FAI Junior Cup 7th Round




A hat-trick from Pa Quinn saw a physically stronger and more experienced St. Michael’s overcome a gallant Wicklow Rovers side in this last 16 FAI Junior Cup played in Cooke Park, Tipp town last Sunday. Wicklow were skilful and fast and Davy O’Sullivan outran the defence early on but on one occasion Saints goalie Derek Breen parried his shot away for a corner. From the set-piece, Tommy Smullen’s shot was deflected and gathered by a grateful Derek Breen. Pa Quinn’s 13th minute header was deflected for a corner and Paul Breen was then off target with a header from Jimmy Carr’s corner kick.

Saints got the breakthrough after 16 minutes when a right wing cross by Padraic Fogarty was flicked home by Pa Quinn. Wicklow were causing problems but the experienced Saints defence were on top and deserved their 1-0 interval lead. S. Michael’s continued to create chances as the second half got underway. Jimmy Carr’s excellent run after 46 minutes saw him round Delahunty in the Rovers goal but the ‘keeper recovered to save his shot. John McElwee played in Davy O’Sullivan after 52 minutes but Saints net-minder Derek Breen was equal to the shot.

In the 54th minute Saints won a free kick 35 yards out and Trevor Cosgrave’s set-piece was knocked down by James Walsh at the far post for Pa Quinn to make it 2-0. It was 3-0 7 minutes later when Delahunty spilled a Jimmy Carr shot and Pa Quinn tapped home from close range.

Quinn nearly got his fourth when his shot was saved at the near post by Delahunty from a Richie Ryan cross. John Connery and Sean O’ Halloran came in for Padraic Fogarty and Pa Quinn, as Saints looked to close out the contest. Luke Byrne brought a tremendous reflex save from Derek Breen after 85 minutes. Then Shane Guerin, who came in as a late replacement for Jimmy Carr, rose to head home a Sean O’Halloran cross in stoppage time, as St. Michael’s lined up a home quarter-final with North End Utd of Wexford, who beat Carrick United last weekend.