Breen hits late winner for Kilsheelan

Shamrock Lounge of Cahir Paddy Purtill Cup 2nd Round

Shamrock Lounge of Cahir Paddy Purtill Cup 2nd Round


First Division Cullen-Lattin had to come from behind before eventually overcoming Second Division Kilsheelan United by the odd goal in three in this Paddy Purtill Cup 2nd Round clash at the West Tipp venue last Sunday.

Kilsheelan United enjoyed the majority of the opening half exchanges and took a deserved lead after 22 minutes when Eddie Sweeney was on hand to turn the ball home from close range and it remained that way as the halfway stage arrived.

It was after the changeover that Cullen-Lattin got the upper hand but with Kilsheelan United defending in numbers they proved a tough nut to crack in the energy sapping conditions.

However, the constant pressure eventually paid dividends for Cullen-Lattin after 76 minutes when Kilsheelan failed to clear their lines allowing Damien Lynch to score home from close range to restore parity.

With extra-time looking on the cards Cullen-Lattin with just two minutes remaining got the winner when a race for a fifty-fifty ball over the top saw John Breen beat Kilsheelan goalkeeper and poke the ball home to book his side a place in the last eight.

St Nicholas overcome dogged Glen Villa challenge


First Division St. Nicholas overcame the dogged challenge of Second Division Glen Villa to advance to the last eight of the Paddy Purtill Cup in the Glen of Aherlow last Sunday.

Despite the heavy underfoot conditions both these sides gave it their best and Glen Villa were holding their own against their most illustrious West Tipp neighbours until four minutes before the break. With Glen Villa defence pushing out, Declan Riordan sprang their offside trap before picking his spot against the advancing net-minder to go 1-0 up at the break.

With conditions getting worse, both sides struggled to make headway and this tie was in the balance right up until the final whistle. With Glen Villa pushing forward in numbers in search of an equaliser they were hit with the typical sucker punch on 70 minutes. An attack broke down allowing Joss O’Brien to make tracks unopposed along the left flank before finding Philip Doherty who scored from close range booking St. Nicholas their passage into the last eight.

Game abandoned at half time


(Abandoned at half-time)

The weather took its toll on this Paddy Purtill Cup opening round tie at the halfway point between Killusty who drew level with fellow Second Division outfit Rosegreen Rangers at the foot of Slievenamon last Sunday.

Rosegreen Rangers, who are turning into knockout specialists this season, took an early lead through David Butler after 12 minutes. Newly promoted Killusty, although blowing hot and cold this campaign, were back on level terms after 22 minutes when Shane Alyward headed home a Colm Coen corner-kick.

On the half hour mark, Killusty had a penalty saved, but it did not matter as the referee brought proceedings to a halt at half time, due to the deteriorating weather conditions.