Haddue inspires ten-man Vee Rovers to hard-earned win

Kelly Travel, Pallasgreen Peter O’Reilly Cup 1st Round

Kelly Travel, Pallasgreen Peter O’Reilly Cup 1st Round


Substitute Jimmy Haddue helped the ten men of Vee Rovers qualify for the second round of the Peter O’Reilly Cup after overcoming fellow Third Division high-flyers Clerihan FC in Clogheen last Sunday.

Vee Rovers had the worst start possible to this game having a player sent off for a second bookable offence in the opening ten minutes. However, the Clogheen outfit galvanised their troops and took the game to a Clerihan side that have shown they will be a tough nut to crack after gaining promotion, but found Rovers net-minder Cathal Moloney in top form keeping the game scoreless at the break.

Despite having a numerical disadvantage Vee Rovers took the lead on 64 minutes when substitute Jimmy Haddue scored from close range after Clerihan failed to clear their lines. Then Haddue became the provider for the insurance goal for Vee Rovers after 72 minutes when setting up Cormac Crowe whose low drive found the corner of the net from the edge of the 18 yards area. Clerihan tried in vain to get something from the game but Vee Rovers held on to secure their passage into the last eight.

Mackey proves the match-winner again for Cashel


An opening half goal blitz saw Third Division Cashel Town B lose a two-goal lead before snatching victory by the odd goal in five against Fourth Division Tipperary Town B in this Peter O’Reilly Cup opening round game in Tipp town last Sunday.

Cashel Town B got off to a whirlwind start scoring twice in the opening five minutes. Paul Ryan broke the deadlock after just 3 minutes with Mick Mackey making it 2-0 on 5 minutes. Tipperary Town B looking for their first victory of the season didn’t drop their heads and responded in style. Anthony Hogan reduced the deficit to a single goal after 18 minutes before James Scanlon restored parity at 2-2 after 40 minutes.

However, Cashel Town B refused to lie down and were back in front right on the stroke of half-time through their top goal-poacher Mick Mackey, who bagged his second of the afternoon and what proved to be the winner.

Ballyneale strike late to claim victory


A late-late show saw Ballyneale FC come from behind to defeat fellow Fourth Division side Dualla FC in this Peter O’Reilly Cup opening round tie at the Community Field, Dualla last Sunday.

In what was described as a typical cup tie in very bad weather conditions, possession was even in the first half with Dualla making the most of their chances with Darragh Hickey putting the finishing touch to a cross in the 30th minute.

There was again plenty of chances for both sides in the second half, but on this occasion it was Ballyneale that took theirs, restoring parity on 71 minutes through Darren McCarthy. With Dualla now under the cosh, Ballyneale went on to add two goals in the final seven minutes from Enda Fogarty and Jamie Kennedy respectively snatching an unlikely victory from the jaws of defeat.

St Kierans just survive Clonmel Celtic rally


Fourth Division St. Kieran’s of Cahir progressed to the last eight of the Peter O’Reilly Cup after overcoming Third Division Clonmel Celtic B by the odd goal in five, in a game which was switched from Cahir to Ferryhouse, Clonmel last Sunday.

Despite giving up home advantage St. Kieran’s got the breakthrough after just 8 minutes when Shane O’Neill followed up in his original shot that the keeper spilled and scored from the rebound. St. Kierans made it 2-0 after 34 minutes when Kevin Murray volleyed the ball past the keeper from a Shane O’Neill free-kick to lead 2-0 at the break.

St. Kieran’s continued the second half as they had finished the first going 3-0 up when James English chipped the ball over the keeper from another Shane O’Neill free-kick on 56 minutes.

With St. Kieran’s sitting back on their lead it saw Clonmel Celtic B pull a goal back on 65 minutes when Paul Kelly was quickest to react to a rebound and slotted it past the keeper. Celtic reserves made the last twenty minutes of the game very interesting when Jason Hahessy dribbled into the box and his shot beat the keeper to make it 3-2. However, the Celtic rally failed to stop a relieved St. Kierans side booking a place in the last eight.

Donohill hit Borris for six


Third Division Donohill & District booked their place in the last eight of the Peter O’Reilly Cup as they hit Fourth Division Two Mile Borris B for six in a game played in heavy underfoot conditions at the West Tipp village last Sunday.

The game was just nine minutes old when Donohill broke the deadlock when awarded one of three penalties; this one converted by Joey Shanahan. It was 2-0 to Donohill at the interval when John McGrath scored after 39 minutes.

Two Mile Borris B were not there to make up the numbers and proved it by reducing the leeway through an Eolan McCarthy penalty after 48 minutes. Four minutes later Donohill regained their two-goal advantage when Raymond Barry scored but the turning point came after 55 minutes when Two Mile Borris Reserves were reduced to ten players after Joey Shanahan – a constant thorn in their side throughout the ninety minutes – was upended in the penalty area and from the spot-kick, Ger O’Neill made it 4-1.

Two Mile Borris added their second goal after 62 minutes courtesy of Thomas Quigley, but they were now fighting an uphill battle as Joey Shanahan added his second of the afternoon again from the penalty spot after being taken down on 77 minutes. Just before the end, Ger O’Neill added his second to make it 6-2 and book Donohill & District a place in the last eight.