TSDL Division Three round-up

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 3

Clonmel Credit Union League Division 3



Pacesetters Ballypatrick opened up a four-point lead at the top of League Division 3 and in the process relegated Clonmel Celtic B for a third consecutive season in Clonmel last Sunday.

Even though there was a change of venue for this game as Ballypatrick Community Sportsfield was underwater, it did not matter as a Ballypatrick side that missed promotion last season in a play-off were on top from the kick-off. They took this game by the scruff of the neck from the opening whistle and put a Clonmel Celtic B side that were battling relegation under a lot of pressure.  The deadlock was broken on 10 minutes when a passing movement starting in midfield by James Egan, Stephen O’Reilly and James Geraghty picked out Barry Kiely, who turned perfectly and placed his shot under the keeper to put Ballypatrick 1-0 up and claim his 22nd goal of the season.

The second half saw Clonmel Celtic B began to cause the Ballypatrick defence some problems, but midway through the half Ballypatrick doubled their lead albeit against the run of play. Brian Landers broke down a Celtic attack laying the ball off to Stephen O’Reilly on the right wing and he crossed the ball into the box to find Paul Landers in space who hit a neat first time shot to make the score 2-0 and claim his 16th goal of the season.  Clonmel Celtic reserves to their credit tried once again to get back into the game only for Ballypatrick to make it 3-0 on 70 minutes. Again, it was from a Celtic attack that broke down that found Stephen O’Reilly who laid the ball off to substitute Paul Whitely who hit a nice shot to claim Ballypatrick’s third and decisive goal. 

This victory sees pacesetters Ballypatrick open up a four-point lead on 22 points with 1 home game and 2 away games left. Clonmel Celtic B faces life in Division 4 next season after collecting just 5 points have 2 games left.

Geno Lonergan goal puts Redmondstown back in hunt



A goal by Geno Lonergan midway through the second half secured Redmondstown the three League Division 3 points as they re-ignited their promotion hopes after clipping the wings of highflyers Vee Rovers in Clonmel last Sunday.

With just nine points separating second from second last every point secured is a bonus one. Second place Vee Rovers were expected to secure maximum points from this visit to Clonmel, but Redmondstown had other ideas and came closest in a scoreless opening half with Mark Olney finding the post an obstacle.

After the break chances were again at a premium as defences continued to come out on top. It took a mistake by the Vee Rovers net-minder to eventually break the deadlock on 65 minutes. From a poor kick-out found the ball found Brendan Boland and the Vee Rovers keeper did well to recover as he prevented the ball from entering the net, but it fell to Geno Lonergan and he was left with a simple tap-in. Vee Rovers applied pressure for the remainder of the game, but Redmondstown held on to secure the three precious points.

Redmondstown move up to third place on 17 points with 4 games left while Vee Rovers slip to fourth on 15 points also with 4 games left.

Clerihan share spoils with Cashel Town B


Clerihan FC kept the promotion hopes from League Division 3 alive after sharing the spoils in a scoreless draw with fellow promotion contenders Cashel Town B played in very windy and cold conditions at Palmers Hill, Cashel last Sunday.

Despite what was at stake for both teams it turned out as a game of very few chances. Both were guilty of missing the few chances that were created as defences came out on top throughout. In the end a draw was a fair result in the end.

The outcome sees Clerihan remain joint third on 15 points with 4 games left. Cashel Town B are on 14 points.

Burncourt salvage point to keep promotion hopes alive



Burncourt Celtic salvaged a share of the points in this League Division 3 clash with Donohill & District in Burncourt last Sunday.

Burncourt Celtic got off to a flyer with Pat Burke finding the net after being set up by Michael O’Neill and Chris English on 5 minutes. The best goal of the game came from Donohill & District on 16 minutes when Joey Shanahan collected the ball on the halfway line and rode a number of despairing tackles before laying in on a plate John McGrath to leave it all square at the break.

The second half was just two minutes old when Donohill took the lead for the first time when Ray Barry pounced on a loose ball following a corner-kick to make it 2-1. Burncourt who had drawn two of their home games regained control and after a constant barrage got a deserved equaliser after 66 minutes. A free-kick from Alan Ward caused panic in the Donohill penalty area allowing Paudie Fitzgerald the room to fire home after his initial shot was stopped by the keeper to salvage a share of the spoils.

Burncourt Celtic move up to joint third in the table on 15 points with 3 games left. Although Donohill & District remain second from bottom on 9 points they have 5 games left and are well capable of surviving the dreaded drop.