Kilsheelan’s Cloona makes Saints pay for missed chances

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 2


Kilsheelan United became the outright leaders of League Division 2 despite having to concede ‘home advantage’ picking up three vital points away to St. Michael’s B in Cooke Park, Tipp town last Sunday.

St. Michael’s Reserves lack of firepower cost them dearly, having had enough chances to win this game. Shane Penderville spurned two early chances and had claims for an early penalty turned down. Saints’ Colin Barrett went close twice as they applied the early pressure. Kilsheelan had a good chance of their own when Michael McHugh was played in on 26 minutes and brought a good save from Saints net—minder John Keating. Kilsheelan got the all important goal on 38  minutes when Barry Cloona scored after Saints net-minder John Keating did well to parry a Pierce Larkin shot.
Saints came well into it in the second half with Timmy Dalton coming on for Shane Penderville. Dalton, who was stand-in ‘keeper in their previous game, went close with a header and Brian Lowry also had a header wide of the mark. At the other end, Michael McHugh headed an Ian Cashman free kick just over the crossbar. Over the final quarter of this game Saints began to run out of ideas and time allowing Kilsheelan hold on and secure another victory on the road.

O’Dwyer hat-trick as Tipp Town hit Rosegreen for seven


A hat-trick from Adrian O’Dwyer helped Tipperary Town record a historic first League Division 2 victory overcoming Rosegreen Rangers in a nine goal fest in the Community Sportsfield, Rosegreen last Sunday.

In what was a bizarre encounter Tipperary Town broke the deadlock after 16 minutes through Adrian O’Dwyer only for Trevor Downey to level from the penalty spot for Rosegreen after 21 minutes when Eoin Byrne was fouled. Then disaster struck in a ten minute spell for Rosegreen as they conceded three goals. O’Dwyer with his second made it 3-1 on 31 minutes before Rosegreen gifted the visitors two own goals in the 38th and 39th minutes to go 4-1 in front. Although Rosegreen responded with a headed goal from Vinny Downey after 44 minutes, the second half was going to be an uphill battle.

Rosegreen were forced to go three at the back as they threw caution to the wind in a effort to try a pull this game around. But this tactic back-fired on Rosegreen as Tipperary Town came with a late flourish scoring three times in the last five minutes. Danny O’Brien helped himself to a brace, whilst O’Dwyer completed his hat-trick rounding off a good day at the office for the newcomers to this division.

Sharper Kilmanahan too strong for the Glen


Kilmanahan United secured their first win in the League Division 2 after easily overcoming Glen Villa in this game played in the Glen of Aherlow last Sunday.

Kilmanahan United after their failure to take anything from their game the previous Sunday showed much more commitment and hunger and deserved to be a goal to the good after 20 minutes when Liam Walsh headed home a free-kick delivered into the danger zone. Kilmanahan were unlucky not to double their lead when the width of the crossbar came to Glen Villa’s rescue.

Having being only a goal in arrears at the halfway stage Glen Villa came out of their shell and started asking the opposition questions, but the downside was that holes started appearing at the back and Kilmanahan United were quick to exploit them. The second Kilmanahan goal on the hour mark came from such a breakaway when Derek McGrath finished from close range. Before Glen Villa had time to reorganise Kilmanahan put this game to bed when Andrew Hickey made it 3-0 on 62 minutes. With time almost up Kilmanahan United added their fourth with Liam Walsh bagging his second of the afternoon.