Prolific Kelly on the mark again

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 3

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 3



Overnight leaders Redmondstown FC made it two wins from two start in League Division 3 as they overcame the challenge of Cashel Town B in this tie played at Palmers Hill Park, Cashel last Sunday.

Redmondstown who scored seven the previous week enjoyed the majority of the possession throughout the ninety minutes but on this occasions the Clonmel side were made work for their scores. The first goal came on 12 minutes and that was scored by Yusef Birhani, who finished a great move to put Redmondstown 1-0 ahead. With Redmondstown well on top a second goal was always on the cards and it duly came on the half-hour mark when Jamie Kelly, who hit six the previous weekend, made it 2-0 scored from the penalty spot.

However, it was not all one-way traffic as Cashel Town B came more into the game on the resumption. Redmondstown threw Cashel Town Reserves a life-line midway through the second half when awarded a penalty. But Paul Moloney failed to score from the spot-kick and although Cashel Town B did create a few further chances, the overall display by Redmondstown on the day deserved the victory.

Donohill continue in winning vein



Division 4 champions Donohill & District got their new campaign in League Division 3 off to the perfect start after overcoming Ballypatrick FC at Ballypatrick community Park last Sunday.

The game turned into a scrappy affair as both sides found it hard to get the ball to work to good use. It was the visitors who broke the deadlock on the half hour when John McGrath found himself in space and took a well placed shot to make the score 1-0. This was a wake-up call as Ballypatrick who started to play the game at a faster pace only to caught on a counter attack when Joe Shanahan received the ball from his back line and he struck home to make it 2-0 to Donohill. Ballypatrick then began to play their way back into the game mounting good attacks that paid dividends when Barry Kiely found Gerard Mullen in space and dribbled his way into the box and tucked his shot under the keeper to give the home side a life-line at half time.

The second half started the same as the first with both sides battling hard and on 52 minutes Ballypatrick were handed a golden chance to level the game when awarded a penalty, but Barry Kiely - who was fouled - saw his strike palmed to safety by the Donohill keeper. Just minutes later Donohill were then awarded a penalty, but John McGrath’s spot-kick failed to find the back of the net. As Ballypatrick struck the woodwork twice in search of that elusive equaliser, Donohill, hit them with a sucker punch with Alan Jackson scoring their third goal right on the stroke of full-time.

Precious point for Clerihan at Burncourt



Newly promoted Clerihan salvage a precious point as they held Burncourt Celtic to a scoreless draw in Burncourt last Sunday.

The game in the opening stages was fairly even with both sides enjoying periods of possession but neither capable of turning it to scores. As the half wore on Clerihan began creating the better chances but again failed to take any to leave it scoreless at halftime.

In the second half Burncourt Celtic upped the pace and Shane Ryan and Allen Power in particular in central midfield started to dominate. Both Alan Ward and Paudie Fitzgerald had half chances. As the game entered  the last few minutes Clerihan had a great chance to win it but Martin Burke and Kevin Maguire combined to clear the ball off the goal-line. Then with the game in injury time Burncourt Celtic blew a gilt-edge opportunity when Shane Ryan’s defence splitting pass found Thomas Maher and as he rounded the keeper he struck the ball just past the post from an acute angle. Judging by the missed opportunities from both sides a draw was a fair outcome.

Vee for victory as Rovers start well



Vee Rovers opened their new campaign with the perfect start in League Division 3 as they easily saw off the challenge of Clonmel Celtic B in this game played in Clogheen last Sunday.

Celtic Reserves looking for the first win since being relegated showed some early promise, but once Vee Rovers found their feet the Clogheen side piled on the pressure. This paid dividends when Chris Platt opened up the Celtic defence, as he rounded a number of defenders before picking his spot with 18 minutes gone.

Although that was the only goal of the opening half the Vee Rovers second came a minute after the changeover when Platt capitalised on a defensive mix-up to add his second. On the hour mark it looked like Celtic might make a game of it when their ‘keeper Cianan O’Sullivan beat his opposite number from the penalty spot, but it was just a token of resistance as Vee Rovers wrapped the three points up with two late goals from Warren O’Brien and Martin Grant respectively to run out comfortable winners.