Premier League wins for Clonmel Town and St. Michael’s

Clonmel Credit Union Premier League

Clonmel Credit Union Premier League

John Shanahan goals puts Clonmel Town top


A John Shanahan goal two minutes before half time was sufficient to secure all three Clonmel Credit Union Premier League points against strugglers Peake Villa and put the former champions back on top in a game played at the Tower Grounds, Thurles last Sunday.

With overnight leaders Clonmel Celtic involved in Munster Junior Cup action this was an opportunity for arch-rivals Clonmel Town to regain top spot and they took it with both hands. As early as the 8th minute John Shanahan saw a shot rebound of the woodwork. Peake Villa still just above the relegation zone with games quickly running out saw Jody O’Mahoney come close and Ted O’Connor head wide from a good position. The deadlock was broken on 43 minutes when Peake Villa failed to clear their lines allowing John Shanahan the room to fire low into the corner of the goal from 18 yards to give Clonmel Town the lead.

Clonmel Town should have doubled their lead on 56 minutes when David McGrath was one-on-one with the keeper but dragged his shot the wrong side of the post. That let-off saw Peake Villa regain the upper hand, but the home side were denied by some good saves by the Clonmel Town net-minder. The nearest Peake Villa came to drawing level was when a dipping shot from Noel Kent was tipped over the crossbar by the Town ‘keeper after 67 minutes. Over the final quarter of a hour Clonmel Town regained control and held on to take the three points on offer.

This result sees a Clonmel Town side that are unbeaten return to the top on 27 points with 3 games left. They have a single point lead over unbeaten Clonmel Celtic, who have a game less played. Peake Villa remain just above the drop zone on 11 points with just 1 game left.

Saints bounce back to winning ways


Defending champions St. Michael’s got their Premier League campaign back on track after hitting already relegated Bansha Celtic for five at Celtic Park, Bansha last Sunday.

Bansha Celtic keeper Bernard Lonergan produced a number of inspired saves as St. Michael’s bombarded the Celtic goal. However, it was not until the 40th minute when it took a fortuitous own goal to get Saints on their way. A cross from Alan Hayes was headed in to the Bansha goal by a defender on the 6-yard line to give St. Michael’s a 1-0 interval lead.

Bansha Celtic still looking for that first win of the season got back level in the 55th minute when a defensive mix-up let in Tony Lowry to shot low passed the keeper. However, St. Michael’s after their defeat to Clonmel Town seven days earlier, restored their lead just three minutes later when Michael Buckley headed in a free kick at the back post. From that stage onwards St. Michael’s took complete control when Michael Buckley scored again five minutes later when a needless corner-kick was given away and from it the ball broke and was finished from 10 yards out to make it 3-1. Two late strikes from former Bansha Celtic striker Darren Stokes in the 80th and 85th minutes finished off the scoring for a St. Michael’s side that face a tough journey to Limerick to face Ballynanty Rovers in the last 16 of the Munster Junior Cup this coming Sunday.

St. Michael’s remain in third place on 20 points, but have 5 games left and with visits to both Clonmel Town and Clonmel Celtic still to come this TSDL Premier League title run-in is far from over. Bansha Celtic after just a season back in top-flight football are relegated having secured just 2 points and have just 1 game left.