Goal blitz secures shock cup win for Glengoole United

Paddy Purtill Cup Final

Paddy Purtill Cup Final



A three-goal blitz midway through the second half helped 2nd Division Glengoole United shock 1st Division holders Moyglass United and etch their name on the Paddy Purtill Cup for the first time in the 2010-2011 Final played in ideal conditions at Borris/St. Kevin’s excellent facilities of Newhill Park, Littleton on Easter Sunday.

Either side were in contention for two thirds of this game, before three goals in a five minute spell put Glengoole United in the driving seat.

Glengoole United won the early exchanges forcing the opening corner-kick after just 2 minutes and Denis Fahey cleared from Stephen Holohan after 5 minutes. However, it didn’t take long for the first goal to arrive when a speculative cross-cum-shot out on the touchline from Jeff Brennan deceived the Moyglass net-minder Michael Griffin as the ball drifted over his head into the opposite corner of the net to give Glengoole the lead after 9 minutes. That was a wake-up call for a Moyglass United side that were hoping to create history by becoming not only the first side to win back-to-back trophies but also become the first to win it for a second time, were back on level terms just five minutes later. It came from a Michael Hickey well delivered free-kick that saw Denis Fahey rise highest to head powerfully home past the outstretched hand of Paul Hanrahan. At that stage Moyglass got the upper hand and only a number of timely interceptions by the overworked Glengoole defence to deny Andrew Yates and George Webster. Glengoole who were hitting on the break best chances came late in the half with Moyglass defender Denis Fahey making a well timed tackle on Noel Hayes as he broke into the area and Stephen Healy dragged his effort wide across goal with just the ‘keeper to beat as the half-time whistle sounded.

Moyglass United brought on Gavin Morrissey and William O’Brien at the start of the second half, but it was Glengoole who were quickly out of the blocks creating the more clear-cut chances. Almost straight from the restart Stephen Holohan low ball across fell invitingly for Jeff Brennan but the latter failed to make proper contact, minutes later Noel Hayes run and first time centre down the left flank gave Stephen Holohan a free header straight at the ‘keeper. It had looked like Moyglass had weathered that Glengoole storm when disaster struck after 65 minutes. Following one of many long throw-ins by both sides it saw a back header from Jeff Brennan looked to have been cleared as Moyglass net-minder Michael Griffin did well to stop the ball from crossing the line but following up was John McMenamin who bundled the ball home from close range and make it 2-1 to Glengoole. Two minutes later it was 3-1 when a corner-kick was only cleared as far as the edge of the 18 yard area where Noel Hayes fired an unstoppable shot through a crowd of players. Moyglass who were being caught out by the ball over the top of their defenders were 4-1 behind three minutes later when Glengoole United’s keeper Paul Hanrahan route-one clearance was misjudged by the Moyglass defence allowing Jeff Brennan to head past the advancing the Moyglass net-minder. That five minute ‘purple patch’ by Glengoole left a shell-shocked Moyglass side wondering what had happened as they tried to redeem the situation. However, Glengoole continued to frustrate the opposition with their tough tackling and willingness to be first to the breaking ball and then hitting on the break. With Moyglass forced to throw caution to the wind they eventually did pull another goal back with two minutes remaining. George Webster created space in the area before firing home an unstoppable shot into the opposite corner of the net, but it was too little too late to deny Glengoole United this historic victory.

The Man of the Match Award sponsored by John Quirke Jewellers, Cahir went to Noel Hayes with Stuart Hanrahan being presented with the Paddy Purtill Cup to the delight of the large contingent of Glengoole United followers.

Both sides are in action over the coming weeks with Glengoole United playing Killenaule Rovers for a place in Division 1 next season. Moyglass United still have a mathematical chance of promotion to the top flight with 4 league games still to play and on top of that a visit to Cooke Park to face the might of St. Michael’s in the semi-final of the Tipperary Cup.

Glengoole United: Paul Hanrahan, Shane McCarthy, Trevor O’Neill, John McMenamin, Shane Hanrahan, Noel Hayes, Stephen Healy, Stuart Hanrahan, Harry Hayes, Jeff Brennan, Stephen Holohan Subs: James Brennan, Michael O’Dwyer, Michael Heffernan, Jimmy Corcoran, Aidan Maher, Michael Power

Moyglass United: Michael Griffin, Michael Hickey, Denis Fahey, John Lacey, Joe Lacey, George Webster, Micheal Lacey, Brian Murphy, Andrew Yeates, John O’Brien, Stephen Harrington Subs: Gavin Morrissey, Michael Kelly, Sean Tynan, William O’Brien, Keith Phelan

Officials: N. Coughlan, P. Keane, J. Teehan