed to hold onto to a Craig Connolly free kick but he somehow managed to scramble the ball around the post. Despite that hic-cup, Celtic still remained in control and O’Herlihy got down well to push Evan Maguire’s effort past the post. From Brian Waters’ resultant corner-kick, Darren Burns headed home to put Celtic 3-1 up on 53 minutes.

There looked no way back for Nenagh as Clonmel continued to dominate with Seanie O’Hara and Paul Kennedy causing plenty of problems. They wrapped the game up on 65 minutes when Seanie O’Hara headed home a Kevin Waters cross to make it 4-1. Nenagh were given a glimmer of hope on 70 minutes when they were awarded a penalty but Richie Ryan made a great one handed save from Christopher Ryan’s spot kick. The only real surprise in the latter stages of the game was that Seanie O’Hara failed to complete his hat trick as he came close a number of times including a header that produced a great save from O’Herlihy. Celtic did find the net again on 88 minutes with Stephen Ryan nodding in from close range to complete a memorable performance and put Clonmel Celtic in the right frame of mind for their visit to Ballinasloe in the FAI Junior Cup this coming Sunday.