Early Wooten brace sets up Cahir Park win

Clonmel Credit

Clonmel Credit

Union League Division 1


Cahir Park made it two wins from two starts in the Clonmel Credit Union League Division 1 after holding off a late rally to defeat St. Nicholas FC by the odd goal in five at Danny O’Dwyer Park, Bohertrine last Sunday.

Cahir Park made a whirlwind start to this game scoring twice in the opening eight minutes. Eamon Wooten broke the deadlock after 4 minutes when a looping strike from the left flank deceived Mark Lowry in the St. Nicholas goal. On 8 minutes, Mark Lowry produced a point-blank save, but unfortunately for him the ball broke to Wooten who had the simple task of a tap-in into an unguarded goal. St. Nicholas recovered from that setback pulling a goal back through Eoin Riordan on 20 minutes, but straight from the Cahir Park restart, they quickly worked the ball up the field ending with Paddy O’Donnell making it 3-1 to the visitors less than a minute later.

After the goal scoring exploits of the opening half Cahir Park shut up shop, defending in depth and hitting on the break. St. Nicholas plugged away trying to find gaps in the opposition defence, but it took until four minutes from the end for the Solohead outfit to at last reduce the leeway. That came from a penalty after Colm Riordan was brought down in the box. Although Mark Lowry beat his opposite number it proved too little too late to save the day for St. Nicholas.

Cahir Park are on 6 points from 2 games with St. Nicholas remaining on 3 points also from 2 games played.

Frewen hat-trick secures first win for Galbally



A second half hat-trick from Danny Frewen helped Galbally United secure their first League Division 1 victory as they hit newly promoted Killenaule Rovers for five in this game played at the Co. Limerick village last Sunday.

Killenaule Rovers who opened their campaign back at this level with a victory looked on course to repeat that feat when Tom Kennedy broke the deadlock after just 3 minutes. However, it was not to be, as Galbally recovered from that early setback as top striker Quin Perry was on hand to fire home the equaliser after the keeper failed to hold a Danny Frewen shot on 10 minutes. Galbally turned this tie on its head on 25 minutes when Kieran Callaghan fired home a well placed pass from Pat Murphy. The Co. Limerick outfit made it 3-1 going into the break when Danny Frewen with his first goal finished off a Quin Perry pass.

Galbally continued to turn the screw after the changeover. With Killenaule having no option but to push players forward in an effort to get something from this game they were hit with quickly breaking counter-attack. The first of these came in the 50th minute when a long ball over the top by Robert Healy caught the Rovers defence flat-footed allowing Frewen time and space to pick his spot and make it 4-1. Galbally wrapped up the scoring on 65 minutes when Frewen made his way towards goal along the end-line before scoring from a very acute angle to complete his hat-trick and make it 5-1.

Galbally United with two games played are unbeaten on 4 points whilst Killenaule Rovers also with 2 played are on 3 points.

Morrissey penalty wins its for 



Moyglass United secured their first victory of the new season after getting the better of Two Mile Borris in this League Division 1 encounter in Moyglass last Sunday.

Moyglass who were looking for the first win of the new campaign were up against a Two Mile Borris looking for a quick return back to top flight football and it was the visitors that created the better chances throughout the opening half but found a dogged home side refusing to yield. It might have been against the run of play that Moyglass in one of their rare forays into the opposition box that brought the only score of the game in the 32nd minute. Gavin Morrissey illegally stopped as tried to control the ball in the 18-yard area; he dusted himself down before dispatching the resultant spot-kick to the net.

Two Mile Borris piled on the pressure after the break laying siege to the Moyglass goal, but despite having numerous chances found a resolute home defence refusing to yield. Borris were denied by a number of saves from the Moyglass net-minder Keith Phelan that kept them ahead. Backed by a defence well marshalled by John Lacey and Denis Fahey, Borris found no way through as Moyglass held on for a victory that should kick-start the new season.

Shield Division 1 (2nd Round)