Division Three wins for Cahir Park, Glengoole United and Cullen-Lattin

Cahir take step closer to top flight

Cahir take step closer to top flight


Undefeated Cahir Park became outright leaders of League Division 1 after securing all three points against Moyglass United at Ardfinnan Road, Cahir last Sunday.

Cahir Park looking for a quick return to top flight football dominated first half possession, but failed to breakdown a Moyglass side still hovering just above the relegation zone and it remained scoreless at halftime.

It was after the changeover that Cahir Park eventually turned possession into scores. On 55 minutes, a direct free-kick from 20 yards out was executed by Denis Peters to break the deadlock. On 70 minutes Cahir made it 2-0 when Jason Hahessy finished off a centre by Paddy O’Donnell. Moyglass pulled a goal back through Michael Lacy on 80 minutes, but it was just a consolation score as Cahir made sure of the points over the last five minutes. Jason Hahessy became provider to set-up Eamon Wooten after 85 minutes before Hahessy added his second to make it 4-1 with three minutes remaining.

This result sees Cahir Park open up a three-point lead and they are now on 22 points with 8 games left. Moyglass United remains just above the relegation zone on 10 points with 7 games left.

Glengoole snatch win at the death



Glengoole United provided an upset in League Division 1 bringing high flying Galbally United back down to earth with a bump at the Co. Limerick village last Sunday.

Second place Galbally United were hoping to make it three wins in a row as they continued their quest on a return to top flight football, but visitors Glengoole United harbouring promotion aspirations of their own got the breakthrough after 40 minutes when Michael Heffernan headed home.

Galbally were still in the game and after misfiring on a number of occasions and got the equaliser on 70 minutes when substitute Danny Frewen’s 25 yard strike proved unstoppable. Nevertheless, it was Glengoole that finished the stronger and after Galbally net-minder kept his side in the game with some fine saves couldn’t be faulted for Glengoole United’s two goals in the last five minutes. A quickly taken corner-kick caught Galbally ball-watching allowing Tommy Duggan restore Glengoole United’s lead at 2-1 and right on the stroke of full-time Richard Purcell made sure of the three points.

This result sees Galbally United remain in second place on 19 points with 6 games left. Glengoole United remain in mid-table on 15 points also with 6 games left.

Cullen-Lattin close gap


Cullen-Lattin closed the gap on the leaders of League Division 1 after putting a dent in St. Nicholas of Solohead promotion aspirations in this West Tipp derby at Aisling Park, Cullen last Sunday.

Cullen-Lattin, hoping to create further club history by reaching the top flight for the first time, got off to a dream start when former junior international star Davy Ryan scored from a loose ball in the box after 12 minutes. The home side enjoyed the majority of the fifty-fifty opening half exchanges and made it 2-0 after 21 minutes when a speculative 35 yard strike from John Russell went all the way to the back of the net.

Cullen-Lattin continued the second half as they finished the first and on 55 minutes made it 3-0 when Barry O’Dwyer beat the off-side trap before rounding the ‘keeper and scoring. This contest looked well over when Cullen-Lattin courtesy of Liam Murphy made it 4-0 on 66 minutes. Cullen-Lattin then eased off the gas and allowed St. Nicholas back into the game with Alan Riordan scoring after 75 minutes and Joss O’Brien after 77 minutes, but a combination of superb goalkeeping by Ger Ryan and the stopwatch saw Cullen-Lattin hanging on to secure the three points on offer.

This victory sees Cullen-Lattin join St. Nicholas in third place on 17 points with Cullen-Lattin having 4 games left but St. Nicholas with games in hand have 6 remaining.

Ger Ivors strike proves decisive



A Ger Ivors goal midway through the second half keeps Killenaule Rovers dream of staying in League Division 1 for next season alive as they overcame the ten men of Two Mile Borris at Newhill Park, Littleton last Sunday.

Two Mile Borris battling to avoid the drop in successive seasons, were well in control in the opening half, but their problem of failing to find the back of the net would come back to haunt them before the ninety minutes were up.

After the break, Two Mile Borris continued to pile on the pressure. But Borris’ frustration of not being able to score boiled over and they were reduced to ten players on 65 minutes. With a numerical advantage Killenaule Rovers, who won the Second Division crown last season, turned their first real chance into the winning goal when a Ger Ivors’ shot took a wicked deflection, catching the Borris ‘keeper off balance as the ball flew into the net on 70 minutes. Although Two Mile Borris enjoyed the best of the exchanges over the final twenty minutes, they were denied an equaliser by the width of a post as a very relieved Killenaule Rovers held on for the three precious points on offer.

This win sees Killenaule out of the relegation zone and on 11 points with 5 games left. Borris remain on 13 points with 4 games left.