Trevor Downey’s penalty help Rosegreen into semi-finals

Shamrock Lounge, Cahir Paddy Purtill Cup Quarter-Finals

Shamrock Lounge, Cahir Paddy Purtill Cup Quarter-Finals



Second Division Rosegreen Rangers produced the shock of the round in the Paddy Purtill Cup overcoming First Division highflyers St. Nicholas FC to qualify for the semi-final at Danny O’Dwyer Park, Solohead last Sunday.

The only goal of a hard fought contest came after just ten minutes when Rosegreen Rangers were awarded a penalty after Eoin Byrnes was fouled. From the resultant spot-kick Trevor Downey made no mistake. After that goal Rosegreen shut up shop soaking up the Solohead side’s onslaught whilst hitting on the beak.

The second half was equally frustrating for a St. Nicholas side that enjoyed plenty of possession in the middle of the park, but failed to penetrate a resilient Rosegreen defence. In the final ten minutes, Rosegreen denied a second goal by a brilliant save from St. Nicholas keeper Mark Lowry whilst at the other end a Colm Riordan free-kick skimmed the crossbar in the dying seconds.

Paddy O’Donnell hits hat-trick as Cahir win



A hat-trick from Paddy O’Donnell helped First Division leaders Cahir Park qualify for the Paddy Purtill Cup semi-final after seeing off the challenge of fellow First Division side Killenaule Rovers at the Ardfinnan Road, Cahir last Sunday.

Cahir Park who visit Waterford this weekend to face Hibernians in the last 32 of the Munster Junior Cup took time to break down a hard working Killenaule Rovers side. Cahir Park eventually broke the deadlock when Paddy O’Donnell rounded the ‘keeper to finish coolly, on 38 minutes for his first of the afternoon.

The second half would be the home side’s purple patch with three goals added in a bright, blistering five-minute spell. A Denis Peters pile-driver smashed into the opposite corner of the opposing net, the keeper clutching at air to make it 2-0. Paddy O’Donnell’s second of the afternoon was on 50 minutes when rounding the keeper once again. O’Donnell completed his hat-trick on 54 minutes once again rounding the ‘keeper to make it 4-0. To their credit, Killenaule Rovers kept up their largely defensive game and by pure effort, kept the home side at bay to keep the score at four for the day.

Kieran O’Callaghan double sees Galbally advance



A double from Kieran O’Callaghan helped First Division Galbally United qualify for the semi-finals of the Paddy Purtill Cup after seeing off the challenge of Second Division Tipperary Town at the VEC Grounds, Tipp town last Sunday.

Galbally United bossed the opening forty-five minutes getting a deserved opener on 23 minutes when Kieran O’Callaghan found the room in the penalty area to turn home a cross in from the right hand wing. Tipperary Town hoping to win this trophy at the first time of asking failed to penetrate a rock-solid Galbally rearguard and the Co. Limerick side made it 2-0 on 38 minutes when Kieran O’Callaghan converted from the penalty spot after being fouled in the box.

It was a similar scenario throughout the opening stages of the second half with Galbally United well on top and Tipp Town FC hanging on. However, after 58 minutes, like a bolt out of the blue, a screamer from 30 yards by Pat Fitzgerald proved unstoppable giving Tipp Town a renewed lease of life. From that stage onwards Galbally United were put on the back-foot, but dogged defending saw the Co. Limerick side hold on for the victory.

Adrian Cleere extra-time double sees Ballingarry through



(After extra-time)

Ballingarry Albion had to rely on extra-time to overcome the challenge of fellow First Division side Cullen-Lattin to qualify for the last four of the Paddy Purtill Cup at the Community Sportsfield, Commons last Sunday.

Ballingarry Albion got off to a great start opening up a 2-0 lead with goals from Ricky Cashin on 10 minutes and Michael Ivors (junior) on 22 minutes. Cullen-Lattin responded with a goal from Barry O’Dwyer, but Ballingarry restored their two-goal advantage with a Thomas Donovan goal after 38 minutes.

It was looking like Ballingarry had done enough, but on 69 minutes Cullen-Lattin were thrown a life-line when they were awarded a penalty that was dispatched to the net by Liam Murphy. This gave the visitors a new lease of life and they were back on level terms on 78 minutes when John Burke was on target forcing another twenty minutes extra-time.

Ballingarry Albion regained their composure in extra-time and Adrian Cleere scored in both periods giving them a hard fought victory.