Clonmel Town defeat St. Michael’s in Premier League

Clonmel Credit Union Premier League

Clonmel Credit Union Premier League

Barry Ryan double sinks St. Michael’s


Clonmel Town continued their undefeated run in the Premier League after coming from behind to beat fellow title challenger St. Michael’s by the odd goal in five at Cooke Park, Tipp town last Sunday.

Outgoing champions St. Michael’s suffered a setback here after taking the lead through a cracking goal on 16 minutes from Richie Ryan who scored with a sublime shot from 25 yards from a pass by Pakie Farrell. Clonmel Town with championship aspirations of their own, competed well in midfield and equalised on 36 minutes when a Conor Kenneally in-swinging corner-kick evaded Derek Breen and the defence ending up in the net for a soft goal. That was the tonic Clonmel Town required, and the visitors turned this game on its head on 43 minutes when Barry Ryan headed home a Tony Scully corner-kick.
It took another error by the normal reliable St. Michael’s defence that allowed Barry Ryan spring the offside trap and make it 3-1 on 56 minutes when ‘keeper Derek Breen stopped as if expecting a whistle and he tapped the ball home from 6 yards. In a frantic finish to this game James Walsh gave St. Michael’s a glimmer of hope making it 3-2 on 89 minutes from the penalty spot after substitute Pa Quinn was clipped in the area. However, Clonmel Town with greater application and endeavour deserved the victory that opens up the league campaign and it should be a great end to the season.

The run-in for the title sees Clonmel Celtic on top on 26 points with 4 games left; Clonmel Town on 24 points also with 4 games left; Old Bridge on 20 points with 3 games left and St. Michael’s on 17 points with 6 games left.

Cashel Town salvage previous point


Cashel Town had to come from behind to rescue a Premier League point from this game with fellow strugglers Wilderness Rovers at Palmers Hill, Cashel last Sunday. 

Wilderness Rovers who are six points adrift of Cashel took the lead after only 3 minutes when they broke well after Cashel lost possession on the middle of the field and Gerald Kennedy finished really well from the edge of the box. Although Cashel Town enjoyed a lot of possession they struggled to break down a resolute Wilderness Rovers defence who led 1-0 at the break.

Cashel Town pressed for an equaliser for the next 70 minutes but failed to take any of their chances. That was until Daniel Doherty managed to finally get clear from a Joe Breen header and finish well from 12 yards. Over the final twenty minutes both teams pressed for a winner but it never materialised. 

The bottom four are: Cashel Town on 13 points with 2 games left; Peake Villa on 12 with 2 games left; Wilderness Rovers on 7 with 3 games left and Bansha Celtic on 2 with 2 games left.